Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chinese lanterns in the sky???

Options
  • 07-08-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I live up the hills near killeshin. Over the years on a few different occasions I've spotted these strange lights in the sky over the town.
    Every time they appear as a cluster from the same place, north west of the town. They illuminate in the sky and appear to slowly fall downward until they extinguish completely.

Tonight I saw them again as I was driving along through rossmore. They appear to be rising from hacketstown / rathvilly direction.

I got a few pics but they aren't too clear.

Just wondering did anyone else see them or know what they are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

What do they call them in China ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Aliens. End of story. I've been telling people for years about this and no one listens. ET is looking for intelligent life...

TBH I've seen them in the town before and it's normally Chinese Laterns so I'd go with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

What do they call them in China ?
    Wow they can see them from China?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Reati wrote: »
    Aliens. End of story. I've been telling people for years about this and no one listens. ET is looking for intelligent life...

Always knew there was a reason I avoided Rathvilly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I know of two events every year that let these off. Relay for life and some fund-raiser in Eire Og. Both have passed, so wasn't them. They seem harmless enough. I've never heard of them causing any harm in Ireland anyway. Can't of any event that was on that would have them though. Possibly a debs? I know for our debs a few years back we planned to do it, but never got around to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Mister Man wrote: »
    I know of two events every year that let these off. Relay for life and some fund-raiser in Eire Og. Both have passed, so wasn't them. They seem harmless enough. I've never heard of them causing any harm in Ireland anyway. Can't of any event that was on that would have them though. Possibly a debs? I know for our debs a few years back we planned to do it, but never got around to it.
    Are advised not to to use them because of the risk of fire, generally not so high in ireland but also the risk that the remains hold for wild animals

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Are advised not to to use them because of the risk of fire, generally not so high in ireland but also the risk that the remains hold for wild animals

I actually googled it after posting, just to see what it has to say - Apparently, they're a **** for the coast-gaurd, as they mistake them for flares. Never thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i live below killeshin opposite the dolmen hotel on the river, and you see them every now and then being launched from there.

Advertisement