Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I claim social welfare if I left my job voluntarily?

Options
  • 08-08-2013 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Basically I left my job in April as I was leaving for Boston for the summer and I have just returned to Ireland but my position has been filled in my previous work.
    I cannot find a job now and I am wondering if I can claim social welfare now as a result?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,400 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

bean2710 wrote: »
    Basically I left my job in April as I was leaving for Boston for the summer and I have just returned to Ireland but my position has been filled in my previous work.
    I cannot find a job now and I am wondering if I can claim social welfare now as a result?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

If you've paid PRSI contributions, I think so. There's usually a period you have to wait before you can sign on (9 weeks? used to be anyway) but that time will have passed.

EDIT - I was correct.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/signing_on.html

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

As far as I know, they make you wait a 9 week penalty period if you voluntarily leave your job without good reason. I stand to be corrected however as i've not been in that situation myself. hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bean2710

I left my job about 12 weeks ago now to go travelling in America. I was a student until April so I have never paid much PRSI. I didn't work in America either so should this mean I am safe to apply for benefits now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Apply anyway, they'll either give it to you or at least let you know where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,400 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

bean2710 wrote: »
    I left my job about 12 weeks ago now to go travelling in America. I was a student until April so I have never paid much PRSI. I didn't work in America either so should this mean I am safe to apply for benefits now?

What you did in America makes no difference.

If they rule you out on the PRSI issue, try for Jobseeker's Allowance.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement