Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with corrupted BIOS

Options
  • 08-08-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭

Morning all

Have a bit of a problem with one of my laptops. In order to try to fix a graphics problem, I went into the BIOS settings on the laptop and enabled onboard graphics, which apparently isnt the thing to do on my model of laptop. I had previously installed a BIOS mod to allow switchable graphics to increase gaming performance. When I enabled the onboard graphics in the BIOS and rebooted, I am just getting a blank screen - from researching this on Google, it seems that the BIOS is completely bricked. Have tried a crisis recovery mode that the manufacturers suggest, with no success.

I was just wondering what to do next - I was thinking that maybe if i replace the BIOS chip, it would fix the problem. Or is there more to fixing a corrupted system BIOS than simply replacing the chip?

Hardware details are:

Acer Aspire 7750g
    Intel i5 2430M Processor
    AMD Radeon 6650m Graphics card.

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated. Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Just flicked through this thread, apparently, some folks got their bricked Aspire 7750G back running by changing the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd check and make sure the Bios chip isn't soldered in. If it is, its either new mobo or a SPI programmer(assuming you have a SPI port).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Torqay wrote: »
    Just flicked through this thread, apparently, some folks got their bricked Aspire 7750G back running by changing the CPU.

Yeah I've read all those threads, thanks for that though. Might give that a shot. Some pain in the ass :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Tried clearing the CMOS memory?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Tried clearing the CMOS memory?

Yeah tried that, and tried a BIOS crisis repair procedure listed by the manufacturer, no luck. Gonna have to either replace the BIOS chip or replace the entire motherboard I reckon. Some dose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

have you tried uisng a external monitor on laptop

Rambo wrote: »
    have you tried uisng a external monitor on laptop

I havent, thats a good suggestion, thanks, but it doesnt boot properly - its on a continuous power cycle. The power light comes on, nothing on screen, and then the power light flashes. Comes back on, flashes. Repeat ad-infinitum.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Yeah tried that, and tried a BIOS crisis repair procedure listed by the manufacturer, no luck. Gonna have to either replace the BIOS chip or replace the entire motherboard I reckon. Some dose.
    What did you do for this? Remove the battery, change the switch...?

=-=

First step, remove laptop battery and unplug power cable from laptop
    Second step, remove cover and ram(s) from the(ir) slot
    Third step, this can be solved in 2 ways, either short the 2 pins as showned in the picturebelow or remove bios battery and hold down power button on laptop for 10-15 seconds(power discharge), this will set date to 2009 and load default settings.
    7730.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

New monitor/screen might be needed or clock battery changed. Is bios corrupted badly? Clean any dust near processor too. Make sure motherboard is ok. Wipping things off might ne necessary once you not getting blue screen of death youve too much on or overloaded memory used up. It does to much at a time or badly installed software.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

doovdela wrote: »
    New monitor/screen might be needed or clock battery changed. Is bios corrupted badly? Clean any dust near processor too. Make sure motherboard is ok. Wipping things off might ne necessary once you not getting blue screen of death youve too much on or overloaded memory used up. It does to much at a time or badly installed software.

I think you missed some parts of the script.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I had previously installed a BIOS mod to allow switchable graphics to increase gaming performance. When I enabled the onboard graphics in the BIOS and rebooted, I am just getting a blank screen - from researching this on Google, it seems that the BIOS is completely bricked.
    Do you know what the default setting is for the BIOS mod? If it's on, well, yer fecked, but if it's off, removing the BIOS battery, and also both DIMMs (removing just the BIOS battery doesn't always make it forget everything), as well as the battery and the power leads and finally pressing the "on" button 3 times, has limited success for a range of problems.

=-=

Another way seems to to use the automated CRISIS mode CD. Seems if you do it right, it reads from the CD, does something (updates BIOS?), reboots, and you have a working laptop again. Seems this case doesn't always work, but if it does, you're sucking diesel :)

the_syco wrote: »
    Do you know what the default setting is for the BIOS mod? If it's on, well, yer fecked, but if it's off, removing the BIOS battery, and also both DIMMs (removing just the BIOS battery doesn't always make it forget everything), as well as the battery and the power leads and finally pressing the "on" button 3 times, has limited success for a range of problems.
    as
    =-=

Another way seems to to use the automated CRISIS mode CD. Seems if you do it right, it reads from the CD, does something (updates BIOS?), reboots, and you have a working laptop again. Seems this case doesn't always work, but if it does, you're sucking diesel :)

Thanks for the ideas - I'll try the RAM removal as well as the CMOS battery, cheers. Tried the Crisis recovery thing with both a USB stick and a CD and neither work, unfortunately. But thanks :)

Advertisement