Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to visit New York?

Options
  • 07-08-2013 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

I really want to go to New York! I have saved enough and have days owed to me at work but I don't know whether to go in the next few weeks before the evenings get darker (my mum said this would be best so I would see more be safer etc) but I would prefer to go first week in December when it is all christmassy! Basically I want people's opinions on when would be best and is christmas in New York all its cracked up to be? Bear in mind I will be going alone, 23 year old female! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you go in the first week of December, you will pay an arm and a leg for a hotel room. Thanksgiving to Christmas is probably the busiest touristy season of the year in NYC. As you won't have someone to share the burden of the cost with you, that will be very, very pricey.

It can also be bitterly, bitterly cold in NY in the winter, far more so than it is here. The wind chill factor makes it feel a lot colder than it actually is. So while the city may look lovely and Christmassy, being out of doors sightseeing may not be all that enjoyable.

Personally, I think that the best time to visit NYC is either in the spring or the autumn, when you don't have the oppressive heat of summer, or the extreme cold of winter to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I love the heat in NY, I think it adds another dimension to the sensory overload you get on a first visit.

I've never been during Nov/Dec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

You lucky thing. I spent a few months in NY on my own because of work and loved every minute.

IMO, it's actually very safe. Just take the usual common sense precautions - don't stray too far from the beaten path. Even in Manhattan you can find yourself wandering into quiet and poorly lit areas.

If you are bit claustrophobic, the crowds at rush hour on the subway can be a bit intimidating.

When I am on my own, I have a tendency to wear headphones, but I would advise against that - besides, New York is an assault on all of your senses and you need to experience it all!

The heat when I was there was very oppressive - but you can deal with it. Better than the cold IMO - Americans love their air-con so if you go in winter you will probably have lots of layers, but if you plan on doing a lot of shopping, the aircon will be on full blast inside making quiet warm, meaning you will have to carry your layers as well as your shopping.

In the summer, you have the air-con set to freezer! Nicer going from the heat to that than vice versa, plus you can travel lighter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Pretty much September-December is peak season in NYC, it's true accommodation is pricey. But there are still smart ways, hotwire and priceline have bargains almost year round, travelzoo.com has specials too.

I wouldn't worry too much about safety, I feel safer around most of Manhattan than I do around Dublin. As a lone female I've had no problem walking Times Square to Fitzpatrick's on Lexington well after dark.

I like January in NY, sure it can be cold but wrap up. Not as busy, not as pricey.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I like February, however I love the cold. I have been during the summer and tbh the heat makes the place smell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

Living here a few years now and Autumn is easily my favourite time of year here. We were expecting a fairly warm August which hasn't happened yet. But ya I'd suggest Late September to early August. On the safety side. I've never had a problem in New York. It's alot safer than any Irish city in my opinion. You'll be surprised at the strong police presence is even.

A big thing that alot of people here are using now more than ever is Airbnb.com. I've yet to hear any problems with it for accommodation. I work in Location Sound and it's my preference if travelling and working Upstate or out of state. You'll save on accommodation costs. Especially if you elect to stay in Manhattan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    but I don't know whether to go in the next few weeks before the evenings get darker...

Unfortunately NYC is a lot further south than Ireland is and right now night has practically fallen by 8:15pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

There is no bad time to visit NYC as there is always something going on. As said try airbnb as even the most basic hotels can charge exorbitant rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

NY in December is cold and expensive but beautiful and great shopping deals to be had for your Christmas shopping. Going in September would give you the best weather (not too hot or cold) and best deals in terms of hotels, plus summer vacation is over so it won;t be too busy in the touristy spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

The Fall is the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

Go around Thanksgiving - I fly back on the day or the day before. (Airports are very busy but in a good way). The atmosphere is so much better than at Christmas time imo as it is a bigger celebration there!

If you are going shopping, go to the bus station for tickets to Woodbury Common, cheaper there! Go early in the morning as the afternoons can get busy in the shops. They have sales leading upto Thanksgiving. It's about an hr on a bus to and from. Buses are approximate every hour. Again, IMO it is the best of the outlets and a million times better than Macy's!! Macy's doesn't compare to the one in San Fransisco from my experience!

A walk around Central Park in November on a dry day is a must - have to say I don't find it as cold as Ireland!! They have maps to guide you just inside the gate. Stroll up 5th Avenue after & see Rocketfeller etc.

Taxi's are cheap enough. If you are going to a show, walk along Broadway mid-day and go into the Theatre when they open - better selection of tickets & seats if you are not stuck to a specific day.

If you are on your own, I would say stay in a hotel with a bar so you can pass away some time if you need. Not all have bars. You can also order food into your room in any hotel if you want but there is SO much to see, you wouldn't need to.

It is a really magical city & the pace is great - sometimes it is lovely to sit and look out at it all going by. I have found it safe, use your common sense though!

Enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

therealme wrote: »
    If you are going shopping, go to the bus station for tickets to Woodbury Common, cheaper there! Go early in the morning as the afternoons can get busy in the shops. They have sales leading upto Thanksgiving. It's about an hr on a bus to and from. Buses are approximate every hour. Again, IMO it is the best of the outlets and a million times better than Macy's!! Macy's doesn't compare to the one in San Fransisco from my experience!

If you are going to a show, walk along Broadway mid-day and go into the Theatre when they open - better selection of tickets & seats if you are not stuck to a specific day.

Sorry but I have to disagree with both these points. Woodbury Common is ok but there are great bargains to be had downtown between sales, clearance rails, visitor discounts, online vouchers and places like DSW. I wouldn't waste a day trekking there and back, especially on a first trip to NYC.

For theatre tickets, go either to TKTS if you don't mind queueing on the day or pre-book using discount codes on broadwaybox.com (my preferred option) or playbill.com. Yes the theatres sometimes have day seats but full price tickets are often over $100 so I'd rather get a discount.

Each to their own I guess ;)

I like going into a shop where the things are really well laid out, buying something and not going through rails, using online vouchers etc. I like to buy good quality things & think Woodbury is great for that. Don't do hassle ;)

Never paid anymore than $60 for tickets few rows from the stage & mainly the dress circle - I got ours on 5/6 visits and got to see the shows we wanted. By going into their offices,...again, for me less hassle - you dont have to queue on a street.

As athtrasna says, each to their own :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Late October,early November,

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

Thanks everyone for your replies. In getting excited reading about all your experiences! I am gettin the vibe that October/November is the nicest time because of fall etc. I know christmas would be magical but some of you made very good points about the expense and weather so I think a month before would be best! Also has anyone here travelled alone to New York? Would it be safe to go alone?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    Would it be safe to go alone?

Yes.

I find November cold but generally dry. A rain jacket and you will be fine!!

It is like anywhere, good and not so good parts. You need to use your common sense whether you are on your own or with people. You do get a vibe about streets/areas if they are ok or not so.

I stayed at the Milford Plaza at the end of Broadway. It's basic but if does the job. If you walk to the other end of the street (on Broadway) you are into Times Square.

I have not gone away on my own before but I wouldn't let that stop me if I wanted to go. Just have your wits about you.

It is a magical city & exactly like what you see on tv:)

Advertisement