Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will RVP still be king of the strikers at the end of the season

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I'd say David O'Sullivan will have more come the end. Only 8 games left though with 20 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Bookies have done well with this market id say, cant believe how goal shy Soldado has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Sturridge top goalscorer???????????????????????

lol

Not far off now !

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Augmerson wrote: »
    Yeah, so why don't you think he won't be top scorer?
    Cause he not good enough.

Happy to throw hundred on it if anyone likes.

Kew looks like being proven right about Sturridge! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Hindsight and all that. :p

Although I do feel a bit sorry for Soldado. Did you see that miss in the Europe League? He's 3 yards out and its crossed straight to him and you are thinking "Goal" and it takes a bit of a bobble on the terrible pitch and he scoops it over the bar. You just knew he wouldn't score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

jive wrote: »
    I want to chime in on this one.

1) He's not as good as a lot of strikers in the EPL such as Aguero, Benteke, RVP, Rooney, Dzeko, Torres, Jovetic, Soldado, Lukaku, Suarez, Michu, Berbatov or attacking midfielders such as Bale, Hazard, Lampard, Cazorla

2) He makes decisions which make Walcott look like he has the footballing brain of Iniesta

3) Clubs like United, Chelsea, City and Arsenal are likely to create more goalscoring opportunities and score more goals than Liverpool

He's 20/1, I'd back him if I thought he was going to be top goalscorer. While stranger things have happened, there are far better players in the league and if they hit form they will leave him for dust. You can argue that he's better than some of the players in my list which is fair enough but I don't see him or Liverpool making any great shapes this season and it's usually a club that does well who possesses the top scorer. Most likely RVP or Aguero, add Rooney in the mix if he goes to Chelsea and Suarez if he goes to Arsenal.

Some absolute gems in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Johner wrote: »
    I predict Rooney to score 30 goals! For Chelsea of course.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

At one stage Suarez was on course for like 50 but it's exactly what you'd expect from a striker - peaks and troughs.

Liverpool have 11 games left so I'd imagine he'll still get close to 30.
    Of course with him, he could easily bag a couple of hattricks and get closer to 40. We do still have Norwich left to play.

Sturridge has seemed like a more reliable goalscorer but with less of a tendency to score them in big clumps.

I wouldn't bet on him falling short of 25.

Aguero doesn't seem to be able to stay fit enough to keep the pace. I suspect it'll the two Liverpool lads well off in the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Sturridge top goalscorer???????????????????????

lol
    :D just 5 away now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sturridge has scored 32 in 39 games for us now is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

No one can touch the Liverpool front 2 at the moment

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Well its the back 2 that everyone is targeting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yaya Touré has done well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hello

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Well its the back 2 that everyone is targeting

Well the thread is about strikers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Soldado was absolutely awful against Norwich, Spurs are lucky they hung onto Adebayor or they would be nowhere.

Van Wolfswinkel was another that people were surprised didn't go to another team, has proved many a manager right who didn't sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I am pie wrote: »
    Soldado was absolutely awful against Norwich, Spurs are lucky they hung onto Adebayor or they would be nowhere.

Van Wolfswinkel was another that people were surprised didn't go to another team, has proved many a manager right who didn't sign him.

Have to say surprised and disappointed in Van Wolfpenis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

djPSB wrote: »
    Some absolute gems in this thread.

In fairness to a lot of the predictions here you could say 'to be fair - benefit of hindsight, predictions are difficult etc...'. For example I don't think anyone expected Soldado to be so poor, and while tipping for top scorer was maybe a bit much, we would have all expected him to bag close to 15 league goals.

But 2 names screamed out on that list to me as players supposedly better than Daniel Sturridge - Torres and Berbatov.

No allowances for hindsight here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Morzadec wrote: »
    In fairness to a lot of the predictions here you could say 'to be fair - benefit of hindsight, predictions are difficult etc...'. For example I don't think anyone expected Soldado to be so poor, and while tipping for top scorer was maybe a bit much, we would have all expected him to bag close to 15 league goals.

But 2 names screamed out on that list to me as players supposedly better than Daniel Sturridge - Torres and Berbatov.

No allowances for hindsight here!

Don't mind anyone being wrong tbh.

It's just the disrespectfulness of some of the posts is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

yeah so Soldado :o

At least Michu has been injured :pac:

• Advertisement

Hindsight is a great thing.

Never in a million years did I think Liverpool would have the 1st and 2nd top scorers in the league at this stage.

Especially considering Suarez missed 6 games

and Sturridge missed 8 games...

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

RVP might bail in the summer if theres no champions league football at United

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

1) He's not as good as a lot of strikers in the EPL such as Aguero, Benteke, RVP, Rooney, Dzeko, Torres, Jovetic, Soldado, Lukaku, Suarez, Michu, Berbatov or attacking midfielders such as Bale, Hazard, Lampard, Cazorla

2) He makes decisions which make Walcott look like he has the footballing brain of Iniesta

3) Clubs like United, Chelsea, City and Arsenal are likely to create more goalscoring opportunities and score more goals than Liverpool

He's 20/1, I'd back him if I thought he was going to be top goalscorer. While stranger things have happened, there are far better players in the league and if they hit form they will leave him for dust. You can argue that he's better than some of the players in my list which is fair enough but I don't see him or Liverpool making any great shapes this season and it's usually a club that does well who possesses the top scorer. Most likely RVP or Aguero, add Rooney in the mix if he goes to Chelsea and Suarez if he goes to Arsenal.

This is surely the greatest post in the history of this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

So did you and all of the other Liverpool fans bet on this cracking tip? Even each way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Is it just me or is it certain group of fans reviving all the old threads

They shall be henceforth known as the hindsight brigade, dishing out hindsight lessons to the not so hindsightedly posters

Danny Welbeck has just 6 goals less than Aguero :pac: top striker is our Danny Welbz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

In fairness a lot of people on the thread left with Sturridge pie all over their face. Even though he was in great scoring form in the 2nd half of last season there was still a lot of "he's just not very good" or "he just went through a purple patch" type posts.

I guess Soldado has been the big disappointment. I remember arguing with a Liverpool fan at the beginning of the season who said he was in a different class to Sturridge. I disagreed strongly but I never thought he'd be as "meh" as he has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

dreamers75 wrote: »
    So did you and all of the other Liverpool fans bet on this cracking tip? Even each way?

I backed Suarez to be top scorer at 18/1. Now I'm worried Sturridge will catch him.

FWIW I don't think Suarez is out of form either, has just been switched to the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Irrespective of how things have turned out, I think this is still a good post.

It's very easy to say that the opinion has been prove incorrect with hindsight, but at least a well constructed point of view has been put forward as oppose to a simple "Sturridge, lol" which adds nothing to the discussion board

For what it worth, while I wouldn't have been as pessimistic about Sturridge as the above, I'd never have even considered him in with a chance of finishing as top goalscorer myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Irrespective of how things have turned out, I think this is still a good post.

It's very easy to say that the opinion has been prove incorrect with hindsight, but at least a well constructed point of view has been put forward as oppose to a simple "Sturridge, lol" which adds nothing to the discussion board

For what it worth, while I wouldn't have been as pessimistic about Sturridge as the above, I'd never have even considered him in with a chance of finishing as top goalscorer myself

He was wrong in all his points though and why have a pop at Walcott. Really unrated player if you ask me. Arsenal would be favourites for the league with him in the side.

niallo27 wrote: »
    He was wrong in all his points though and why have a pop at Walcott. Really unrated player if you ask me. Arsenal would be favourites for the league with him in the side.

He was wrong yea, and who isn't from time to time? Have a look back through the Liverpool thread when Sturridge was signed, it was hardly like people were delighted by the prospect

Agree regarding Walcott. I've completely changed my own opinion of him I've the last year or two

My point was that the above at least puts forward a legitimate argument, and ones that's constructive towards debate. In the context of a discussion board, it was a good post IMO. It certainly adds a lot more then the scoffing posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He was wrong yea, and who isn't from time to time? Have a look back through the Liverpool thread when Sturridge was signed, it was hardly like people were delighted by the prospect

Agree regarding Walcott. I've completely changed my own opinion of him I've the last year or two

My point was that the above at least puts forward a legitimate argument, and ones that's constructive towards debate. In the context of a discussion board, it was a good post IMO. It certainly adds a lot more then the scoffing posts

Some liverpool fans put forward legitimate arguments why he was a good stiker and were laughed at. They are entitled to be a bit smug. I always rated him myself. I never though he would be this good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Is it just me or is it certain group of fans reviving all the old threads

They shall be henceforth known as the hindsight brigade, dishing out hindsight lessons to the not so hindsightedly posters

Danny Welbeck has just 6 goals less than Aguero :pac: top striker is our Danny Welbz

I was reading back and wondering would anybody mention Wellbeck, you got there in the end!

I thought Sturridge might get 20 goals counting the cups, surprised a good few scoffed at the suggestion that he might get a few more.

There's a bit of the usual snobbery at English players going on when he gets mentioned, his stats are something else, a goal every 83 minutes, to put it in perspective:

StatsBomb | We Need to Talk About Daniel Sturridge

He'd be something else if he kept that type of record up, very few can, but he's established himself thais season and wont be scoffed at when it comes to this thread again!

Sturridge and Suarez are averaging 3 goals or assists per game which is something else, they are on track for 60 goals between them this season, can't remember a partnership as lethal as that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Some liverpool fans put forward legitimate arguments why he was a good stiker and were laughed at. They are entitled to be a bit smug. I always rated him myself. I never though he would be this good though.

An fair play to them, they were bang on.

The Liverpool thread is a good example. We can all go back through that and pick the posts that in hindsight were wrong, and god knows there's plenty. When it's the "Rodgers/Sturridge lol" etc ones, then fair enough, but going back and picking ones that were well reasoned, if wrong is a bit pointless IMO, because opposing points, backed up rationally are what makes a discussion board

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Yeah but Torres and Berbatov? C'mon...

Morzadec wrote: »
    Yeah but Torres and Berbatov? C'mon...

I'm not disputing the notion that he's wrong.

I'd imagine though if 14 months ago there was a poll in the LFC thread regarding who people would prefer, Torres or Sturrridge, it'd have been relatively tight

@SG8

Thanks for the PM. Love it.

Dont be shy and share it in here;)

ricero wrote: »
    Not far off now !

Lol

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its been a pretty rubbish year for the new strikers -

Negredo - 9 (dunno what happened there)
    S. Eto'o - 9
    Soldado - 6
    M. Arnautović 4
    S. Jovetić - 3
    Elmander - 1
    Van Wolfswinkle - 1
    Altidore - 1

William Bony without question the hit after a quiet enough start 16 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

@SG8

Thanks for the PM. Love it.

Dont be shy and share it in here;)

Got one off him a few months ago too, paid it no heed. Pathetic really.

• Advertisement

King of the sick notes more like.

He'll need to be carefully looked after if he's to regain his fitness of a few seasons ago again.

Advertisement