Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drum Tracks in Mono

Options
  • 07-08-2013 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Does anyone always have there drum tracks in mono i usually always have my bass and pads in mono, im mixing all of my old productions i have made over the years again and was thinking of putting all my drum tracks in mono eg Kick, Open HiHat Closed HiHat Clap Crash Snare i keep my loops in Stereo and mostly everything else, i produce House Hardhouse Trance & Techno

Thanks

Jay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Does anyone always have there drum tracks in mono i usually always have my bass and pads in mono, im mixing all of my old productions i have made over the years again and was thinking of putting all my drum tracks in mono eg Kick, Open HiHat Closed HiHat Clap Crash Snare i keep my loops in Stereo and mostly everything else, i produce House Hardhouse Trance & Techno

Thanks

Jay

Only sounds mono here are kick/bass (below 200htz ish)/vox/leads - everything else is panned - pads are panned extreme l/r.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Jay Hatchell

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Only sounds mono here are kick/bass (below 200htz ish)/vox/leads - everything else is panned - pads are panned extreme l/r.

The reason why i want to use mono more now is most club sound systems i have played on are in mono so having your pads in mono will work on both speakers in stereo it can get lost

The reason why i want to use mono more now is most club sound systems i have played on are in mono so having your pads in mono will work on both speakers in stereo it can get lost

I used to do the same, but found it was more mixdown problems - extreme L/R mixes can work well also - I had problems with pads almost detuning and reverbs being lost around 10 years ago when they lacked midrange punch and the reverbs needed to be much wetter or got lost in larger rigs (like 60k plus)

Brainworx do a cool plugin for dealing with M/S information - found this a big help with getting a nice balance between both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Jay Hatchell

Neurojazz wrote: »
    I used to do the same, but found it was more mixdown problems - extreme L/R mixes can work well also - I had problems with pads almost detuning and reverbs being lost around 10 years ago when they lacked midrange punch and the reverbs needed to be much wetter or got lost in larger rigs (like 60k plus)

Brainworx do a cool plugin for dealing with M/S information - found this a big help with getting a nice balance between both worlds.

Thanks for the info will check out Brainworx ive been producing for nearly 12 years now on and off but only in the last 4 years i have took it much more seriously i always struggled with the professional side of things like eg and compression but its all starting o make sence now, what music do you produce ?

Thanks for the info will check out Brainworx ive been producing for nearly 12 years now on and off but only in the last 4 years i have took it much more seriously i always struggled with the professional side of things like eg and compression but its all starting o make sence now, what music do you produce ?

Been in game over 25 years now... make anything really :) - Can pick up new genres fairly easily and 'borrow' from them ;)

Was a multi-instrumentalist before all the computers arrived.

Electronic started off in chillout and then went into every genre since 95 just to learn tricks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Rob Humanoid

As NJ says everything below 200hz... Sub bass definitely!

Main bass (depending on the style) you'd prolly frequency split. Keep the lows mono, and spread the high end.

Definitely have your pads wide tho'.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

In logic, I always tend to use the gain plugin on my master which has a function that lets you listen to the track in mono. I'm sure there are other plugins for other DAWs, I find it handy anyway. I also do it on some buss tracks.

Advertisement