Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby will only breastfeed lying down! help!

Options
  • 07-08-2013 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, in the past week my 3 month old has decided he only wants to breastfeed lying down. I have tried the nursing cushion, laid back position, all other positions but to no avail. He will go hungry until I breastfeed lying down!
    He is underweight so I don't want him to be missing feeds so it means I'm tied to the house. Today I went to visit a friend and had to go to a bedroom to feed him.
    He kicks and cries if I put him in the cradle position. I brought him to the doctor to rule out ear/throat infections and he's fine.
    I'm going on holidays next week and I'm dreading it. It is so stressful.
    Has anyone else been through this? Did the baby come back round to cradle position. I'm hoping its a phase!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Are you near any support groups? I'd really recommend getting to one if you can at all... where abouts are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

A support group is a good idea.

You say you tried other positions- do you mean you put yourself in other positions or the baby?! Perhaps a rugby hold would be more comfortable for him. Try looking up some alternatives on YouTube.

Finally, around 2 months my son decided he would only feed if I was standing and walking while he was latched on. Only lasted a couple of days so hopefully this lying down will pass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 star29

Thank you. Got through to a lovely woman in Cuidiu and she suggested as he's 3 months now, to space out feeds a little,(something I was told not to do by La Leche) he may not be hungry and that's why he's kicking and screaming when I go to feed him. I stretched out to 3 hourly and he is taking it in cradle positon. Phew!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Wow, I would have never have thought of that. My fella would get wind if I feed any other way other than lying down so I spent days on the ground with a toddler looking at me add if I was mad.

glad you got sorted before the holidays.

Advertisement