Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will RVP still be king of the strikers at the end of the season

• 07-08-2013 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

This summer has seen an influx of top strikers come into the epl , city have bagged negredo and joeivic , spurs bony and Norwich wolfswinkel, already here are aguero and suarez , I would add dzeko and Hernandez to the list but they just dont play often enough , so will Rvp remain king or will he be eclipsed this year , out of interest who has bagged the better player spurs or city between soldado and negredo ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I predict Rooney to score 30 goals! For Chelsea of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

If Suarez ends up at Arsenal I think he`ll be top scorer, their style of play would make him even more lethal. Could say the same if Rooney ends up at Chelsea

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

This summer has seen an influx of top strikers come into the epl , city have bagged negredo and joeivic , spurs bony and Norwich wolfswinkel, already here are aguero and suarez , I would add dzeko and Hernandez to the list but they just dont play often enough , so will Rvp remain king or will he be eclipsed this year , out of interest who has bagged the better player spurs or city between soldado and negredo ?

Spurs didn't sign bony that was Swansea iirc. For some reason I always put negredo and sold ado on the exact same level quality wise... If someone said name a striker around as good as 1 of them I'd name the other thankfully that happens less than you'd think

Rooney could be a beast at Chelsea if he went there, same for Suarez and arsenal but his ban will keep a metaphorical crown away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

nuxxx wrote: »
    If Suarez ends up at Arsenal I think he`ll be top scorer, their style of play would make him even more lethal. Could say the same if Rooney ends up at Chelsea

Even with him being suspended for the first 6 games ?

Rooney at Chelsea if he goes. He'll bag them the title or go very close to doing so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Even with him being suspended for the first 6 games ?

:o Forgot about that, would make it hard alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

RVP has the ability to stay on top but United were lucky last year as he didn't have any major injury problems.given his injury history at Arsenal I would say there is a good chance he could miss a portion of the coming season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Has Rooney ever been top scorer in the PL?

Game time vs chances created = top scorer.

RVPs 1st full uninjured season and he was top scorer.

Jose teams not known for attacking football, but Drogba scored for them.

Michu or Soldado for me depending on game time vs chances created by their teams :)

Fulham-v-Liverpool-Daniel-Sturridge-pa_2943460.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Has Rooney ever been top scorer in the PL?

Nope, he got 26 one year and was level with Drogba going into the last day and Drogba scored a hatrick(threw a hissy fit over a penalty as well!)

I think he got 26 or 27 a few seasons back aswell but RVP got 30 for Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

gandalf wrote: »
    RVP has the ability to stay on top but United were lucky last year as he didn't have any major injury problems.given his injury history at Arsenal I would say there is a good chance he could miss a portion of the coming season.

He's barely missed a game in 2 seasons. There's obviously a chance but it seems to be behind him for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

1901-Shola-Ameobi.jpg?maxwidth=400&maxheight=540

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I could well see sturridge bang them in plenty if he stays fit for most of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sturridge top goalscorer???????????????????????

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

Sturridge top goalscorer???????????????????????

lol

what are you lolling at

according to wiki he has 10 goals in 14 apps

not bad for someone who joined in 2nd half of season

what are you lolling at

according to wiki he has 10 goals in 14 apps

not bad for someone who joined in 2nd half of season

He wont be top scorer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The top scorer will be the player who has both a good season and also is the undisputed No1 striker at their club. Any side with two or three top guys (who all stay fit) will suffer I think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

He wont be top scorer.

He could very well be in the top 5 goalscorers, has really done well in a short time at Liverpool, think he was a great buy.

Augmerson wrote: »
    He could very well be in the top 5 goalscorers, has really done well in a short time at Liverpool, think he was a great buy.

Difference between both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Difference between both.

Yeah, so why don't you think he won't be top scorer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Negredo/jovetic/aguero/dzecko will all eat into eachothers playing time so neither will be top scorers/best im league. Would go with soldado if he stays fit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

If Rooney leaves, Javier Hernandez wouldn't be a bad e/w bet @ 66/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

benteke_2547815b.jpg

A less ****e team around him and after having a year to settle into English football he should still be improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I want to chime in on this one.

1) He's not as good as a lot of strikers in the EPL such as Aguero, Benteke, RVP, Rooney, Dzeko, Torres, Jovetic, Soldado, Lukaku, Suarez, Michu, Berbatov or attacking midfielders such as Bale, Hazard, Lampard, Cazorla

2) He makes decisions which make Walcott look like he has the footballing brain of Iniesta

3) Clubs like United, Chelsea, City and Arsenal are likely to create more goalscoring opportunities and score more goals than Liverpool

He's 20/1, I'd back him if I thought he was going to be top goalscorer. While stranger things have happened, there are far better players in the league and if they hit form they will leave him for dust. You can argue that he's better than some of the players in my list which is fair enough but I don't see him or Liverpool making any great shapes this season and it's usually a club that does well who possesses the top scorer. Most likely RVP or Aguero, add Rooney in the mix if he goes to Chelsea and Suarez if he goes to Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Extremely hard to see past Robin Van Persie again. Two injury free campaigns and 56 Premier Leagues goals playing for two different sides in those seasons? He is the best finisher in the league by a long way I think and if Man United can finally put a in-form Shinji Kagawa in behind him (or in fact keep Rooney there) then I see no reason why he won't rack up a similar tally to last season.

People will point to Luis Suarez enduring a ban last season which no doubt reduced his own tally, but Van Persie went through a terrible drought at one stage too.

So Van Persie for me, closely followed by either Suarez or the surprise package - Soldado, who I think could be absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Because the tailend of last season was an outlier exception in terms of his career to date, not the rule. In order for him to be top scorer he would require an unprecedented career season. Would love to see it happen, but my fellow pool fans are expecting an awful, awful lot from him (and Coutinho). Should be more careful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Jose teams not known for attacking football, but Drogba scored for them.

Doesnt his Real Madrid team hold the record for most goals in La Liga?

Anyway, If we dont sign Rooney I'm going to throw money on Lukaku e/w.
    17 for WBA last year, if hes the number 1 striker then he should go close to or eclipse that record given the chances the guys behind him will create.

His only problem is if he doesnt hit the ground running he'll be axed for Torres/Ba. Torres wont start against Hull, Spain have a friendly in Ecuador and he should be only coming home early on Friday prior to the Sunday k/o against Hull, so between Ba and Lukaku I'd be picking Lukaku every day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tempted for a sneaky each way bet on Dzeko, 7.6 at the mo with Betfair.

Cause he not good enough.

Happy to throw hundred on it if anyone likes.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

Dzeko 33/1 on bet365, Lukaku @ 25/1 or Rooney @ 14/1 is where my money will probably go though.

1/4 odds e/w to 4th placed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

#He scores when he waaaaants

#He scores when he waaaaaaAAAAAaaaaaannnnts

#Christian Bentekeeeeee

#He scores when he waaaaants!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Id be surprised if chelsea start the season with the current strike force, whoever the bring will be a good shout.

The new spurs guy too has a chance, but ultimately RVP will be the stand out favourite.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

What are City looking like lining up with under Pellegrini? I'd like to put a City striker into my FF team, but am too scared as there are so many to choose from...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Corvo wrote: »

People will point to Luis Suarez enduring a ban last season which no doubt reduced his own tally, but Van Persie went through a terrible drought at one stage too.

A drought though, he was still playing. Which means at any time no matter how bad he was playing or how long the drought lasted it was possible for him to bang in a goal or two. Obviously Suarez couldn't do so as he was banned so I don't think comparing the two is of much relevance.

That said, I hope you're right :D I'd rather see Van Persie score 100 and Suarez getting banned for.. hmmmmm we'll say.. the season :) Yes I'm a Liverpool fan and his move away is probably inevitable :( Suarez FTW.

Rooney if he's at Chelsea would be a good shout. I'm not too sure what to think of Soldado's chances. Would it suit him better if Bale were to leave? It probably would in terms if him being a target man but would Spurs have the team to create enough chances for him without Bale?

Blaaaaah...

What are City looking like lining up with under Pellegrini? I'd like to put a City striker into my FF team, but am too scared as there are so many to choose from...

Pellegrini usually plays with two up front so my guess is Aguero/Jovetic and Dzeko/Negredo, one of each. Aguero isn't match fit and Dzeko has been excellent in preseason so by process of elimination I'd guess Dzeko and Jovetic for day one.

The other option is to play it safe and put Navas in, assist machine (hopefully).

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The other option is to play it safe and put Navas in, assist machine (hopefully).
    Already there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

As a spurs fan I expect any new striker to be a flop :pac:

No seriously I doubt he'll be close to RVP as he has to settle into a team and RVP already has experience in the league and a pretty good idea how to play with his team mates already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Navas had 6 assists in La Liga last year. I don't see him doing better than that this year.

Navas had 6 assists in La Liga last year. I don't see him doing better than that this year.

Created the most chances from play in La Liga so the problem was on the end of his crosses/passes. Negredo profited but that was about it whereas at City he'll be feeding better players.

I'm expecting 10+ tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Because the tailend of last season was an outlier exception in terms of his career to date, not the rule. In order for him to be top scorer he would require an unprecedented career season. Would love to see it happen, but my fellow pool fans are expecting an awful, awful lot from him (and Coutinho). Should be more careful...

I take your point and largely agree, but it's not quite the outlier that it appears. It actually corresponds quite neatly to his return from the only other time he got a run of games in a team as a striker:

Bolton: 12 appearances, 8 goals (1 goal every 1.5 games)
    Liverpool: 14 appearances, 10 goals (1 goal every 1.4 games)

To go back to the original question; smart money is on Soldado for me. The undisputed main striker in a team that will create and score a lot of chances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Ive said it before, but if Chelsea dont sign a striker Torres will top score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Benteke, unless he gets injured for any major length of time, will score for fun again this year - most likely almost all of villa's goals too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Please say that's a typo and you meant 76 and not 7.6

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Please say that's a typo and you meant 76 and not 7.6

:confused: No, 7.6 to finish top four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

:confused: No, 7.6 to finish top four.

Ah right, that would be a place bet so as opposed to an e/w bet. You'll get more from the place part of e/w with 365 at 33's, although you're naturally forced into a win bet (33's win still doesn't seem too bad)

Only bit of value I can see is the 22's e/w with Hills on Soldado, who's goal scoring record if quite exceptional recently and should be a definite starter. He's also likely to take the penalties i'd assume? Bale leaving would also be a help, but that's surely an odds on shot at this stage. I'd be surprised if Soldado is 22's come the start of Sept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Ah right, that would be a place bet so as opposed to an e/w bet. You'll get more from the place part of e/w with 365 at 33's, although you're naturally forced into a win bet (33's win still doesn't seem too bad)

Only bit of value I can see is the 22's e/w with Hills on Soldado, who's goal scoring record if quite exceptional recently and should be a definite starter. He's also likely to take the penalties i'd assume? Bale leaving would also be a help, but that's surely an odds on shot at this stage. I'd be surprised if Soldado is 22's come the start of Sept

Yeah I think @ 22/1 Soldado is a great bet. I don't think there will be too many scoring highly this year (RVP / Soldado / Suarez)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Only bit of value I can see is the 22's e/w with Hills on Soldado, who's goal scoring record if quite exceptional recently and should be a definite starter. He's also likely to take the penalties i'd assume?

Spurs didn't get a single penalty awarded to them last season so I wouldn't be relying on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Anelka at 80/1. Don't think he'll be top scorer but worth a small e/w bet.

Jarrod wrote: »
    Anelka at 80/1. Don't think he'll be top scorer but worth a small e/w bet.

I dont think Anelka has ever gotten over 20 league goals anywhere hes gone, while he does get a decent return I'd be very wary of throwing any money on him really, even if its only for an e/w bet.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Goldado's odds have gone down so. Was 28/1 the moment he signed. Good stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement