Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mon - Fri Renting

Options
  • 08-08-2013 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi All

First time ever posting (long time reader) on a board forum so please bare with me.

I purchased a house in the Dublin 8 area last year and love it. However money situation is not great and was thinking of renting the spare room out on a Mon - Fri basis, I would like to keep the house as mine at the wkend.

Would anyone be able to tell me if this is a popular way of renting? do many people require just renting Mon - Fri??

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Id say you should be able to get some interest alright. Students certainly (if you are prepared to go down that road), or people working in Dublin who would like to go back home at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

kellyshell wrote: »
    Hi All

First time ever posting (long time reader) on a board forum so please bare with me.

I purchased a house in the Dublin 8 area last year and love it. However money situation is not great and was thinking of renting the spare room out on a Mon - Fri basis, I would like to keep the house as mine at the wkend.
    The
    Would anyone be able to tell me if this is a popular way of renting? do many people require just renting Mon - Fri??

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I've had a few lodgers under this arrangement, it seems to be quite popular with jobs being in Dublin but people having houses elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

I've had a few lodgers under this arrangement, it seems to be quite popular with jobs being in Dublin but people having houses elsewhere.

Thanks all for the fast responses!!

The_Morrigan can I ask how did you split bills? Were they included in the rent?? Did you have rooms people could not use?

I have no problems with any of the rooms being used and the bathroom will be shared.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Thanks all for the fast responses!!

The_Morrigan can I ask how did you split bills? Were they included in the rent?? Did you have rooms people could not use?
    What
    I have no problems with any of the rooms being used and the bathroom will be shared.

Thanks again :)

I've a two bed apartment, they had their own room and the main bathroom to themselves. Common areas were a free for all.

I don't split bills, I do a fixed amount every month inclusive of bills as I have to do a tax return and the standing orders on my bank statement are proof enough. I can't be arsed keeping bills and breakdowns and receipts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There certainly will be people who would do this. Lots of people travel up to Dublin to work during the week and would be delighted with this arrangement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

Thanks a million everyone responses are appreciated.

I was hoping the standard way of doing things was one payment and I deal with the bills...............as was said "I could not be arsed" splitting bills.

I now just need to get the room sorted and advertised.

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Thanks a million everyone responses are appreciated.

I was hoping the standard way of doing things was one payment and I deal with the bills...............as was said "I could not be arsed" splitting bills.

I now just need to get the room sorted and advertised.

Cheers :)

My only suggestion on your proposal (having had such an arrangement in the past) is to make it very clear that the room is available from Mon-Fri only. No arguments or discussion.

Otherwise you can end up on a "I'll be around this weekend, hope you don't mind" "Hope it's OK if my boyfriend stays over this evening" "Sorry we didn't know that bottle of wine was yours" death spiral.

Advertisement