Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options
  • 07-08-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Was thinking if buying the other half a kindle for her birthday. She's not a big reader but she's been saying a lot recently that she would love to get into it. Would it be a wise investment dyou reckon? Any advice would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

It is a good way to read books. Great choice of books on amazon.co.uk, many reasonably priced (Kindle Daily Deal gives some good results!) and some other sources. I'd suggest the Paperwhite model, the light's a real boon. I still read "real" books but I find the Kindle is so convenient! Slips handily in a bag or many coat pockets.

Downsides - illustrations never come out as well, so some non-fiction titles (e.g. history books with maps and photos) aren't as good in digital format, and you do miss the tactile experience of a book. I also occasionally miss the gentle reminder of where you are in a book that you have from picking it up, seeing the cover, opening it at the bookmark - with the Kindle it's sometimes a jolt to drop back into a passage, but that's a tiny tiny personal thing.

Upsides - immensely convenient. There's always something to read on it - so you don't have to bring 2 books with you as you get to the end of one. Travel convenience is amazing. And it's very easy and encouraging to browse through books on amazon and I've definitely read books I wouldn't have picked up in a bookshop.

Other suggestions - library membership? Not quite as snazzy, but library services up and down the country are generally good, great selection of books that are free to read all year long!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭donnbradman

Prenderb wrote: »
    It is a good way to read books. Great choice of books on amazon.co.uk, many reasonably priced (Kindle Daily Deal gives some good results!) and some other sources. I'd suggest the Paperwhite model, the light's a real boon. I still read "real" books but I find the Kindle is so convenient! Slips handily in a bag or many coat pockets.

Downsides - illustrations never come out as well, so some non-fiction titles (e.g. history books with maps and photos) aren't as good in digital format, and you do miss the tactile experience of a book. I also occasionally miss the gentle reminder of where you are in a book that you have from picking it up, seeing the cover, opening it at the bookmark - with the Kindle it's sometimes a jolt to drop back into a passage, but that's a tiny tiny personal thing.

Upsides - immensely convenient. There's always something to read on it - so you don't have to bring 2 books with you as you get to the end of one. Travel convenience is amazing. And it's very easy and encouraging to browse through books on amazon and I've definitely read books I wouldn't have picked up in a bookshop.

Other suggestions - library membership? Not quite as snazzy, but library services up and down the country are generally good, great selection of books that are free to read all year long!

That's a great reply. Thanks very much. Think I will purchase it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Since I got my Kindle I have probably become a better reader. You'll always have books on hand and when connected to an Amazon account it's easy to purchase and download via wireless.

I think they are a great investment especially when you want to get someone to read more, it's also great if you have kids as I've often gotten free children's books and let my niece take it.

Highly recommend the Paperwhite version :)

If reading in bed is her thing, the paperwhite is the way to go. Especially if you have a partner who likes the beside reading light off.

I read more with the kindle, because it's so handy to carry with me. I wouldn't be without it now, and I can't think of any downsides, once you get used to it. I confidently predict she'll love it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

I got my Kindle a couple of years ago. It was a gift, having always said I would never use ereaders I was suprised to get it as a gift.

Now I cant be without it, great choice, plentiful supply of books on hand. As a poster above mentioned I have become a better reader with it.

In saying all of the above I still make the odd purchase of a book in stores, to me nothing beats the feel of an actual book. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Miss Mayhem

I got my Kindle Paperwhite earlier this year and I love it! I definitely agree with the people who said that they've become a better reader because of it. It's so easy to download books to it and I love that I can change the brightness of the screen. Buy her a USB charger to go with it because re-charging it over the PC is a bit annoying.

Advertisement