Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth going to College?

Options
  • 07-08-2013 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi I am currently awaiting my LC results and wondering if it's worth going to college. I have plenty of friends who have graduated with degrees in honors courses and yet they have got jobs in low salary jobs and are just so happy! It seems to me that a degree doesn't do anything for anyone. I wouldn't mind so much but Im 19 and I'm the one paying for my tuition fees with hard earned money. Can someone tell me what to do!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

MeathLAD wrote: »
    It seems to me that a degree doesn't do anything for anyone. I wouldn't mind so much but Im 19 and I'm the one paying for my tuition fees with hard earned money.
    You make it sound like you're in a different situation to others, as though you are either older, or being treated different financially.
    I have plenty of friends who have graduated with degrees in honors courses and yet they have got jobs in low salary jobs and are just so happy!
    Graduates can appear to start on a low salary because your first year or two out of college are still a proving ground. Performance in university doesn't always correlate with performance in the workplace.
    The are other factors that impact on starting salary such as academic discipline (what subject matter you studied) and your grades.
    A year or two after and your salary can be drastically different to what you graduated on.

I think (and I'm open to correction) the average graduate salary is 22-23k ish? Most graduates are in their early 20s. If you don't have any obligations, that's still enough money to comfortably get by on.

3rd level is generally a good investment. Granted, it isn't for everyone.
    Can someone tell me what to do!!!
    Give me your money!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MeathLAD

Polar Ice wrote: »
    You make it sound like you're in a different situation to others, as though you are either older, or being treated different financially.

I kind of am in a different situation. All of my friends from school got grants and dont have to pay a red cent, and the ones who didnt get a grant have their mother and father paying for them, its alot of money to be gambling at my age man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I kind of am in a different situation. All of my friends from school got grants and dont have to pay a red cent, and the ones who didnt get a grant have their mother and father paying for them, its alot of money to be gambling at my age man.

Look at it this way. Graduates are starting at 22-24k generally. What kind of money do you think you'll be offered, with no degree and no trade? Then, as Polar Ice has mentioned, their earning power is generally only going to increase. Yours won't, at least not to anywhere near the same degree, as you can't compete with them in terms of qualifications, and it will take years in the workplace to earn the kind of experience commensurate with a degree (depending on what field you go into, obviously).

Look at college as an investment in your future, rather than a financial drag. I entered the workplace straight after my Leaving (which was in 1999). I earned good money for years, but then, boom, the recession hit and I was made redundant. I'm back in a good job now, but earning the same gross salary that I was on in 2005, and taxes & levies are a hell of a lot higher now than they were then. I'm extremely lucky to have a hell of a lot of experience on my CV, but even at that, a lot of companies these days won't even consider a candidate who doesn't have a degree. Unfair? Maybe, particularly in my field, but dems de breaks. So, I'm currently a third of a way through a degree that's going to cost me about 9.5k in fees by the time I finish. if I'd just gone to college straight from school, it would have cost a fraction of that, and I wouldn't have suffered any loss in salary commandments as the recession interefered in the meantime anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

What's your alternative? Have you got a job at the minute and is there future prospects in it?
    A lot of people come out of college with bull**** degrees and then can't get jobs with them so make sure you do something practical that you will get work out of.

I worked the whole way through college, I didn't get a grant or help from my parents so I made sure that I studied hard and didn't waste my money.

Going to college is an easy step for you now but could be a much harder thing to do in 5 years time so consider your options carefully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

It really depends on what kind of a career you want to have. I didn't go to college right after finishing school and I've found that not getting a degree was holding me back a bit 10 years later (I work in IT). Some companies will not even consider you without a degree. You can get decent jobs without a degree, especially after you've had some work experience, but getting a more senior or managerial position can be difficult. I am in a junior managerial position now and I think that's as far as I'm going to get without a degree. I go to college part time and will be finished next year, hopefully things will progress then. :) Don't just look at starting salaries or what you're going to do in the next 5 years, you need to think about your long term prospects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

Unless you want to do a trade and start an apprenticeship, absolutely go to college!! Complete no brainier, if you don't go now you'll regret it in years to come and possibly end up going back when your a mature!

Thank you all for your support, it is taken on board and appreciated. As to the questions of what I do for money at the minute? I currently work in Boylesports bookmakers and earn 300-400 euro a week. And I just see college as something that alot of people have done and never got anything out of. I suppose my biggest strain on my decision is that for every 1 person telling me college is a great idea and to go to it, there is another person telling me to stay in my work place because it is a nice job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Suppose it depends. If you like your job and wouldnt mind staying in it, then theres no reason to go to college. Ya can always wait a few years and go if youve more money and interest.

Definitely dont go for the sake of it, like many people do, as they often choose the wrong course for them and end up regretting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Thank you all for your support, it is taken on board and appreciated. As to the questions of what I do for money at the minute? I currently work in Boylesports bookmakers and earn 300-400 euro a week. And I just see college as something that alot of people have done and never got anything out of. I suppose my biggest strain on my decision is that for every 1 person telling me college is a great idea and to go to it, there is another person telling me to stay in my work place because it is a nice job

Even if you wish to put it off for a year or 2 more and save up. if you think your job is secure. its hard to do without being tempted into buying all the little things you want. bit may be that it will be a little later than all youre friends but you will have made youre own way through college. The only downside is it can come that you wont want to go back to education. at the time but its never late to keep learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

I suppose my biggest strain on my decision is that for every 1 person telling me college is a great idea and to go to it, there is another person telling me to stay in my work place because it is a nice job

...but is it a nice enough job to be in for the next 50years of your life! (assuming your 18ish!)

If your really unsure why not defer a place in college if you get offered, keep your job for the year and you can start college in 2014...you certainly won't be the first person to work for a year before feeling the urge to hit more education and you might be clearer on what you'd like to study etc..

• Advertisement

Jhcx wrote: »
    Even if you wish to put it off for a year or 2 more and save up. if you think your job is secure. its hard to do without being tempted into buying all the little things you want. bit may be that it will be a little later than all youre friends but you will have made youre own way through college. The only downside is it can come that you wont want to go back to education. at the time but its never late to keep learning.

I understand what you're saying and even now the idea of going back to part time hours and not having so much money annoys me. But I can't get it through to my head that college semesters are alot shorter than secondary school and during the summer I will be on my full time hours again

...but is it a nice enough job to be in for the next 50years of your life! (assuming your 18ish!)

If your really unsure why not defer a place in college if you get offered, keep your job for the year and you can start college in 2014...you certainly won't be the first person to work for a year before feeling the urge to hit more education and you might be clearer on what you'd like to study etc..

Again another option I was thinking of I was going into college to study Computing at NCI and what if it isn't for me? But at the same time I'd like to go to college for the experience you know? The parties and drinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Again another option I was thinking of I was going into college to study Computing at NCI and what if it isn't for me? But at the same time I'd like to go to college for the experience you know? The parties and drinking!

I'm confused. You're complaining (in a sense) that you're different to the normal student and that you have to fund your own studies. Yet at the same time you're saying that a big part of your reasoning is the parties and drinking.

a bit conflicting

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stacerz17

im in a similar boat to you, have a full time job and have to pay my way on my own. i did work for a year though. im going to college because i want a career and not just a job, what if your employer closes down in the morning? you may not get a job. they are pretty scarce without having a degree

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Do you want to stay in Boyles long term?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thank you for all of your support over the past several weeks. I am going to college and do a 4 year course in computing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

If your going to college, put time and effort into making a well informed decision, I went to college for 4 years, I went to college and my course didnt lead to anything

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭LimerickSports

computing has alot of job prospects and good money, well done on your choice it will pay off for sure, im going back to study social care which also has alot of career prospects , wish me luck :)

Thank you for all of your support over the past several weeks. I am going to college and do a 4 year course in computing!

Good decision, well done. Good luck ðŸ‘

Advertisement