Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Experimental Metal thread…

• 08-08-2013 9:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have been listening to a bit of Experimental Metal lately…Fantomas, Mr Bundle, Melvins etc.

(bit of a Mike Patton / Buzz Osborne “trip”).

I just want to see if anyone else is a fan and who else am Imissing from my playlist.

Also loving Melt Banana lately, although probably moreExperimental Punk, but let’s not split hairs.

Here’s a little taster:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Get some Sleepytime Gorilla Museum on there too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Grayditch wrote: »
    Get some Sleepytime Gorilla Museum on there too :)

Thanking you.

(Apologies for my MASSIVE FONNNNT)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

I think Nailz is the Mike Patton expert around these parts :D. You might get some helpful suggestions from him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Unexpect are a must for this thread. Incredible stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

xerces wrote: »
    I think Nailz is the Mike Patton expert around these parts :D. You might get some helpful suggestions from him...
    Hehe, I must say I'm honoured, and also quite flattered! :P

Great OP, good to hear you're stuck into Banana Melt, excellent band; if you like what you hear there then I may suggest another Japanese Noise artist by the name of Merzbow, it's actually very experimental and has little rock elements to it, but he makes brilliant music. Can be nice and ambient too!

And of course Mike Patton and experimental music can't be mentioned in the same breath or thread without mentioning John Zorn. Here's a project of his from the 90's called Painkiller, heavily influenced by Napalm Death and Progressive Jazz!

There's a little group lead by Trey Spruance, who you may know as one of the founders and main song writers in Mr. Bungle, called Secret Chiefs 3. Check them out if you haven't already, awesome mix of World Music with Funk, Jazz, and Death Metal all used rarely, but brilliantly put together when you hear them being used!

And here's a bit closer to home...

Finally; if you haven't heard Mike's soundtracks yet, try to! His OST for Crank 2 in particular is a masterpiece and will sit right at home with you if you love Fantômas. And also check out Trevor Dunn's solo work, not Metal in the slightest, a big Avant Garde Jazz-fest, but it's good listening... Keep listening to Melvins. ;)

Thanks a lot for the opportunity to nerd out there, I enjoyed that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Nailz wrote: »
    Hehe, I must say I'm honoured, and also quite flattered! :P

Great OP, good to hear you're stuck into Banana Melt, excellent band; if you like what you hear there then I may suggest another Japanese Noise artist by the name of Merzbow, it's actually very experimental and has little rock elements to it, but he makes brilliant music. Can be nice and ambient too!

And of course Mike Patton and experimental music can't be mentioned in the same breath or thread without mentioning John Zorn. Here's a project of his from the 90's called Painkiller, heavily influenced by Napalm Death and Progressive Jazz!

There's a little group lead by Trey Spruance, who you may know as one of the founders and main song writers in Mr. Bungle, called Secret Chiefs 3. Check them out if you haven't already, awesome mix of World Music with Funk, Jazz, and Death Metal all used rarely, but brilliantly put together when you hear them being used!

And here's a bit closer to home...

Finally; if you haven't heard Mike's soundtracks yet, try to! His OST for Crank 2 in particular is a masterpiece and will sit right at home with you if you love Fantômas. And also check out Trevor Dunn's solo work, not Metal in the slightest, a big Avant Garde Jazz-fest, but it's good listening... Keep listening to Melvins. ;)

THANK YOU very much Nailz.

You are certainly the aficionado xerces proclaimed.

I am gonna stick on a big pot of coffee and check all these out...

"We're not in Kansas* anymore Toto"

They're gonna have to scrape me off the ceiling at 5 o'clock.

* Dublin Industrial Estate, Finglas, Dublin 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Sigh are also another must for this thread.

Their last album In Somniphobia is pure brilliance along with Imaginary Sonicscape,hope to see these guys live at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Nailz wrote: »

Hehe, didn't mean to pressure you into posting, but it's definitely fair to say that you know a hell of a lot about him and other related music :D. Nice one, I'll have my hands full with those recommendations...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

This stuff comes with the caveat that I'd call it 'experimental', but far removed from the likes of Mr. Bungle. If you can get your hands on Gorgut's third album 'Obscura', do. They've a new album ('Coloured Sands') out in a few weeks, and what I've heard so far sounds more digestible than 'Obscura', but no less amazing.

Also worthy of a shout is Fredrik Thordendal's (he of Mehsuggah fame) solo record 'Sol Niger Within'. It's the type of thing you're better off listening to in one sitting, as distinct songs are few and far between.

• Advertisement
Advertisement