Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

brushing teeth

Options
  • 07-08-2013 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hi all what age were your little ones when you started brushing their teeth? My man I s11 months so wondering is this 2 young? He has 4 top and bottom teeth thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

i brush my little girls teeth she is 13 months but just two top two bottom.as soon as they are up 3/4 of way is fine imo

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I started brushing pretty much as soon as the first 2 teeth were almost up all the way, so about 6/7 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Brush as soon as the teeth come up. From 6 weeks in our case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Started brushing as soon as the 1st tooth came up, so 4 or 5 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

As soon as the first few teeth come up, my family has always used the jellington from any given cat food as a paste. It's soft, without a strong minty taste and is chemical free. As we (the children) got older and our teeth grew stronger (1 year old +) we would be moved on to other formulas until we were old enough for toothpaste. Feel free to PM me for details anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cat food for brushing toddlers teeth?

Umm... I just use water.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I started brushing as soon as first tooth appeared, there are toothpastes specially for babies on the market that are mild. Or there are gum wipes, got them in boots, don't know the name of them but i wasn't successful with using these, you place them on a finger and rub around the gums or teeth as soon as they cut through.
    Why on earth would one use cat food paste or what ever it is? am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Rose35 wrote: »
    I started brushing as soon as first tooth appeared, there are toothpastes specially for babies on the market that are mild. Or there are gum wipes, got them in boots, don't know the name of them but i wasn't successful with using these, you place them on a finger and rub around the gums or teeth as soon as they cut through.
    Why on earth would one use cat food paste or what ever it is? am i missing something?

I just went with what the hospital & doctor said - no toothpaste until they are 2, just use water.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Oral Slang wrote: »
    I just went with what the hospital & doctor said - no toothpaste until they are 2, just use water.

Thanks for info, must look into that, wasn't aware water was enough to do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Rose35 wrote: »
    Thanks for info, must look into that, wasn't aware water was enough to do the job.

OMG! My 8 month old has a mouthful of teeth (about 10)... And I never brush them!!! It's not something I even thought of! He got his first just before he was 4 months! Jeez I better start! I hope this won't now have any implications for him! Is there a special sort baby toothbrush ye use or what? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Sligo1 wrote: »
    OMG! My 8 month old has a mouthful of teeth (about 10)... And I never brush them!!! It's not something I even thought of! He got his first just before he was 4 months! Jeez I better start! I hope this won't now have any implications for him! Is there a special sort baby toothbrush ye use or what? :eek:

I use a toothbrush for 0-2 years. I picked it up in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

We have brushed my 1&1/2 yr olds since her irst teeth arrived at 11 months - mind u we forget to do it at least 1 in 3 days so we're not great!! She does it herself now - a lot of the time when we are doing our own - loves it! We use a babies toothbrush & dentinox teething toothpaste - it is ok for babies - it's literally made for teething as helps to sooth the gums - here's a link to the website;
    http://www.dentinox.co.uk/products/teething-toothpaste.ashx

And here's the link to the toothbrush we use;

http://www.colgate.co.uk/app/CP/UK/OC/Products/Kids-Toothbrushes.cvsp

Bought both in local pharmacy!
    We just do it for good practice really - never to young to learn I think - well when they haven't got teeth yet they're prob too young... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

cat food? eugh! imagine the stinky breath!

I have a tooth brush in the sitting room and i give it to my 12 m old most days to brush with, i show him first, then he does it, then he chews on it....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

audman wrote: »
    As soon as the first few teeth come up, my family has always used the jellington from any given cat food as a paste.

:eek:

Advertisement