Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Average age of bikers..

• 08-08-2013 9:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭

Sitting at a coffee stop yesterday with some mates solving the worlds problens the talk turned to biking and riders...we discussed the age of most of the guys we regularly meet on our spins ..we four are all in our 50's and most guys i know are around the same age......some others came and went ..they were also "elderly"......with the high insurance and the general lack of enthusiasm in biking in the youngsters will there be any bikers left in ,say 30-40 years do ya think...are we a dying breed....:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Viserion

I'm 26 years old and about 90% of my friends/acquaintances are on bikes and the age range we're in is 20 - 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Viserion wrote: »
    I'm 26 years old and about 90% of my friends/acquaintances are on bikes and the age range we're in is 20 - 40.

Thats encouraging......but i'm wondering if they (20 somethings) will keep on bikes or is it mostly they just use them for transport/convienience do ya think...?...is there a love for bikes..??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Viserion

Thats encouraging......but i'm wondering if they (20 somethings) will keep on bikes or is it mostly they just use them for transport/convienience do ya think...?...is there a love for bikes..??

Big love for bikes, on average, we all own at least 2 bikes and majority of us do not own a car at all so we're out on them come rain or shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I'm 23. Been biking since I got a moped at 16. None of my friends are bikers though. Would have to agree most are a bit older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Maybe add a poll to the thread?

I'm 24. I absolutely love bikes and will stay on them for as long as I live. I love the rally scene too.

I am the youngest in my club by a very long shot. At least 20 years anyway.

On the plus side, two friends of mine have very recently started biking. One of them is my age and the other is about two years younger than me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

30 in my second year of biking. Cant say anything about an age gap...dont really ride with others. need to get myself into a club or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I actually think biking is cheaper now than when I started.

I'm 47 now and biking since I was.. I remember clearly my first insurance on a Yamaha DT175 was 780 punts (old money for you yongersters) and my wages in the army at the time was (give or take depending on duties) around 150 punts per week.

We didn't have IBT training then, but I'd done a dispatch riders course immediately after recruit training and this qualified me for a full licence.

Most young lads I know know getting their first bike/insurance aren't paying many times their weekly wage.. Personally I think its a good time to start biking, or at least better and cheaper than it was back then.

I actually think biking is cheaper now than when I started.

I'm 47 now and biking since I was.. I remember clearly my first insurance on a Yamaha DT175 was 780 punts (old money for you yongersters) and my wages in the army at the time was (give or take depending on duties) around 150 punts per week.

We didn't have IBT training then, but I'd done a dispatch riders course immediately after recruit training and this qualified me for a full licence.

Most young lads I know know getting their first bike/insurance aren't paying many times their weekly wage.. Personally I think its a good time to start biking, or at least better and cheaper than it was back then.

Agree...when i started my insurance was half the cost of my new bike (£600 Cb125s).....wages were £45/wk.....20 to the ma..:rolleyes:......how did we survive.....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm 33, and most of my friends are in or around the early to mid thirties. Bar the lads I've met on spins none of my close friends have bikes. One lad has the license but hasn't had a bike in 4 or 5 years. Most like the idea of getting a motorbike but they deem them to be too dangerous or aren't 'allowed' by their missus'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I'm in my early 30's and the lads I go on spins with fall somewhere between 25-40 so there's a good mix.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

22 and I've just begun riding. Don't know anyone my age that has a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

24 and have 2 friends who have bikes. There would also be a few more in my area who are the same age or younger than me who have bikes or at least scooters. That said, the majority of bikers in my area would be over 30.

I'm sure like myself a lot of guys here started on bikes in their late teens...and probably had at least 3 bike changes before they hit 20..........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I'm 27 and don't know anyone around my age that rides bikes. I'm in a small bike club which doesn't have any young members although two might be joining soon.

Anyone in their 20's want to join a a club or go on weekend spins just send me a PM :) I love going for a drive somewhere and not just for tea and cake. So usually it's to some heritage or touristy place for an hour or two and breakfast before hand. Went to under ground caves a few weeks back which was interesting.

It's something that does kinda be on the back of my mind.. where are all the young riders and how much people are missing out on by not trying biking. I know a lot of people that won't try biking because of the over hyped danger. The first thing a lot of people people say to guys/girls that are interested in biking is "sure isn't biking is very dangerous did you see xyz in the paper the other week...".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I for to add the average age of my biker friends, and thinking about it now there's probably no average.

What I do have, and probably anyone (Max Headroom) who have been around awhile are mates who haven't rode a bike in years through one reason or another but who will be bikers until the day they die.

A little thought for the younger lads here (you've probably heard it before but its worth repeating);

'There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers. But there are no old bold bikers'.

Be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Good question OP. I love my bike but only really ride it for commuting at the minute. I'm 32.

Between the IBT and insurance , I think there will be even less enthusiasts in 30 years time.

On the other hand, those who bother to get around those barriers to entry and get on a bike - will be more hardcore than the average rider now.

I've seen some of my mates moving away from them when they have kids arrive.... I suppose it's seen as irresponsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

I'm 25 and none of my friends have bikes. Well 1 or 2 do but never seem to use them so I usually end up going for spins on my own.
    Most say they wouldn't be able to ride a bike despite them never actually trying it in the first place. Sometimes I think about buying them IBT lessons just to force them to try it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'm 26 and had bikes since I was 20. Three of my (similar aged) mates have bikes also, probably as a result of me having one. Two in the last year and one for the last three years or so. They all have cars where as I use the bike for all of my transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Seanie_H wrote: »
    Between the IBT and insurance , I think there will be even less enthusiasts in 30 years time.

Wholeheartedly disagree about the IBT. If it wasn't for the IBT I never would have gotten into biking. Spending 500 euro on a motorbike driving course is worth it. The specifics of the IBT, rules and bike licensing restrictions is all very debatable.

I knew nothing about biking. I didn't know that they had sequential gear changes or a clutch lever. Never sat on one in my life. I think there are a lot of people out there like that. Now there is this official IBT course where a trainer will teach them how to ride a bike from scratch. I just think that's great.

Wholeheartedly disagree about the IBT. If it wasn't for the IBT I never would have gotten into biking. Spending 500 euro on a motorbike driving course is worth it. The specifics of the IBT, rules and bike licensing restrictions is all very debatable.

I knew nothing about biking. I didn't know that they had sequential gear changes or a clutch lever. Never sat on one in my life. I think there are a lot of people out there like that. Now there is this official IBT course where a trainer will teach them how to ride a bike from scratch. I just think that's great.

I've done the IBT. It's great for safety and a great introduction.... but it's > EUR 400. The previous system pretty much allowed anybody to jump on a bike (even though many, including me on my Veradero 125, knew anything about 'sequential gear changes or a clutch lever').

It's gone from free to expensive and that's going to filter out people who aren't committed to fully learning the bike from even trying. Less people trying = less people maintaining it.

For arguments sake, if 50% of all bikers give up after 3 years let's say and the number of people of starting/trying biking drops from 500 to 300 per year, then 250 vs. 150 will go longer than 3 years and so on.

You're the perfect example of my point. Somebody who was interested, committed to it and now very pro bike and pro system. You will be around in 30 years time :D

• Advertisement

When i got my first bike i had no mates with ,or remotely interested in bikes....I had to teach myself, i'd always loved bicycles (hate now :P) so it seemed a natural progression, and duck to water etc.....Thinking about it, it was probably the best day of my life, even better than gettin the knee down in Mondello...:o
    I wonder if the IBT is actually turning people away from biking.....
    In this world of PC and all things good i wonder if we're heading back to the days when bikers were looked down on and refused entry to pubs etc...hope not.....
    Question for the newbies (20 somethings :))...do you love all things bike or is it the current "scene" or just because you cant afford a car ..yet...?
    Dont worry you wont be judged....;)

P.S.........anyone know what percentage of bike accidents involve IBT riders..???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

do you love all things bike or is it the current "scene" or just because you cant afford a car ..yet...?

I just really like it. It suits me down to the ground. I have no interest in cars, if I didn't have a bike I'd still take the bus everywhere. I'm not involved in any scene to do with biking, I just have mine and ride it. I wouldn't call it love, it's hard to love a girl who has started boring you (125 Vara), but if I got something bigger, it could be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Interesting discussion.

Unfortunately most of the guys I know in the scooter scene are 40+, I'm 45 myself and started 10 years ago. Many of the lads started in the 1980s as teenagers after watching Quadrophenia or being into the 2 Tone scene. If they couldn't afford one back then they can now like me, "born agains" I suppose and nothing wrong with that.

There is some new blood on the scene with a handful of guys in their teens/20s getting vespas and lambrettas but just not enough. Even the "commuters" aren't buying Vespas PX's these days according to the shop, they are all going for new Twist and Go's. So that's the 2nd hand market being killed off for us vespa geared scooter enthusiasts. The scooter scene is turning into a vintage collectors type scene and will continue to do so as we scooterists reach our 50s and 60s and beyond.

Regards the IBT I think its fine, it's here to stay and although I got my licence long before it was introduced and I've no problem with it, just the cost. However if the price was halved it would make biking more attractive. If Vat on safety gear was removed it would also make biking more attractive. Insurance these days is reasonable compared to the past decades. Overall I don't think price is that much an issue, getting a car costs money too. I think the biggest hurdle is peoples and societies negative perception of biking.

I don't know what would make biking more attractive? Perhaps if it was on TV more often or the social side was emphasied more or as a perfect way to commute??

:D....remember pullin up outside the Olympic ( or maybe the Top Hat) to see the Jam........on my 500/4 with a megaphone pipe on it......sharp suit , slip-ons ,white sox.....ya wanna see the looks i got......bike wasnt touched....great days.....:P
    Whatever scene yer into is cool..means more bikes otr.........;)

Tomohawk wrote: »

However if the price was halved it would make biking more attractive. If Vat on safety gear was removed it would also make biking more attractive. Insurance these days is reasonable compared to the past decades. Overall I don't think price is that much an issue, getting a car costs money too. I think the biggest hurdle is peoples and societies negative perception of biking.

Really good ideas on the vat and pricing and great point on perception.

I think there is a fear factor from outsiders in biking. Some because of the media but some from the lunatics that are on bikes too. Difficult to change such a widespread perception.

I love seeing cities like Barcelona where there are bikes everywhere.... It's not a big deal to be on one, it's just an everyday thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I decided completely out of the blue last Christmas that I'd fancy looking into getting a bike, did the theory test in Jan, IBT in Feb, got My Bandit 650 in March and I'll never look back. Best decision I've ever made. I'm 25 and I believe the new rules helped me make the decision to go with it, direct access to the A permit is brilliant.

I've gotta admit it appealed to me as I had previously learned to drive a car and it was an absolute pain with the rules. When it came to the bike I had never sat on one before, I really appreciated the IBT and then being free to go buy a bike and ride it was amazing. With the car I never drove it regularly enough, rushed the test before heading away travelling and of course failed it.

Now I commute daily on the bike, even living and working on the Dart line, and go for spins at the weekend and properly enjoy it. Feel confident to take the test now and all. Only problem is none of my mates are into bikes!

M450 wrote: »
    . Only problem is none of my mates are into bikes!

Plenty of mates here...matey...........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I'm 40 years old and have been riding for 15 years. A couple of mates are bikers and are around the same age. I don't know too many people here in Galway but I recognise most of the bikes and their riders. There seems to be a good mix of ages. But probably the majority are from late 30's and upwards. But I don't think we are a dying breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I'm 40 years old and have been riding for 15 years. A couple of mates are bikers and are around the same age. I don't know too many people here in Galway but I recognise most of the bikes and their riders. There seems to be a good mix of ages. But probably the majority are from late 30's and upwards. But I don't think we are a dying breed.

Jeez, I dunno. 40-something myself in Galway and I'm struggling to think of anyone below. ...35 ? Never see any young people on bikes. Not even mopeds.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'm in my early 40's and while numbers of young riders have decreased I do know a few young guys and girls riding bikes these days.
    I think there is a degree of brainwashing by the media going on as well, RTE hardly ever report Motorcycle sport except in a negative way even though we have had Eugene Laverty on the podium in World Superbike often this year.
    If a Golfer came 25th in Dubai it would make headlines, Eugene winning a race hardly gets mentioned.

Advertisement