Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying gift vouchers etc for people in US?

Options
  • 07-08-2013 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A friend of mine is living in California, and it's her birthday tomorrow. Does anyone know of sites you can buy gift vouchers on using a credit card, so that people who live abroad can use them? Or would anyone have any ideas for getting gifts for people who live in a different country?

Any tips appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You should be able to buy dollar amazon.com giftcards (well codes) from amazon.com. That's realistically about it that I can think of.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As suggested you could go to amazon.com and buy a gift voucher they can use,
    just make sure to go to amazon.com and NOT amazon.co.uk,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

My tip is if Habitat, GAME, HMV et al have taught us anything... it's don't by gift vouchers.

Whoever convinced us it was rude to simply send someone some money (cheque etc) - is worthy of a marketing job at Apple or Coka Cola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I've bought a workmate who lived in San Francisco a voucher for his local bbq place when we had an office bbq one day, went down a treat. It was a place that you paid for your voucher online and they mailed it to you :) We just looked up his address on Google Maps and picked a restaurant with decent reviews near us & I'm full sure he had a far nice meal than we did

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My tip is if Habitat, GAME, HMV et al have taught us anything... it's don't by gift vouchers.

Amazon - revenue of about 60Bn a year and operating in many more markets than purely retail - are somewhat out of the league of smaller firms where the writing was clearly on the wall for ages.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Amazon - revenue of about 60Bn a year and operating in many more markets than purely retail - are somewhat out of the league of smaller firms where the writing was clearly on the wall for ages.

I'd place more faith in currency than in currency used to purchase a token with t&cs attached for the same value of the currency, it makes absolutely no logical sense to buy vouchers, in the majority of circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The risk is negligible with Amazon and the selection is amazing in the US. Absolutely the best option

athtrasna wrote: »
    The risk is negligible with Amazon and the selection is amazing in the US. Absolutely the best option

I'm still confused. A fifty euro note, accepted every where, convertible to any currency, doesn't expire.

An Amazon voucher - expiry, spendable in Mcdonalds, T&Cs that allow suspension of acceptance, convertible to alternative currency?

I'm still confused. A fifty euro note, accepted every where, convertible to any currency, doesn't expire.

An Amazon voucher - expiry, spendable in Mcdonalds, T&Cs that allow suspension of acceptance, convertible to alternative currency?

The OP wants to buy a voucher for a friend in California whose birthday is tomorrow. They want to buy a voucher, Amazon gives the most options for redemption and is almost totally safe.

The OP wants to buy a voucher for a friend in California whose birthday is tomorrow. They want to buy a voucher, Amazon gives the most options for redemption and is almost totally safe.

Pay pal, western union, a bank. Birthday was three days ago.

• Advertisement

Pay pal, western union, a bank. Birthday was three days ago.

Missed the post date, Paypal and Western Union and in fact a bank all charge massive commission rates.

Missed the post date, Paypal and Western Union and in fact a bank all charge massive commission rates.

Thought it was free to US tbh from a paypal account to another paypal account but I'll stand corrected. I still hate gift vouchers and see it as a pointless exercise to convert money into tokens. A nice phone call and a quick purchase of something would be far better imho.

Advertisement