Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"See posts I've reported"

Options
  • 08-08-2013 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I know that Madsl had a thread recently about wanting a way to track posts they'd reported, but there weren't too many takers for the idea.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to add a 'see posts I've reported' function, similar to the 'see posts I've thanked' function. I guess this would have to be hidden from everybody but the profile owner though (and mods too I suppose).

I report posts on occasion, and would like to go back and see if any action was taken on a post for which I obviously felt action should be taken. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to do this, apart from bookmarking pages or something like that.

However, this raises another issue I've just thought of - is it always evident that action has been taken, simply by looking at a post? I can sometimes see a yellow or red card, or a mod note. What I mean is, if, a few days later, a posts looks just as it did when it was reported, does this mean that no action has been taken, or that there may have been action taken which isn't evident from the post itself?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

osarusan wrote: »
    I'm wondering if it would be possible to add a 'see posts I've reported' function, similar to the 'see posts I've thanked' function.
    You may wish to start a thread in Site Development?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Don't really think it's something they'd be in a rush to implement. You've asked what a lot of people have asked for previously, just from a slightly different perspective.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's not possible, since permissions are done by forum, not by thread/post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Hi,

I know that Madsl had a thread recently about wanting a way to track posts they'd reported, but there weren't too many takers for the idea.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to add a 'see posts I've reported' function, similar to the 'see posts I've thanked' function. I guess this would have to be hidden from everybody but the profile owner though (and mods too I suppose).

I report posts on occasion, and would like to go back and see if any action was taken on a post for which I obviously felt action should be taken. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to do this, apart from bookmarking pages or something like that.

I can never understand the thinking behind this. Why would it bother you so much that you would have to check?
    However, this raises another issue I've just thought of - is it always evident that action has been taken, simply by looking at a post? I can sometimes see a yellow or red card, or a mod note. What I mean is, if, a few days later, a posts looks just as it did when it was reported, does this mean that no action has been taken, or that there may have been action taken which isn't evident from the post itself?

If i report a post and see the same thing still there a few days later then i assume the mods have read it and decided that either the poster is warned but the post can stay or they do not think it requires action. Just because i find something wrong with a post does not always mean others will.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sometimes I may PM user(s). No in-thread comments may be made. So yes it can very much appear like no action may have been taken. (When in fact the poor mod has now entered into a day long exchange of PMs. :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

bumper234 wrote: »
    I can never understand the thinking behind this. Why would it bother you so much that you would have to check?

Why does it bother you so much that you comment on why this bothers people? Some of us do like to see action taken on blatant rule breakers and do look to see if action has been taken. Much like reporting spammers and then go back to that thread to see that the spammer has been banned.
    If i report a post and see the same thing still there a few days later then i assume the mods have read it and decided that either the poster is warned but the post can stay or they do not think it requires action. Just because i find something wrong with a post does not always mean others will.

If a poster is warned it is yellow carded.

My idea was some visibility to know if a post had been marked "no action" by a mod. I really only thought that would be visible to the reporter. I still think this a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

MadsL wrote: »
    My idea was some visibility to know if a post had been marked "no action" by a mod. I really only thought that would be visible to the reporter. I still think this a good idea.

I've said this before in a few posts but the vast majority of posts get actioned in some way, from a PM as Jernal posted, maybe checking a posters history for future reference, keeping an eye on them on a thread, noting the name for future use, doing a check with the admins for dupe/shill accounts, maybe noting them in the mod fora and I'm sure other stuff I can't remember now. A sizeable chunk of reported posts would be acted on in these ways and there is no visible record available.

I suppose access could be granted to the actual thread started by the reported post in the RP forum but mods sometimes discuss things on those threads, it would be too much of a privacy issue for me there.

Basically I don't see how it is feasible as many RP's are acted on, just not with a card or ban. Indeed I don't think it is visible to users that a poster got banned for a post, mods usually post in thread saying so to help the posters.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Spear wrote: »
    It's not possible, since permissions are done by forum, not by thread/post.

The permissions for the Reported Posts forum could be set so that a user can see, and only see, the threads that he himself has started — i.e. his own reported posts. It would function much like the Admin Drop Box in the mods' forum. Another forum I'm on has this feature, and it allows a user to view all of his reported posts by viewing their respective threads. I wouldn't be in favour of this solution, mind you, because valuable discussions can be held in the thread a reported post generates, but it's an option.

gvn wrote: »
    The permissions for the Reported Posts forum could be set so that a user can see, and only see, the threads that he himself has started — i.e. his own reported posts. It would function much like the Admin Drop Box in the mods' forum. Another forum I'm on has this feature, and it allows a user to view all of his reported posts by viewing their respective threads. I wouldn't be in favour of this solution, mind you, because valuable discussions can be held in the thread a reported post generates, but it's an option.

If the same post is reported by other users it gets added to the original Reported post thread, that would be a privacy issue again as a user would be able to see who else reported the post.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

^^Was about to say that.

The other issue is that most mods don't use the RP forum threads to indicate what, if any, action, or inaction was taken so it'd be a bit pointless. It would also lead to a whole 'nother can or worms where mods would be plagued as to why they didn't reply.

Not a runner IMO.

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    Why does it bother you so much that you comment on why this bothers people? Some of us do like to see action taken on blatant rule breakers and do look to see if action has been taken. Much like reporting spammers and then go back to that thread to see that the spammer has been banned.

Why does it bother you that i have an opinion on this? I often report spammers. That's all i do l i report the post and report in the spammers thread i don't go checking back to see if the spammer has been banned because i trust the mods to carry out the action without me watching over their shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

bumper234 wrote: »
    Because I want to know if what i consider to be trolling/insulting etc is the same interpretation of the charter that the mod reaches. Consequently, if I am actually wasting the moderators' time or not with my reporting of posts.

Also, if a post/poster has been 'dealt with' it would allow me to know this and not report other/later posts in the thread (but maybe I should do that anyway).
    K-9 wrote: »
    I've said this before in a few posts but the vast majority of posts get actioned in some way, from a PM as Jernal posted, maybe checking a posters history for future reference, keeping an eye on them on a thread, noting the name for future use, doing a check with the admins for dupe/shill accounts, maybe noting them in the mod fora and I'm sure other stuff I can't remember now. A sizeable chunk of reported posts would be acted on in these ways and there is no visible record available.

I suppose access could be granted to the actual thread started by the reported post in the RP forum but mods sometimes discuss things on those threads, it would be too much of a privacy issue for me there.

Basically I don't see how it is feasible as many RP's are acted on, just not with a card or ban. Indeed I don't think it is visible to users that a poster got banned for a post, mods usually post in thread saying so to help the posters.

I wasn't looking for access to a different forum or anything like that. just a quick way to get back to the post I reported, in its original location/thread, in the same way I can quickly find my way back to a 'post I've thanked'.

We can all sometimes see yellow /red cards or mod notes which have been edited into a post, so it's clear that action has been taken. But, as you and Jernal have pointed out, other actions may be taken which are not evident simply by looking at that original post, or indeed anywhere else in the thread, so there isn't much point to my idea I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... I know that Madsl had a thread recently about wanting a way to track posts they'd reported, but there weren't too many takers for the idea.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to add a 'see posts I've reported' function, similar to the 'see posts I've thanked' function. I guess this would have to be hidden from everybody but the profile owner though (and mods too I suppose). ...
    I've asked about a similar facility twice in the past. The mods don't want it as it would highlight inconsistencies and partiality in their decisions and the site owners won't assign development time to it because driving forward on the commercial front has a higher priority (paraphrasing),

I'd love to see this developed but it's not gonna happen from what I've gathered.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

mathepac wrote: »
    The mods don't want it as it would highlight inconsistencies and partiality in their decisions

Maybe it's just how you worded it. This statement seems very disingenuous. It seems to imply we don't want it because it would show us to be biased and inconsistent. We'd like some feedback mechanism but preferably one that doesn't require a hefty time sink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Jernal wrote: »
    Maybe it's just how you worded it. This statement seems very disingenuous. It seems to imply we don't want it because it would show us to be biased and inconsistent. We'd like some feedback mechanism but preferably one that doesn't require a hefty time sink.
    It's the way I tell 'em :). My statement doesn't imply anything. It says what it says from my perspective. (disingenuous adj. : not straightforward or candid. I don't know how a statement can "seem very disingenuous" )

One of my previous requests made similar statements about mod decisions being partial and inconsistent, again from my perspective. My suggestion would have required zero mod work as it was simply a "tickle list" for me & other post reporters. The suggestion received deluge of mod criticism and rejection and I was subjected to the mandatory bad-mouthing / personal abuse accompanied by the usual unseemly "thanks" aka high-fiving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Sounds a bit laborious.

Then again, I don't report posts so constantly that I would lose track of who I want to see get into trouble.

anncoates wrote: »
    Sounds a bit laborious.

Then again, I don't report posts so constantly that I would lose track of who I want to see get into trouble.

It's not about that. It seems to me that after they report a post they want to be able to make sure that the mods have taken swift and decisive action against the poster and if not they would like to know why not:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's not quite the same case. Multiple reported posts stack up as replies to the same original reporter. In the case of the sigs forum, or the admin threads, it's the OP who can see the thread. And that would mean the original reporter seeing the other reporters, and thus a breach of the principle of privacy for reporters of posts. as well as the other reporters not seeing the thread at all. The alternative is a new thread for every single report, at which point it's already spiralling out of control.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's not quite the same case. Multiple reported posts stack up as replies to the same original reporter. In the case of the sigs forum, or the admin threads, it's the OP who can see the thread. And that would mean the original reporter seeing the other reporters, and thus a breach of the principle of privacy for reporters of posts. as well as the other reporters not seeing the thread at all. The alternative is a new thread for every single report, at which point it's already spiralling out of control.

Not true.

I just reported your same sig using two different accounts, there is no indication visible to the reporter that there is an other report.:)

Steve wrote: »
    Not true.

I just reported your same sig using two different accounts, there is no indication visible to the reporter that there is an other report.:)

But does each report have it's own thread ID?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As I understand it a reported sig goes somewhere in the Admin forum, but it is the user rather than the post that is detailed

Beasty wrote: »
    As I understand it a reported sig goes somewhere in the Admin forum, but it is the user rather than the post that is detailed

They don't go that far, but under Feedback:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1354

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They don't go that far, but under Feedback:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1354
    Yes - I was just having a look at one I reported some time ago - it shows the signature (as it was prior to an Admin amendment) but makes no reference to the underlying post from where it was reported

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Not true.

But that is not the question posed.

User A reports User B's post, it create a thread in a hidden forum.

User C also reports User B's post. It gets added onto User A's thread.

If User A was given visibility of the thread, they'd see all subsequent reports as well as any feedback or discussion amongst mods.

However, User C is apparently unable to do so, as it's not within a thread they've created.

I think the issue here is, there is no sense of confidence or privacy in the actions taken by User C, as User A is able to see that they reported something.

As it currently operates, even if a poster could only see their own reported post and any mod follow up, it is unlikely to serve any purpose. There tends to be little activity in the reported posts threads - often just a thanks from a mod to acknowledge they have had a look (to save other mods bothering). If there is any discussion on action taken it would often be within one of the Mods forums (based on my experience in the Sports Category).

In addition it may be inappropriate for the "reporter" to see any mod discussion on the reported post, as it may contain stuff that in inappropriate for the wider community to see (such as discussion of possible warning PMs or re-regs).

If something is worth saying to the wider community on the reported post that should be done in-thread and not simply offered to the poster who reported the post in the first place

If a poster thinks something is serious enough to warrant further action and they want to discuss it with the relevant mods they can always PM them (and if they are still not satisfied they can take it to CMod level).

For minor issues, just leave it to the mods as they tend to have enough on their plates already and do appreciate a bit of time to enjoy the site themselves rather than having to deal with endless PMs from users on such minor issues

But does each report have it's own thread ID?
    Yep, two unique threads were created, I'm sure I reported the sig using the the report button on the same post.
    User C also reports User B's post. It gets added onto User A's thread.
    I've just proved that is not the case, only the reporter has visibility of his/her own report.

So, from a nuts and bolts standpoint this seems possible. From a usability and mod workload standpoint, I still believe it's a non runner. :)

Yep, two unique threads were created, I'm sure I reported the sig using the the report button on the same post.

That's for sigs though. Go to the reported posts forum and look for threads with multiple replies, usually the "replies" are from other users reporting the same post, that's how the system appears to handle multiple reports of the same post. It lumps all the reported posts on the same post, in one thread.
    I've just proved that is not the case, only the reporter has visibility of his/her own report.

We had a bug in the system a while ago where the initial reporter of a post was able to see who subsequently reported the post. That was fixed quickly.
    So, from a nuts and bolts standpoint this seems possible. From a usability and mod workload standpoint, I still believe it's a non runner. :)

It probably could be fixed by every reported post creating a unique thread in the reported post forum. I'm not really seeing the benefit, if people are that interested in how a post was treated, just bookmark it!

K-9 wrote: »
    That's for sigs though. Go to the reported posts forum and look for threads with multiple replies, usually the "replies" are from other users reporting the same post, that's how the system appears to handle multiple reports of the same post. It lumps all the reported posts on the same post, in one thread.
    Yeah, I'm aware of that, sig reports are obviously handled differently, that's why I tested it.
    We had a bug in the system a while ago where the initial reporter of a post was able to see who subsequently reported the post. That was fixed quickly.
    I didn't know that.
    It probably could be fixed by every reported post creating a unique thread in the reported post forum. I'm not really seeing the benefit, if people are that interested in how a post was treated, just bookmark it!
    I'm not seeing the wider benefit (from a workload vs overall better site experience point of view) either - just pointing out that it's technically possible with the current framework. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Because I want to know if what i consider to be trolling/insulting etc is the same interpretation of the charter that the mod reaches. Consequently, if I am actually wasting the moderators' time or not with my reporting of posts.

Also, if a post/poster has been 'dealt with' it would allow me to know this and not report other/later posts in the thread (but maybe I should do that anyway).

I wasn't looking for access to a different forum or anything like that. just a quick way to get back to the post I reported, in its original location/thread, in the same way I can quickly find my way back to a 'post I've thanked'.

We can all sometimes see yellow /red cards or mod notes which have been edited into a post, so it's clear that action has been taken. But, as you and Jernal have pointed out, other actions may be taken which are not evident simply by looking at that original post, or indeed anywhere else in the thread, so there isn't much point to my idea I guess.

Maybe you could write "Please PM me to let me know what action (if any) you take if you have the time" or something similar in the bottom of the dialogue box.

Just remember that some mods such as AH mods are extremely busy and so cannot reply to every reported post, whereas in smaller fora there is plenty scope for PM replies.

• Advertisement

Maybe you could write "Please PM me to let me know what action (if any) you take if you have the time" or something similar in the bottom of the dialogue box.

Just remember that some mods such as AH mods are extremely busy and so cannot reply to every reported post, whereas in smaller fora there is plenty scope for PM replies.
    I really don't see why the reporter should get any more info than any other regular user. If the post warrants a card they can see it. If the post is deleted they will see it's not there. If the poster gets a warning PM it's none of the business of the person who reported it. The reporter will also see any other message the mod makes in-thread

Asking mods to PM with details of action taking is, tbh, a lot of hassle (it would probably drive the Soccer Mods mad for example, and then the rules lawyers will be dissecting every fine details when they see the remotest inconsistency) - If the reporter considers it serious enough they can PM the mod anyway

Advertisement