Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good priced Kitchens in Cork

Options
  • 07-08-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I’m looking for recommendations for places to buy a new kitchen. I am not looking for high end but something on a tight budget.

Where are the most competitive priced kitchens for sale ?

Thanks
    Barr :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Dont really know to be honest - Cash & Carry Kitchens on Tramore Road ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I know a couple of people who have used Cash & Carry kitchens and were very happy with what they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

I used cash and carry kitchen's earlier this year. They were fantastic. They recommended ways that I could save money and fitted it in half a day. They worked out cheaper than B&Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Cash and Carry Kitchens and B&Q are you best bet for a budget kitchen usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Cash and Carry Kitchens and B&Q are you best bet for a budget kitchen usually.

Cash and Carry anyway. I'm not sure if B&Q work out majorly less expenisve but they do have a very good team there. Very helpful.

I wouldn't rule out a slightly higher spec.

I found David Lane in Little Island and Creative Designs in Ovens excellent to deal with a very competitive too. It will be more expensive but you will get a much better product and possible worth it in the long run.

Worth getting a quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 corkdad

I went with a well known kitchen guy in carrigaline and the results were not great, lots of chips on the carcass and shelves. In the end it was pointless complaining as i dont think that he was capable of sorting out the problems. We had to point out loads of problems and he talked a lot but didn't sort them out. Still not sure how to proceed, as getting him back might give me a heart attack with the stress!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

corkdad wrote: »
    I went with a well known kitchen guy in carrigaline and the results were not great, lots of chips on the carcass and shelves. In the end it was pointless complaining as i dont think that he was capable of sorting out the problems. We had to point out loads of problems and he talked a lot but didn't sort them out. Still not sure how to proceed, as getting him back might give me a heart attack with the stress!!

Hopefully you didnt pay the full amount upfront. List all the issues, decide what you think is a fair final price to pay and tell him either fix them or you will need to hire a carpenter to do the work.

On a similar note, we ended with a great kitchen from David Lane in Little Island. much better service and value compared with the likes of Kube.

Had the option to go with him, just thought I'd get on better with the other. How wrong was I.... It was the only time on the build where i felt we made a bad decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Stay away from the House of Coolmore in Shanbally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cash and carry kitchens are ones I've heard good recommendations for as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

mcko wrote: »

Is it haunted?

evilivor wrote: »
    Is it haunted?

Wasn't them we went with, they seemed a bit disorganised when we visited, no one there to talk to etc. Gave us a dvd which showed images of kitchens, surprise, surprise... Could have come from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I used Woodlands Kitchens in the Sarsfield Road and was more than happy.

Yes their showroom is attached to the workshop and isn't the slickest or poshest showroom ever but they had great ideas and were the only one that could do what I wanted. I wanted a kitchen and generally when I see a fancy showroom with polished chrome, coffee, etc I tend to get worried as I'm going to be paying for that through my purchase....

Then about two years later I got them back to make a small change (Extra clearance around a boiler) and it was done within 1 day at no charge. I was more than surprised that they did it for no charge as I had money in the hand to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

corkdad wrote: »
    Wasn't them we went with, they seemed a bit disorganised when we visited, no one there to talk to etc. Gave us a dvd which showed images of kitchens, surprise, surprise... Could have come from anywhere.

New poster with 4 posts knocking 2 kitchen providers answering a thread that was last updated 5 months ago...so who would you recommend corkdad? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mama79

We got our new kitchen with Cash & Carry kitchens in Tramore Road in October. Have to say I couldn't fault them. We had one or two areas in the kitchen which needed a bit of a workaround and between Declan (the sales guy) and Tim the kitchen fitter they sorted it no probs. Were very good on price compared to Kube (for our budget & layout we could only get the kitchen in white gloss but C&C allowed us to mix & match colours).

My sister in law had a bad experience with B&Q so I wouldn't go near them...but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

ianobrien wrote: »
    I used Woodlands Kitchens in the Sarsfield Road and was more than happy.

I also used Woodlands & found them easy & efficient to deal with.

Hi Loire,
    I am sitting in the kitchen provided by one of the above. I am not some type of crank, I was trying to warn people that my experience was not marvellous. I have no suggestions, if that is what you think. I have had a guy, who is perceived as being at the top of his trade, provide me with a kitchen, with panels out of line, there are numerous chips on the carcass of the kitchen.
    I have no recommendations, as I have NO faith in anyone who provides kitchens after my experience.... Though perhaps, I would recommend IKEA..... at least they are not expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi corkdad,

That's fair enough - you could probably see where I was coming from though. Sorry about your kitchen too by the way, can only imagine the stress after all the time and money that you put into it. Cash & Carry and IKEA seem to be the way to go. We've friends (in Dublin) who are on the 2nd IKEA kitchen (they moved house) and highly recommend it.

Best of luck,
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My house has a €450 Ikea Kitchen its brilliant. Me and two of the lads put it together one afternoon and I paid 50 to a plumber to fit a new sink, job done. I have it 5 years now and the plan was to get 5 out of it but there isn't a scratch on it. Its just a plain white kitchen, with red handles on the doors. Big 6ft pull out larder unit included in that aswell.

Im thinking of upgrading the doors to a shiny red, be a simple job too.

Ive seen a few Ikea kitchens and few B&Q the ikea is much better quality and has thicker worktops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dwiseman

Express kitchens are great, purchased 3 kitchens for different house from them over the last 3 years. We shopped around alot looking for quality and good service at a good price and I couldnt fault them in anyway. 6 months after fitting one of the kitchens some of the drawers weren't alligning correctly so I rang express and a guy came out the next day, re-alligned them, no charge. They have showrooms at turners cross and on blarney road. I have no affiliation with them whatsoever other than being a happy customer willingly recommending them to anyone!!

http://www.expresskitchens.net/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I'm amazed by all the positive feedback about cash & carry. I found them to be very 'unclear' on various things related to the spec of their kitchens. I was fed a lot of BS and felt pressured to sign the order form and pay over the deposit.
    I had specific questions in relation to the fitting of the kitchen and the reply was " you'll have to check that with the fitters" and it was their own fitters!

I just felt they were promising the stars until you signed that order form and paid the non-refundable deposit.

I obviously didn't go with them. This was the experience in the Tramore rd. shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SamV

rob316 wrote: »
    My house has a €450 Ikea Kitchen its brilliant. Me and two of the lads put it together one afternoon and I paid 50 to a plumber to fit a new sink, job done. I have it 5 years now and the plan was to get 5 out of it but there isn't a scratch on it. Its just a plain white kitchen, with red handles on the doors. Big 6ft pull out larder unit included in that aswell.

Im thinking of upgrading the doors to a shiny red, be a simple job too.

Ive seen a few Ikea kitchens and few B&Q the ikea is much better quality and has thicker worktops.
    We've an Ikea kitchen 4 years now and am very happy with it. We bought the kitchen and appliances and had it fitted by their installers. The appliances are made by Whirlpool and we got everything except the fridge (electric oven, ceramic hob, extractor and dishwasher) from Ikea. At the time, for the same money we were getting quoted for kitchen and installation only, no appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at upgrading my kitchen.

I've only just started my research on what style kitchen I would like..but it looks like I would definitely be needing an electrician to move the oven to another part of the kitchen and perhaps a plumber and tiler aswel.

Any more feedback would be great! I'll check out some of the above kitchen suppliers in the meantime. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

ElecKtrA wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm currently looking at upgrading my kitchen.

I've only just started my research on what style kitchen I would like..but it looks like I would definitely be needing an electrician to move the oven to another part of the kitchen and perhaps a plumber and tiler aswel.

Any more feedback would be great! I'll check out some of the above kitchen suppliers in the meantime. :D

Probably too short notice for you but IKEA are selling off their Faktum kitchen range at a reduced price in a one day only event this Wednesday 21st May, see middle of the page in link

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/store/dublin/offers

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/categories/tools/faktum/

The second page contains pdfs which list the prices of various Faktum fixtures and fittings, I don't know if the prices displayed in those pdfs is the current price which will be reduced on Wednesday, or the reduced price. I'd be inclined to say it's the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Just an update on this. We did alot of shopping around and went with Express Kitchens.

They were the best value and the kitchen was great quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Keith123

mcko wrote: »

Am in the market for a new kitchen, been to a few places over the weeks , I liked what they do , am I missing something

Keith123 wrote: »
    Am in the market for a new kitchen, been to a few places over the weeks , I liked what they do , am I missing something

Got a kitchen fitted and had problems with the granite got it replaced after 2 years of hassel solicitors fees lies and grief.
    Not the service i expected from a bespoke kitchen firm.
    I would not recommend them and i spent a serious amount of money on the kitchen and got a lot of grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 redskip

I don't usually post but I read this and felt I'd offer my tuppence.

We went with House of Coolmore for our kitchen, which was fitted last year. They are certainly pricey - the higher end of the market - but we were absolutely delighted with the product and service. We had a few issues with the kitchen space when we went to them (and others) and they came up with some excellent ideas which we didn't get from other similar suppliers. I can only comment on our own experience.

Also went with Cash & Carry a few years ago (for a different house). Obviously a completely different spec but, again, we were very happy with teh product and service.

I'd recommend them both, but clearly it depends what your budget is and what you are looking for.

I find it is how well a company sorts out problems defines how good a company it is. If the House of Coolmore sorted my problems promptly and professionally then it would have been a different matter, we spent almost €35,000 on a kitchen and nearly ended up in court to resolve an issue for a couple of grand, I could not understand how they were so bad at customer service.I put it down to the boom and having to much work on to worry about a small issue for a couple of grand. Still my issue ruined the centre piece of our new home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

Sorry to reopen the thread, but looking at upgrading the kitchen at the moment, in Cork area. Would the above companies still be recommended? i.e. Cash and Carry, Creative Design, Express etc

Or are there any other (reasonable priced) suggestions?

Advertisement