Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Accent

Options
  • 08-08-2013 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

It started in Dublin 4, quickly spread to RTE, 2fm, and other Dublin radio and TV stations. I can forgive kids talking like this as they have been so influenced by US media but adults (25+) who have grown up in Dublin, Waterford or where ever, no. I hear it on WLR and Beat now. Im talking about:

Gordai/Gorda for Gardai/Garda
    Oar-T-E for RTE
    Twi-der for twitter
    Sounds like Evin for oven (Rachel Allen hang your head)
    pardy for party

since when did the 'r' sound become 'oar',the 't' a 'd' sound etc.

Keep your great Waterford accent lads and ladies.

PS. Yes i know i sound very pedantic and i dont want to come across all Stephen Fry, anyone else notice this? I expect it from Dublin media as its a bit pathetic like that but newsreaders on WLR,noooooooooooooo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

I agree with you. I love the Waterford accent and it was one of the things that appealed to me when I met my husband ;). I think it's one of the best accents in the country.

I'm not from Waterford and I don't have a Waterford accent but I've lived in a number of places so have a blended accent and most people wouldn't know where I'm from based on my accent.

I also love the exclusive Waterford sayings. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The new Aviva ad with Mario Rosenstock is great, first time I've heard a real Waterford accent on de telly boi.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Mario is from Waterford isn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Triangla wrote: »
    Mario is from Waterford isn't he?

I don't think so, he is fond of the place due to being a student in either Newtown or the old WIT (so I've been told)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I don't think so, he is fond of the place due to being a student in either Newtown or the old WIT (so I've been told)

His mother is from Waterford and I'm pretty sure he grew up here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

ON THE BAWWL BOY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Max Powers wrote: »
    It started in Dublin 4, quickly spread to RTE, 2fm, and other Dublin radio and TV stations. I can forgive kids talking like this as they have been so influenced by US media but adults (25+) who have grown up in Dublin, Waterford or where ever, no. I hear it on WLR and Beat now. Im talking about:

Oar-T-E for RTE
    Twi-der for twitter
    pardy for party

PS. Yes i know i sound very pedantic and i dont want to come across all Stephen Fry, anyone else notice this? I expect it from Dublin media as its a bit pathetic like that but newsreaders on WLR,noooooooooooooo

Your showing your age now.......dont old men complain about things like this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

old gregg wrote: »
    His mother is from Waterford and I'm pretty sure he grew up here
    Went to Waterpark according to Wikipedia.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Max Powers wrote: »

Oar-T-E for RTE
    Twi-der for twitter
    pardy for party

Spot on. Doesn't that Allen one bake 'cop cakes'? And one of the Ear to the ground/Country wide women talks about Courk. I'm not sure where that place is.
    It stems from the Dublin media. After all, if it doesn't happen in Dublin - it doesn't happen at all. Could be aping the Brits too. Did you ever notice the way some of those people presenting news articles on RTE shape their mouths?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Motivator

Jason Todd wrote: »

He grew up in Ferrybank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

noddyone2 wrote: »
    Did you ever notice the way some of those people presenting news articles on RTE shape their mouths?

I think that's to do with deaf people being able to lip read what they are saying then trying to look posh.That's what they look for in a news presenter I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

Really dislike the Waterford accent :eek:

Have only heard Beat and I honestly don't no HOW op can say they speak with D4 accents...you clearly have not heard them!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Marios Mother is an O Donavon from Couse a gifted actress in her own right, I met her at her fathers funeral last night and her son mario, Mario is not from Waterford but would have spent his summers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The most annoying Waterford saying by far is "do you know that kind of way", Jesus its thrown into almost every sentence and after a while it doesnt even make any sense to what you are saying. "I went here, do you know that kind of way, I met your man, do you know that kind of way".

Shut up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

The most annoying Waterford saying by far is "do you know that kind of way", Jesus its thrown into almost every sentence and after a while it doesnt even make any sense to what you are saying. "I went here, do you know that kind of way, I met your man, do you know that kind of way".

Shut up!

31 years of Waterford and iv never heard that said.....ever.:confused:

Shut up!

Ha ha ha, I know a few who say that, I've been guilty of it myself, but not in a non-sensical way like your example, dya know that kinda way? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Shut up!

Whadda ya taaaalkin about, eh?

Can't say I've heard it said much.

I'm sick of hearing like thrown in after every like second word like. It can like get so like annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭da6xsi

The waterford accent really isnt that bad

The dublin accent is hideous no matter what part your from

Could be even worse and sound like a langer all the time too

i think out of all the larger counties waterford has the most bareable accent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

S28382 wrote: »

Wow, you must be in the really posh part of Waterford and have never left the house your life ha ha. Practically everyone I know from Waterford sprinkle "do ya know that kind of way" into all their sentences and it seems to be the Waterford exclamation mark, to emphasise a point. "Theres nothing left in the town do you know that kinda way". I found myself even copying it a few times but am always annoyed when I do.

Im not sure is this a Waterford or a general Irish saying but did anyone ever say when they are annoyed/suprised "Ah, go way outta it" or "Ah will you ever go away out of it!". I hear that and say that a lot, but is it unique to the Waterfordians?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

therealme wrote: »
    Really dislike the Waterford accent :eek:

Have only heard Beat and I honestly don't no HOW op can say they speak with D4 accents...you clearly have not heard them!!:confused:

I live in West Waterford and its grand but find people from Waterford city almost impossible to understand. And their sayings :rolleyes:

And if they are talking to each other its just a babble. Cant understand them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

S28382 wrote: »

Are you serious?? You must not be a Waterford person so!!! If you head out to Lisdugan Shopping centre and stand around you will hear it.

Wow, you must be in the really posh part of Waterford and have never left the house your life ha ha. Practically everyone I know from Waterford sprinkle "do ya know that kind of way" into all their sentences and it seems to be the Waterford exclamation mark, to emphasise a point. "Theres nothing left in the town do you know that kinda way". I found myself even copying it a few times but am always annoyed when I do.

Im not sure is this a Waterford or a general Irish saying but did anyone ever say when they are annoyed/suprised "Ah, go way outta it" or "Ah will you ever go away out of it!". I hear that and say that a lot, but is it unique to the Waterfordians?

I know people from Clonmel and Wexford Town who say 'Go'way' and 'Go away out of it'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

Who's he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

There is nothing wrong with our accent its what people are saying that is of concern..when i went to school everybody called there mother mam nowadays its all mum and mom!..and we wore runners not trainers or sneakers..i was in tesco ardkeen before and i actually overheard someone say that they needed to stop at the gas station on the way home...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

Shut up!

My hairdresser uses it at the end of EVERY sentence. A girl at work uses it a lot too. Terrified I'll pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Shut up!

never heard that boi, keep on wandering, out over the bridge for you, I loves me county :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I live in West Waterford and its grand but find people from Waterford city almost impossible to understand. And their sayings :rolleyes:

And if they are talking to each other its just a babble. Cant understand them at all.

Don't worry yerself, the city people think the same about the county accent, actually they find it hilarious :) As soon as you cross the city line at Kilmeaden, they all sound like yer man off the dunbelievables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

MetalMan9 wrote: »
    Who's he?

Tony Kelly local lad good actor to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

da6xsi wrote: »
    The waterford accent really isnt that bad

The dublin accent is hideous no matter what part your from

Could be even worse and sound like a langer all the time too

i think out of all the larger counties waterford has the most bareable accent

C'mere la we talk normal in Cark biy.:pac:

What are you on about it's all the one county and the Waterford City accent is grand.The Deise Dictionary on the old Mad Blaa site was hilarious.When you clicked the word of your choosing a sound bite of a working class Waterford accent calls out the word.The phrases any odds butty and i was in the gizhoolies always crack me up.:pac: I love the working class Waterford City accent it kind of sounds like a distorted version of the Dublin accent.

Advertisement