Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prog Superthread

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭bnt

bnt wrote: »
    i'm reading about a new Prog Supergroup planning to tour this year, so I thought I should bring back the Prog Superthread. ARW will consist of Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman, and others TBC. Between R and W, I think we can expect way too many notes... :p
    More about ARW in an interview with Trevor Rabin here. He's a teeny bit snarky about Yes:
    Rabin insists there's no rivalry between the two bands.

"To be honest, it doesn't even enter our minds," he said. "When Rick, Jon and I decided to get together we actively decided not to call it Yes, even though we have just as much right to do so.

"Steve Howe has been playing, in essence, with a tribute band, but there are no bad vibes,"
    Ouch. But then I hear what are, to me, magic words:
    "We took a lot of Yes songs and stripped them down to nothing, then reconstructed them differently," he said. "Rick is calling it 22nd century Yes."
    This is more like it. I'm always underwhelmed when a band slavishy sticks to particular arrangements. When Rabin was in Yes they did songs like And You And I and Starship Trooper live with significant deviation from the original arrangements, which makes them more interesting. If I want to hear the originals, I can, since they never go away.

So Trevor may be a bit snotty in calling today's Yes a tribute band, but I think he has a point. Much as I appreciate Chris Squire and all he did, he was the one who kept Yes going past its sell-by date.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm just missing out on the ARW new York show, would've been an experience to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭rednik

ARW tour started in Orlando last night, I have tickets for London in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭rednik

Advertisement