Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Carlow?

Options
  • 07-08-2013 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, can anyone recommend a good and safe place for home in Carlow? I was just browsing the internet and found many places who had problems in gang,
    robbery within Carlow. I know you will have those problems all
    Around us,
    but you know yourself if someone ask you this question, you will be able to tell them a place or two that is considered
    'High crime' location. Please advise as i have a small child and would like to stay somewhere safe and quiet if possible. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Easier to tell you were not to stay tbh. Lots of nice places, vs a small few bad.
    Stay away from John Sweeny park and pretty much all surrounding areas. Not sure how bad it is not-a-days, but it was by a long way, the worse place in Carlow for years.
    On the same note, Lacken Rise, Millenium Court, & The Orchards are all very nice places, and they're close too John Sweeny.
    Everywhere along Brownshill Road is nice too.
    Pollerton is a grand spot too. Lots of estates around them, and seems to be very family based for them all.
    Most of the Apartments near the Barrow are sometimes considered rough. Can't really comment much myself, been in a few of them, and never had any trouble. I would imagine they're quite load though. Students and all that.
    Best to avoid a lot of the surrounding areas of the IT Carlow. Again noise levels could drive you mad.
    I can't really think of any other bad places in Carlow. The main place to avoid is John Sweeny. After that, you should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Anshua

Thank you Mister Man

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Anshua

Thank you :)
    Mister Man wrote: »
    Easier to tell you were not to stay tbh. Lots of nice places, vs a small few bad.
    Stay away from John Sweeny park and pretty much all surrounding areas. Not sure how bad it is not-a-days, but it was by a long way, the worse place in Carlow for years.
    On the same note, Lacken Rise, Millenium Court, & The Orchards are all very nice places, and they're close too John Sweeny.
    Pollerton is a grand spot too. Lots of estates around them, and seems to be very family based for them all.
    Most of the Apartments near the Barrow are sometimes considered rough. Can't really comment much myself, been in a few of them, and never had any trouble. I would imagine they're quite load though. Students and all that.
    Best to avoid a lot of the surrounding areas of the IT Carlow. Again noise levels could drive you mad.
    I can't really think of any other bad places in Carlow. The main place to avoid is John Sweeny. After that, you should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Pollerton is perfect. Lived there for a while myself, it's quiet and lots of families. Lived in Castlewood Gardens it's in a great location, can't recommend it enough we adored it there, I still miss it :) Graiguecullen is nice as well, and Southern Gardens!

I would definitely avoid The Laurels and Burrin Manor. For want of a better term they are very much "skanger" estates. The whole Tullow area seems quite rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Brownshill, pollerton, seven springs, Springdale, idrone are nice areas. I'd stay away from new oak (lived there once, mainly lovely people but some real scum as well), as said John Sweeney, laurels, burrin manor I wouldn't touch. Most of graigcullen is lovely and has a real community feeling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 joboy

Are quinagh green and ashfield along blackbog road good places to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭7foot ginger

Everywhere on the tullow rd is not rough. I live in friars green and it's lovely and quiet. We have a big green with loads of kids to play with. Millennium court is quiet enough too

joboy wrote: »
    Are quinagh green and ashfield along blackbog road good places to live?

I know Quinagh is a nice place. Can't comment on Ashfield myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 buttercupno5

Quinagh and Ashfield are nice lived in Ashfield myself for a time. I live in Browneshill now and I've a three year old. I couldn't be happier. We can walk to town yet I still feel somewhat out in the country (I'm a country girl originally). It's a lovely peaceful area.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 itsme83

Mister Man wrote: »

Wow you really must have a problem with John Sweeney park.Did you used to live there?is it really that bad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

itsme83 wrote: »
    Wow you really must have a problem with John Sweeney park.Did you used to live there?is it really that bad?

In a nut shell, yes. It's a really rough area. In saying that not everyone from there is rough but the majority would be. My brother in laws sister lives near the end of the estate but she and her husband still wouldn't walk around there by themselves. It's a rough enough area.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 itsme83

Nah I think some people hear alot of rumours about John Sweeney I have lived here for the last 28 years and it has never been half as bad as people make out.Its actually a quit place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

As with all estates that get a bad name it is usually the case of a very small minority of family's are responsible for dragging it down. Carlow as a general rule does not have what I would consider rough estates when you compare them to towns around the country.

itsme83 wrote: »

I've liven near by, yes, but no in John Sweeney itself.
    I know a few people from the general area, and some who live/lived in John Sweeney itself.
    It's very rough - I'm not saying everyone is a total scumbag that lives near by - As I said, in know people from the area, and they're probably the nicest people you could meet.
    Just a few questionable characters around there that would make me avoid living there - but of course, it's only my opinion of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

yeah keep away from john sweeney he's a really bad man:rolleyes:

Advertisement