Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering the Patent of an idea yourself.....

Options
  • 08-08-2013 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has done this themselves?

I know that I should be going to Intellectual Property advisers but they are pretty pricey. Spoke with a registered guy who said I should be doing up a business plan and the whole lot before proceeding to patent...

Basically I have built a working prototype. Cannot show it to anyone until it is patented. Therefore cannot find out could I get it made for a reasonable price? Cannot get quotes for its manufacture?? No hope of drafting a business plan if I cannot find out the manufacturing cost..

Not sure is it worth patenting as the market for it is pretty limited. Therefore don't want to spend a load of money registering a patent.

Considering the 10 year Irish patent. Would prefer to patent it myself, then get prices from a few places to make 10 or 20 of my idea and then take them to market to see how it goes.

Really want no major initial costs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,062 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I'm kind of in a similar situation myself.

I initially had to pay for 3D CAD images (got a quote based on my sketches). After that is done I will have to get prototypes made. Once that is done I will be looking to get ideas patented. What I did with my sketches was contact companies and attach an NDA. If they were interested they would sign it and then we would talk/share information.
    Once an NDA is signed you should be free to share info without your idea being leaked.
    My plan (once prototypes are done) is to get patent pending (not sure on cost of this) and then put the idea on Indiegogo and hopefully raise money for initial production run.

Even with working prototype many places will probably still need to do the 3D imaging.

Advertisement