Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple ID password reset

• 07-08-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Over the past few weeks I have been getting emails from Apple to say that my password has been reset or emails giving me instructions on how to reset it, even though I have not wanted to do so. When this happens I don't click through on the link but go into it from my browser and reset. I have reset my password about 6 times . . . . Has this happened to anyone else.? What can I do to stop it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

Yes,this has been going on with my account aswell,no idea why it's happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Are you sure it's a genuine apple email?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

I really don't know . . It looks genuine . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I've been getting these too but they differ. Some ask me to update my info others say password reset.

They are clearly fake as if you hover over the link it brings you to a non secure non apple site.

If its not the same mails that I'm getting my guess is someone is spoofing you and putting your email address into http://iforgot.apple.com

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

I've been getting these for the last six weeks, not impressed?

Is there anything to be worried about? Obviously i delete the mail and dont click the link but i have quite a unique name so its not somebody making a spelling mistake...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I heard a rstory that this is a known bug with iTunes. Basically if you email address is joe.bloggs@gmail.com apple store it in their database as joebloggs@gmail.com

So if joe.bloggs@gmail.com goes to reset their password, the email gets sent to joebloggs@gmail.com

So to sum up, there may be someone with a similar email to yours trying to reset their password. Either way, don't click any link obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

its a real email tho, iforgot.apple.com is registered to Apple Inc. according to VeriSign

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If the email is genuine then it's just somebody who thinks your email is theirs and is trying to log into your Apple ID. If it keeps happening associate a different email address (preferably one with numbers) with your Apple ID and delete the old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It happened to my wife's apple id a few weeks ago.
    I'm the backup email so I got the password reset request, I'd forgotten I'd set that up so I was pretty confused to get a genuine apple reset email to my email but with my wife's name at the top.

I have a custom domain for email too which made it particularly suspicious.
    Unlikely to be a simple mistake on iforgot.apple.com

I didn't notice anything odd with her account afterwards, she doesn't have any payment details on it anyway.
    It hasn't happened since at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I heard a rstory that this is a known bug with iTunes. Basically if you email address is joe.bloggs@gmail.com apple store it in their database as joebloggs@gmail.com

So if joe.bloggs@gmail.com goes to reset their password, the email gets sent to joebloggs@gmail.com

So to sum up, there may be someone with a similar email to yours trying to reset their password. Either way, don't click any link obviously.

mine is gmail but with gmail accounts the dots are ignored

so j.oe.blo.gss@gmail.com would go to joe.bloggs@gmail.com or joe.blo.ggs@gmail.com the dots are ignored. I have a very unique name, as I said so it is highly unlikely that it is a simple mistake.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I kept getting these on a old ipod account I had years back. I actually had someone download a poker app before I changed the password, so the account was obviously compromised. Not phishing related and if the account was compromised it's odd others I used those details on weren't. Anyways to sum up:
    • I received about 20 requests after changing passwords
    • Apple support were absolutely useless, couldn't tell me anything
    • I asked for account to be closed or them to disable it, but they couldn't
    • I tried another tactic of forwarding on the requests back to them and they stopped.

Something was possibly compromised down the line. Not sure if it was my secret question or what caused the initial problem. The password wasn't weak, but I can't remember the security question I set. I did have other accounts using those details (FB, Twitter and a few more big ones) and they were not compromised. I have obviously now changed passwords. But I think there may be more to this that Apple aren't admitting to. I wouldn't have logged into that account in years until a few months back I received a app downloaded email for a gambling app. I had no payment details on file luckily

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

The last time I got a message to say my password had been reset, I went into iTunes and tried to download an app to check and yes, it had been reset even thought I hadn't done it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Just got this one today. It's a Phishing email. Had me guessing for a minute.

296622.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

That's a very impressive phishing email if it's true, because that's a known Apple email. They always send out a mail if something is downloaded on a new device.

Zcott wrote: »
    That's a very impressive phishing email if it's true, because that's a known Apple email. They always send out a mail if something is downloaded on a new device.

I had done some googling and it seemed that it was a phishing email address. When I reset my password from apple website I was emailed from a different address than do_not_reply@apple.com

Maybe it was legit, just what I read it said it wasn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Check your purchase history for anything unusual.

Yeh that App was never downloaded nor in my purchase history. Which led me to believe it wasn't compromised in the first place.

SO if it's legit not really sure what happened!

Advertisement