Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrick overrun with Stag & Hen parties

Options
  • 08-08-2013 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else getting slightly peeved at the amount of stag & hen parties around Carrick at the weekends. It used to be fine when there were only a few around but over the last few years certain business men around the town have taken it to a whole new level much to the detriment of the town's residents. Anyone else any thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭murrak123

Is anyone else getting slightly peeved at the amount of stag & hen parties around Carrick at the weekends. It used to be fine when there were only a few around but over the last few years certain business men around the town have taken it to a whole new level much to the detriment of the town's residents. Anyone else any thoughts on the matter?

Don't really see a major prob .... They general only frequent a few pubs in the town ..... And they are keeping people in work as well. I think carrick would be a very dead town at the weekends without them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Not saying to get rid of them completely but saying that its getting out of hand, I know of numerous people who won't come into town on Saturday nights now because of them. A bit of long term thinking required - sure the stags/hens are great while they last but eventually they'll move onto the next hip destination leaving Carrick behind.

Carrick wouldn't be that dead at weekends without them - it was always busy on weekend nights for years /(I can remember back 20 years) before we became a stag/hen hotspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,560 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not saying to get rid of them completely but saying that its getting out of hand, I know of numerous people who won't come into town on Saturday nights now because of them. A bit of long term thinking required - sure the stags/hens are great while they last but eventually they'll move onto the next hip destination leaving Carrick behind.

Carrick wouldn't be that dead at weekends without them - it was always busy on weekend nights for years /(I can remember back 20 years) before we became a stag/hen hotspot.
    The last 3-5 years have seen towns, like Carrick, decimated due to unemployment, immigration, and many other factors.
    The generation that has historically spent money socially in these kinds of places are no longer around or if they are the drinking culture has changed so much that they don't go to the pubs as much.
    So while it may have been busy 20 years ago (as were many small towns) an awful lot has changed since.

I'd be happy that there are still large groups of people spending money in the town and keeping people in jobs/a bit of atmosphere around the place.

As for "long term thinking" - not sure what you mean here, keep the hens and stags coming or ban them altogether?
    A lot of towns like carrick would kill for the business.

kippy wrote: »
    The last 3-5 years have seen towns, like Carrick, decimated due to unemployment, immigration, and many other factors.
    The generation that has historically spent money socially in these kinds of places are no longer around or if they are the drinking culture has changed so much that they don't go to the pubs as much.
    So while it may have been busy 20 years ago (as were many small towns) an awful lot has changed since.

I'd be happy that there are still large groups of people spending money in the town and keeping people in jobs/a bit of atmosphere around the place.

As for "long term thinking" - not sure what you mean here, keep the hens and stags coming or ban them altogether?
    A lot of towns like carrick would kill for the business.

Yes I am well aware of what has happened in the last 3-5 years and how the drinking culture has changed iover the last decade. Carrick is still pretty busy on Sunday nights when most stags and hens have departed so there are obviously still some of this generation who still go out in Carrick at wknds.

Long Term thinking meaning when eventually the stags and hens move onto a different town (as these things go in cycles) the pubs, restauraunts, hotels and B & Bs have not driven their local customers away. This has already been the case with a lot of foreign fishermen who used to come year in year out no longer visiting Carrick.

As indicated in my previous post

"Not saying to get rid of them completely"

• Advertisement

Yes I am well aware of what has happened in the last 3-5 years and how the drinking culture has changed iover the last decade. Carrick is still pretty busy on Sunday nights when most stags and hens have departed so there are obviously still some of this generation who still go out in Carrick at wknds.

Long Term thinking meaning when eventually the stags and hens move onto a different town (as these things go in cycles) the pubs, restauraunts, hotels and B & Bs have not driven their local customers away. This has already been the case with a lot of foreign fishermen who used to come year in year out no longer visiting Carrick.
    The foreign fishermen were obviously cyclical as well.......
    Not sure why you'd equate the lack of them around with the presense of hens and stags to be honest, the things could be totally seperate.

I'd ask you how many local business' pub's restaurants and nightclubs for starters have closed over the past 5 years, then ask you to think about how many more might have closed without the hens and stags?

The reality is many towns like carrick all across the country are now ghost towns and will be for a long long time.
    As far as stags and hens go, I cannot see carrick lose that business any time soon.

I and indeed many here, could list of many towns and small towns that are all but dead for the past few years.

As indicated in my previous post

"Not saying to get rid of them completely"

Then I've no idea how to manage that to be honest.....

Then I've no idea how to manage that to be honest.....

Not sure what this means or refers to - I was just answering your question.

The foreign fishermen were obviously cyclical as well.......
    Not sure why you'd equate the lack of them around with the presense of hens and stags to be honest, the things could be totally seperate.

I'd ask you how many local business' pub's restaurants and nightclubs for starters have closed over the past 5 years, then ask you to think about how many more might have closed without the hens and stags?

The reality is many towns like carrick all across the country are now ghost towns and will be for a long long time.
    As far as stags and hens go, I cannot see carrick lose that business any time soon.

I and indeed many here, could list of many towns and small towns that are all but dead for the past few years.

If foreign fishermen were cyclical it was a long cycle (i.e 30 years) which by coincidence ended around the time stag and hen parties started off.

Westport was the major destination for Stags and Hens for years - couldn't see it losing that business anytime but it did - its cyclical - Carrick will lose it one day too.

As regards other towns being ghost towns and killing for the business. I don't disagree in essence. However your point seems to be that because it provides jobs anything goes and it doesn't natter what effect it has on the local population/towns standard of living (I could have taken this up wrong).

My point is that there is a happy medium and over the last year it seems to have swung in favour towards stags/hens much to the annoyance of numerous people who live in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If foreign fishermen were cyclical it was a long cycle (i.e 30 years) which by coincidence ended around the time stag and hen parties started off.
    On top of the general tourist stuff about prices and value for money, the fishing isn't as good as it was here, there's no longer a close season in England on most stillwaters and canals, and there's loads of "commercial" fisheries over there too if they want to "bag up". I really doubt the stags and hens is much of an issue tbh for people coming to fish one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

re foreign fishermen,
    they are being seen less in County Cavan too, and theres no invasion of stags there.

I was on a stag this time last summer in Carrick and found it to be good.
    But it was also good for Carrick.

The accomodation was though a local guy who organised it (probably actually owned the place).
    We had a few pints and a feed in a random pub on the Saturday afternoon who benefited to the tune of 100s of euros more than if we hadnt been there.
    The local shop sold drinks and snacks and whatnot, so more cash to them too.
    We went on a boat trip and beers were had so the operators of the boat made a bit of cash and the staff kept in jobs. Oh and a mini bus to ferry us about wasnt a charity. So more money again and more folks kept in a living.
    We went to the few noisy pubs that stags/ hens seem to gravitate towards and then a club afterwards. Again, more cash in multiple pockets, not just a local business man. But on the other hand the smaller quieter places were left well alone so nobody was put out by us.
    And afterwards the chipper got a few euros.
    The next morning I had to leave early to get to Croke Park so money ended up in the pockets of the petrol station for my breakfast on the way to the train station who also made money from me. The others went to a pub later for breakfast and spent more cash there.

So how many businesses benefited from that one stag?
    I have counted at least 13 (including the extremely heavily subsidised Railway which in all rights should be closed, but at least folks like me coming for stags boost passenger numbers a little bit).

Fair enough, the stags are a right racket but theres a real benefit for a whole range of businesses across the town that keeps people in jobs, if only part time weekend jobs for some of them.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    On top of the general tourist stuff about prices and value for money, the fishing isn't as good as it was here, there's no longer a close season in England on most stillwaters and canals, and there's loads of "commercial" fisheries over there too if they want to "bag up". I really doubt the stags and hens is much of an issue tbh for people coming to fish one way or another.

Cheers thanks for info - maybe fishermen were a red herring :).

General point around local residents still stands tho.

re foreign fishermen,
    they are being seen less in County Cavan too, and theres no invasion of stags there.

I was on a stag this time last summer in Carrick and found it to be good.
    But it was also good for Carrick.

The accomodation was though a local guy who organised it (probably actually owned the place).
    We had a few pints and a feed in a random pub on the Saturday afternoon who benefited to the tune of 100s of euros more than if we hadnt been there.
    The local shop sold drinks and snacks and whatnot, so more cash to them too.
    We went on a boat trip and beers were had so the operators of the boat made a bit of cash and the staff kept in jobs. Oh and a mini bus to ferry us about wasnt a charity. So more money again and more folks kept in a living.
    We went to the few noisy pubs that stags/ hens seem to gravitate towards and then a club afterwards. Again, more cash in multiple pockets, not just a local business man. But on the other hand the smaller quieter places were left well alone so nobody was put out by us.
    And afterwards the chipper got a few euros.
    The next morning I had to leave early to get to Croke Park so money ended up in the pockets of the petrol station for my breakfast on the way to the train station who also made money from me. The others went to a pub later for breakfast and spent more cash there.

So how many businesses benefited from that one stag?
    I have counted at least 13 (including the extremely heavily subsidised Railway which in all rights should be closed, but at least folks like me coming for stags boost passenger numbers a little bit).

Fair enough, the stags are a right racket but theres a real benefit for a whole range of businesses across the town that keeps people in jobs, if only part time weekend jobs for some of them.

Don't disagree with any of this. I'm not saying get rid of stags and hens. My point, which everyone seems to be missing, is that here is a happy medium (which is how it was for the last few years) but recently (due to a couple of local businessmen ramping it up) it has become more of a nuisance for local residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭murrak123

The only reason carrick is currently busy on a Sunday night at the minute is due to students being off. Come the second week of September you will have not a whole lot knocking around.

murrak123 wrote: »
    The only reason carrick is currently busy on a Sunday night at the minute is due to students being off. Come the second week of September you will have not a whole lot knocking around.

Very true. The point I was trying to illustrate was that people still go out despite the recession in the last 3-5 years and changes in drinking patterns.

Westport was the major destination for Stags and Hens for years - couldn't see it losing that business anytime but it did - its cyclical - Carrick will lose it one day too.

As regards other towns being ghost towns and killing for the business. I don't disagree in essence. However your point seems to be that because it provides jobs anything goes and it doesn't natter what effect it has on the local population/towns standard of living (I could have taken this up wrong).

My point is that there is a happy medium and over the last year it seems to have swung in favour towards stags/hens much to the annoyance of numerous people who live in the town.

You've not been in Westport lately.
    Probably more popular than Carrick for hens and stags, although maybe not as noticable as there are plenty "general" tourists as well as locals around the place.

My point is, the locals that you think are in the wood work, but not coming out aren't. Just look at almost any other town in the country to see that. Places closing all over the shop. The drinking cultire, immigration and less money to spend have seen to all that.
    My point is, its better have a steady business from hens and stags (as well as whatever else is around) than not. They often bring a lot of life to another wise quiet place.

Very true. The point I was trying to illustrate was that people still go out despite the recession in the last 3-5 years and changes in drinking patterns.

Agreed, but nowhere near in the numbers that they did or indeed spending the same money that they did......
    You only have to see the amount of pubs and restaurants closing all over the place to illustrate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

I've never been to Carrick before but I've heard from people who have been there for stags or hens and they had a great time. It was all positive.

wrmwit wrote: »
    I've never been to Carrick before but I've heard from people who have been there for stags or hens and they had a great time. It was all positive.

have no doubt they had a great time but that's not what we're debating here.

Not sure what this means or refers to - I was just answering your question.

I've no idea how one could cut down on the amount of stags and hens to a limit that suits you, particularly in a co-ordinated manner.
    Those that are against the hens and stags are probably of an older ilk, who don't actually go out that much any more anyway (like myself to a point), but who cannot see the detrimental effects of loosing such business in the current climate.

• Advertisement

You've not been in Westport lately.
    Probably more popular than Carrick for hens and stags, although maybe not as noticable as there are plenty "general" tourists as well as locals around the place.

My point is, the locals that you think are in the wood work, but not coming out aren't. Just look at almost any other town in the country to see that. Places closing all over the shop. The drinking cultire, immigration and less money to spend have seen to all that.
    My point is, its better have a steady business from hens and stags (as well as whatever else is around) than not. They often bring a lot of life to another wise quiet place.

So in essance you are saying is that because it provides jobs anything goes and it doesn't matter what effect it has on the local population/towns standard of living (I could have taken this up wrong - is this correct?).

What I am saying is that I am not against stags and hens but when it gets to the level where it is affecting local residents quality of life there needs to be rebalancing (what is so unreasonable about this?)

I've no idea how one could cut down on the amount of stags and hens to a limit that suits you, particularly in a co-ordinated manner.
    Those that are against the hens and stags are probably of an older ilk, who don't actually go out that much any more anyway (like myself to a point), but who cannot see the detrimental effects of loosing such business in the current climate.

That was the thrust of my general post. The reply above was give to a specific question you asked namely

"As for "long term thinking" - not sure what you mean here, keep the hens and stags coming or ban them altogether?"

My answer was "I am not saying to get rid of them completely".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

My girlfriend is from carrick and won't go out on a friday or saturday night because of stag/hen parties, a lot of her friends feel the same. Goes out on a Sunday instead which is seen as a locals night, and it's far from a ghost town. It does be plenty busy on a sunday night when the stag/hens are gone.

That was the thrust of my general post. The reply above was give to a specific question you asked namely

"As for "long term thinking" - not sure what you mean here, keep the hens and stags coming or ban them altogether?"

My answer was "I am not saying to get rid of them completely".

There's no coherent method of doing what you want to do tbh......

So in essance you are saying is that because it provides jobs anything goes and it doesn't matter what effect it has on the local population/towns standard of living (I could have taken this up wrong - is this correct?).

What I am saying is that I am not against stags and hens but when it gets to the level where it is affecting local residents quality of life there needs to be rebalancing (what is so unreasonable about this?)

Of course it matters, however the alternative point is that surely if it is having an adverse effect on locals' quality of life, who is to blame? In my opinion it's a policing issue.

I thought your original point was about trying to ensure that when the cyclical hens and stags are gone, what would the town do? (Ie they should plan now for when they are gone)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Don't disagree with any of this. I'm not saying get rid of stags and hens. My point, which everyone seems to be missing, is that here is a happy medium (which is how it was for the last few years) but recently (due to a couple of local businessmen ramping it up) it has become more of a nuisance for local residents.
    ok, i sort of mis-interpreted it that you felt the local businessmen were doing well and almost the sole beneficiaries of the whole thing.

Maybe as I was only there one weekend I cant say if folks are better or worse behaved other times, but I found everything to be remarkably civilised.
    As in, I was honestly expecting bedlam but I have never met such a large bunch of people in Ireland very merry but no problems or aggro anywhere.

As a matter of interest, from those in or from Carrick, how many local business' (pubs, clubs and restaurants) have closed over the past 5 years?

There's no coherent method of doing what you want to do tbh......

Don't disagree with that but I started the thread to see was anyone else getting p*ssed off with the number of stag/hen parties. What to do about it is a whole different conversation.

As a matter of interest, from those in or from Carrick, how many local business' (pubs, clubs and restaurants) have closed over the past 5 years?

2/3 pubs gone
    1 nite club re-opened then closed
    restaurants not sure

• Advertisement

Of course it matters, however the alternative point is that surely if it is having an adverse effect on locals' quality of life, who is to blame? In my opinion it's a policing issue.

I thought your original point was about trying to ensure that when the cyclical hens and stags are gone, what would the town do? (Ie they should plan now for when they are gone)

That wasn't my original point. My opening post was:

"Is anyone else getting slightly peeved at the amount of stag & hen parties around Carrick at the weekends. It used to be fine when there were only a few around but over the last few years certain business men around the town have taken it to a whole new level much to the detriment of the town's residents."

i was basically trYing to see if anyone else is getting peeved with the increase in stag/hen parties over the last year or so in comparison to what it was like before. This thread has veered off on tangents since but this was my question.

I didn't say ban stags and hens and I didn't say the business was bad for the town.

Advertisement