Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Accent

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

quare wans to each other "d'ya know wad i meen gurl " with a slightly nasal twang to it
    or to a gentleman "d'ya know whadd i meen boi"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Wow, you must be in the really posh part of Waterford and have never left the house your life ha ha. Practically everyone I know from Waterford sprinkle "do ya know that kind of way" into all their sentences and it seems to be the Waterford exclamation mark, to emphasise a point. "Theres nothing left in the town do you know that kinda way". I found myself even copying it a few times but am always annoyed when I do.

i must be posh too, because its a new one on me. Will keep ears open and hopefully hear it next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Motivator

There is nothing wrong with our accent its what people are saying that is of concern..when i went to school everybody called there mother mam nowadays its all mum and mom!..and we wore runners not trainers or sneakers..i was in tesco ardkeen before and i actually overheard someone say that they needed to stop at the gas station on the way home...:eek:

Have a walk around ardkeen stores some afternoon if you want to hear some Americanisms.

Motivator wrote: »
    Have a walk around ardkeen stores some afternoon if you want to hear some Americanisms.

americanisms are pathetic yeah but i dont think there is anywhere on the english speaking planet outside of Ireland where R is pronounced oar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Max Powers wrote: »
    americanisms are pathetic yeah but i dont think there is anywhere on the english speaking planet outside of Ireland where R is pronounced oar
    It is the jackeens and assorted boggers trying to sound as sophisticated as us Waterforders with our uvular 'r'. :) We pronounce it 'ur' due to the Norman French influence.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

RTE newsreaders generally use correct pronunciations. I thought the way they said RTE sounded ridiculous until I realised that that's the way the English say it - it's more of an R sound (ahhrr) rather than "or".

MetalMan9 wrote: »
    RTE newsreaders generally use correct pronunciations. I thought the way they said RTE sounded ridiculous until I realised that that's the way the English say it - it's more of an R sound (ahhrr) rather than "or".

when you think of the alphabet, we all learned q - r - s -t-u-v not
    q-oar-s-t... Its only happened in the last few years, i dont think they say oar on BBC as i have often heard the pronunciation of Garda Siochana on BBC, they mightnt siochana perfect but Garda usually fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I'm not quite sure what you mean.
    The Waterford accent I'm familiar with is nothing like the D4 accent. Its quite rough.

Well boi, howzit goin. etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

RTE newsreaders generally use correct pronunciations.
    That godawful fake Deefer mangling of the English language is not a pronounciation. It is an attack on the language by a bunch of social climbers who want to be taken as being from some rabbit hutch in Ballsbridge rather than some village in the back of beyond.
    I thought the way they said RTE sounded ridiculous until I realised that that's the way the English say it - it's more of an R sound (ahhrr) rather than "or".
    The received pronounciation 'r' on BBC tends to be far more clipped than the half dragged out attempt at a pirate's 'aarr' commonly heard on RTE. And the funny thing is that there is more than one pronounciation of 'r' in England.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

I don't mean 2FM or AA Roadwatch - Meant people like Anne Doyle, Sharon Ni Bheolan, Dobbo, etc. And I wasn't referring to regional accents in the UK. If we're debating the length now, I'll leave it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I don't mean 2FM or AA Roadwatch - Meant people like Anne Doyle, Sharon Ni Bheolan, Dobbo, etc. And I wasn't referring to regional accents in the UK. If we're debating the length now, I'll leave it.

Sharon- easily one of the most irritating voices I have ever heard, she sounds like someone who needs to clear her throat, all the time. I wouldnt mind that if she were a good news reader but she is woeful, always stuttering over words, turning her head this way and that instead of just clearly reading out the words, shes very hard to follow. Obviously her mediocre looks got her far because she isnt talented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Sharon- easily one of the most irritating voices I have ever heard, she sounds like someone who needs to clear her throat, all the time. I wouldnt mind that if she were a good news reader but she is woeful, always stuttering over words, turning her head this way and that instead of just clearly reading out the words, shes very hard to follow. Obviously her mediocre looks got her far because she isnt talented.

You would though wouldn't ya?

Advertisement