Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it not possible to have dimmable lighting that doesn't hum or buzz?

Options
  • 07-08-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

we've just redone the entire electrics in the house and have a few circuits on dimmable LED downlights. I didn't think there would be a sound from them but there is. it is very low buzz but it is there. the electrician now tells me its unavoidable with all dimmers. is this true??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Just did my sitting room with dimmable leds.had the same problem. buy a trailing edge or universal dimmer. Sorted mine right out

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Linto

kramer1 wrote: »
    Just did my sitting room with dimmable leds.had the same problem. buy a trailing edge or universal dimmer. Sorted mine right out

Is the hum gone totally? I wonder why he didn't fit this in first place?
    Was your him/buzz coming from switch or lights?

Originally all the bulbs and the switch were humming it sounded like a wasps nest ,now theres a barely audible hum from the switch only.you should also double check and make sure that your bulbs are dimmable, some aren't.

Originally all the bulbs and the switch were humming it sounded like a wasps nest ,now theres a barely audible hum from the switch only.you should also double check and make sure that your bulbs are dimmable, some aren't.

Yes, the bulbs are dimmable Philips LEDs but there is still a slight humming from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Head wreckin' hum from ours too :(

• Advertisement

Linto wrote: »
    Yes, the bulbs are dimmable Philips LEDs but there is still a slight humming from them.

Change the dimmer.should fix the problem.

Change the dimmer.should fix the problem.

So you think the hum from the lights (dimmable Philips LEDs) may be attributable to the dimmer?
    I should find out what dimmer switch he used and then request one of the 2 you mention above - right?

Thanks again!!

Yep.that should do the trick.

Advertisement