Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Average age of bikers..

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

galwaytt wrote: »
    Jeez, I dunno. 40-something myself in Galway and I'm struggling to think of anyone below. ...35 ? Never see any young people on bikes. Not even mopeds.

I've seen a couple of youngish bikers around NUIG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

In my mid 30's and I mingle with lads of all ages (sounds weird lol :rolleyes: ) ....ugly looking yokes the lot of them but lads of all ages. Most would be early to late 20's but a few owl' lads knocking around! Quite mature all the same no lunatics bar the odd one or two....

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

Im 24 and just started riding about 7/8 months ago.I done a lesson and got over the initial fear but I learned waay more on the Blood Bike West charity run just riding with other fellas. None of my mates are even the slightest bit interested in bikes which sucks since riding in groups seems like a lot of fun. Wouldnt mind joining a club or something in Galway and going on spins but I dont really know anyone in the scene, any ideas anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

28, out of the blue became interested in bikes ,went about it all arsed ways tho, bought bike first last November, 4 months later theory test, trying to sort out ibt next and then can't wait to get on road. But would love to join a club down in the cork area, meet new people and all that jazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

galwaytt wrote: »
    Jeez, I dunno. 40-something myself in Galway and I'm struggling to think of anyone below. ...35 ? Never see any young people on bikes. Not even mopeds.

I'm 25 from galway. I know one or two around my age with bikes but it as you said most are 30+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

I'm 21 and have been on bikes since I was 4 years old. Although the bike I'm on now is my first 'road' bike, it's actually my the 4th bike I've owned. Definitely a love of bikes, I don't use mine for transport really, just for spins and a bit of fun. I know a few lads who are around my age on bikes, but it does seem the majority are older

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I'm 28, been riding for 2 years. Very proud to say that I've convinced 5 people, all under 30, to get into biking. Only one (so far) has decided it's not for him. Fairly early stages for all still though, so we'll see.

But aside from that I know feck all people around my age who are into it...which boggles my mind, because we're at that age where we can probably afford it if we want. Who the hell wouldn't want to ride? Crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Just shy of 50, been riding sickles since I'm 16, awarded life member patch in my club last year.

We're a bunch of old-aged, middle-aged, sickle riding, beer swilling, doob smoking reprobates...except for the young bloods in the club :D;)

Lot of young bloods coming into the club/rally scene & it's good to see, they're the future of this thing of ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

42, been riding and around bikes and sidecars all my life, everyone i know around galway is in their 40's as well, as for clubs any clubs i know are for bikers, i'm not a biker i ride a motorbike and i don't discriminate against any group of riders be you on a scoot or race rep or cruiser, so long as you're friendly then so am i!!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

62 last birthday ... started riding for the first time about a month ago on a Honda 500 which I got from Bikeworld

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

42yrs old, been on bikes since I was 17yrs.
    I often have this conversation as when I first started biking back home in Scotland there were lots of young lads out on their TZRs, NSRs flying around, most of the guys I encouter now are my age and older. It's encouraging to read that there's young blood following us!
    As another poster stated bikes, insurance & gear are so affordable now! I paid £900 insurance TP only for a pile or crap KE125 as my 1st bike 25yrs ago when I earned only £45 per week while at college. Bought my 1st new bike in 1998 (R6) for £7, 500 - more or less the price now 15yrs later for the same bike! Suprising & dissapointing that there's not more young lads chomping at our heels!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Steve.N wrote: »
    Suprising & dissapointing that there's not more young lads chomping at our heels!!

What we need is "One Direction" to appear on bikes....:rolleyes::D...i dont think bikes are seen as cool thesedays, think we might be back in the "me ma' wont let me get a bike " days.........

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BigDog101

26-27, always wanted to get into bikes but always hated the idea of the two yr restriction on new riders. Since the legislation changed this January it's all seemed a lot more do-able. Doing the IBT in under two weeks, have to save cash for a while for gear and bike, can't wait to get started, hopefully the weather isn't too **** this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lemonperv

26 and will be doing my IBT later this year (nearly have the cash for all my gear; I wanted to get that sorted before I do the IBT).

I know 2 people that are into bikes. One is 28 and the other is 30.

My cousin is 18 and looks like he's going to get going with it too.

P.S. Don't tell my mum! (Dreading that bit...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

39 been riding bike on the road since 17 and off it since 6.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Im 27, most of the lads I go out on the bikes with are late 20s/ early 30s.
    I only see about 4 other bikes around AIT during the year, couple of thousand students there :(
    dwelby101 wrote: »
    Im 24 and just started riding about 7/8 months ago.I done a lesson and got over the initial fear but I learned waay more on the Blood Bike West charity run just riding with other fellas. None of my mates are even the slightest bit interested in bikes which sucks since riding in groups seems like a lot of fun. Wouldnt mind joining a club or something in Galway and going on spins but I dont really know anyone in the scene, any ideas anyone?

Have you not done your IBT?
    Cops wont like that very much if you havnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

chrismon wrote: »
    Have you not done your IBT?
    Cops wont like that very much if you havnt.

No I haven't done it yet, I'm on my second provisional (or learner permit) and i got my first one before it was compulsory to do the IBT so i dont need it atm but i will have to do modules 1,3&5 before i can sit my full test. Sucky thing is, I need to do it on a 600cc + bike if i want the full A unrestricted, guess ill have to use a school bike since mine is only 400cc... theres always something! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 resnatop

I am starting out in a few weeks, and I am 17. Got my bike, got my gear, IBT is on the way. Been saving for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

resnatop wrote: »
    I am starting out in a few weeks, and I am 17. Got my bike, got my gear, IBT is on the way. Been saving for ages.

Best of luck, I remember well waiting to get on the road, waiting for the birthday so I could get insured, when that day came it didn't disappoint.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Odrevan

17 year old biker here, what with my dad & uncles being avid bikers I was introduced to biking from an early age. Nobody in my year drives a bike, but I have one friend who seems rather interested and she recently sat the theory test, so yeah bikers come in all ages really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Lemonperv wrote: »
    26 and will be doing my IBT later this year (nearly have the cash for all my gear; I wanted to get that sorted before I do the IBT).

I know 2 people that are into bikes. One is 28 and the other is 30.

My cousin is 18 and looks like he's going to get going with it too.

P.S. Don't tell my mum! (Dreading that bit...)

Don't tell yer ma for a while, I'm 26 now but I remember at 19 getting my first bike (little dragstar 125) delivered to me girlfriends gaff to hide it from me ma, because I was always told I'd never own a bike while she was around.
    Thought myself how to ride it up and down the country roads. When I got it all sorted with my gear and insurance and stuff I got a few lessons and a rider assessment done and got the grade 1.
    Drove the bike to the mother's house after with evidence I was a good, safe rider,(proper gear, slip of paper with the assessment results) to break the news and although she wasn't best pleased at first, 2 weeks later she was hounding me to go pillion for a spin lol.

I've gone through 6 bikes since and I'm currently on my dream bike, a fireblade.

There were 5 of us all mid 20s riding for a while but one of the lads had a small off which put him right off so our group is now down to 4 friends who ride.
    There seems to be a good age range of bikers in kk these days though, majority I see are 40+ old but I know there is 2 or 3 17 or 18 year olds after starting recently and a few lads our age still floating around.

I'm waffling a bit now and probably not making much sense.

Rubber side down lads(and lassess)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Im 22, been riding two years but always had a gra for bikes....got my Bandit when I was 19...and my mams first thing she said to me was....and ill never forget it..

"F**k off and don't you come to f**king visit me cause itll mean youre coming up here on that f**king thing!"

haha she got over it though!

Now im 22 and my bike is 35...but we're makin it work! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I borrowed my mums bike for a couple of months when I was 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

24 - Three bikes in. On them since I was 19. Had a car for awhile but I'm back to only bike transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Just put 75000 miles up on the Deauville.
    Go, laugh... I'm not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Glad to see so many young'ens getting into bikes.hope theyll stick with it.....most of the younger lads i know switched to cars....and dont see themselves ever getting a bike again..:(.....

on the plus side i bought another bike yesterday........from a young guy......every cloud.....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Im 21 on my 2nd bike. Started about 2 years ago. Im going getting a car again in the next few months. I realized that its tuff being an all year biker and sometimes you really need a car for certain activities. In saying that im keeping my bike theres no way in hell im getting rid of it. I even have my next bike picked out for 3 years times when I graduate:P Its a shame how none of my friends bike riders.

Advertisement