Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Website Graphic & Logo

Options
  • 07-08-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Hi

I designed a website graphic (1000 pixels wide) and a logo for a client. There were 5 drafts and about 18 hours work.

I know I am seriously undervaluing myself but I said I would give him a cut since I know him, and also all hours aren't chargeable.

What would the going rate be for this? I'm just starting out but I'm a qualified designer.

Also I worked out my hourly rate as €25 per hour, taking all my overheads into account. This would work out at €450 for the job. But what would you charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

I'm not sure why you mention 1,000 pixels wide - do you charge by the pixel?

The short answer is that your logo/graphic is worth whatever your client will pay for it. That might sound crass but that's the market these days.

No doubt there are those that think you are underselling yourself at €450, but assuming you can get that, the question is will your client come back to you for their next job?

Edit: what is the destinction between a 'qualified' designer and an 'experienced' designer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

The reason I mentioned that it was 1000 pixels wide is that it was a detailed 'scene' as opposed to a picture of a dog for instance. Not that one is less than the other.

My situation is that I'm a qualified designer (degree) but not that experienced. I don't think someone who isn't qualified or experienced should charge X amount - that's what I'm trying to say.

P.S. I'm not going to charge him this amount. I have a much smaller figure in mind. But I'm just curious how people charge their work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Without sounding like I'm being cheeky. Why not just multiply 25 by whatever amount of hours you spent working on it?

€450 sounds cheap but if you got the work done in 22 hours then you're charging correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

If the work has taken you 18 hours, and you already work by hourly amount, I'd pretty much recommend going with that price.
    I've done work for friends in the past, on the cheap, with the promise of more work / recommendations to others. All leading to nothing.
    Recently did a nice WordPress based website for a good friend. Took quite some time, as it included everything, but a logo.
    I've forgotten the amount of hours I pumped into the website now, but for the final price, I was probably looking at about <€5 an hour. My own fault, as I said I'd do it cheap!
    If you want to give him a little cut price, take €50 off it. Wouldn't suggest anything more then that, otherwise you're being taken for a ride. I'm finished working for friends after that above mentioned. They all know too well I'll do it for cheap - and you don't want that to happen to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Completely agree with the above post. Don't undervalue yourself in the future. I've done it to myself and it's a hard thing to come back from. People expect things for nothing from you then. And ignore all this "I'll def use you again" or "I'm recommending you to all my friends". 9 times out of 10 that's bullish*t imo.

The best thing to do is quote first, then it's up to them if they want to pay it or not. The person always looking for money off is more often than not the person that won't pay on time and you end up chasing them for what little amount they bargained you down to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement