Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optician options ?

Options
  • 08-08-2013 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Herself is experiencing regular headaches of late and the chemist recommended getting an eye check. Whats the story with getting that done, would it be included in our backpacker insurance or will we have to pay the $75. Any help would be grateful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

tonydude wrote: »
    Herself is experiencing regular headaches of late and the chemist recommended getting an eye check. Whats the story with getting that done, would it be included in our backpacker insurance or will we have to pay the $75. Any help would be grateful

It's not even included in most Australian health insurance policies (its an extra) so I think I can safely say a backpacker policy won't cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Its usually not included in health insurance policies because its generally bulk billed i.e paid by Medicare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Eye test is covered by medicare
    Glasses covered by health fund

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

I agree that travel insurance will not cover it.

It might be worth buying some health insurance extras cover (http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/), but it may be more expensive if you don't have PR. I need to go to optician for similar reasons, when we checked with the employer, they have a corporate package, which let us start at the 4 year level of cover, so no waiting periods. I will get about 250$ towards glasses, paid 500$ for the policy(bupa corporate) - but i will use general dental , major dental, physio, so that will make it cost effective for me. Worth considering if you might need other services. Some of the the insurance companies offer no waiting periods at the minute and this one offers 6 weeks free :http://www.hif.com.au/health-insurance/information/special-offers.aspx.

Advertisement