Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to have a phone number and call out if I have broadband only at home?

Options
  • 08-08-2013 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭

I currently have BB and home phone with VF, but rarely use the phone.

I was considering moving to a BB only deal, and was wondering if its possible to still have some sort of handset to make and receive calls via my BB?

I know little about Skype, Voip etc and any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Yes it is. To make and receive calls using VoIP you need a softphone, ata or ip phone. If you already have a regular phone then you can connect this to an internet adapter (ATA) and it will work just like a landline. The other option then is to have an IP Phone which connects to your router. The VoIP device would then get priority using QoS on your router. Calls to landlines, mobiles and abroad are usually a lot cheaper obviously. If you search through this forum you should be able to get an idea of how it works and other peoples setup. Feelfree to ask if you have any other questions

There is a list of voip providers here.

Advertisement