Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary walls

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

It's the gardai who won't get involved in civil matters - this is actually the Co Council's domain. They do in fact have planning inspectors - I'd be calling them and telling them that my neighbour is building an extension that's encroaching on and overhanging my property without agreement and I might mention that it looks bigger than 40m^2...

These would be the same Planning Inspectors who signed off on projects like Priory Hall. Yea Right.

The overhang is a Civil matter, of no interest to Co Council
    The lack of Building Reg's is not a matter for the Council,it's the responsibility of the home owner to ensure work complies with the Reg's
    and from the Photo, it's a LOT less than 40SqM,
    so
    Of no interest to any Local Authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Uriel. wrote: »
    it would seem that even to do that I would actually have to get my neighbour's permission to do "tamper" with their newly built roof/wall to accommodate work on my side. This permission may not be forthcoming.

It would seem to me that the neighbour didn't want to lose any potential space (width) in their extension and in doing so appear to be aiming to screw me over. :(
    Tell him he doesn't have permission to
    a) access to your garden to plaster the wall
    b) have any overhang over your half of the boundary wall

OP, tell him to halt all works.As for not causing a fuss, it seems he thinks you're his b|tch, and he'll ride you sideways if he wants :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You should ask politely, for the plans of the new extension,
    Show em to a builder ,or post pics here.
    TO make sure that the roof, building is not too heavy to rest on your
    wall ,
    and see is there any foundations being installed on the other sides,and rear of the building.
    IS there hollow ,or solid blocks being used ?
    hollow blocks are much lighter.
    Are the walls gonna be painted on your side.
    check your deeds,
    re boundary,info
    i have seen a house the boundary rear garden,fence was actually 2ft outside the legal boundary.
    the neighbours knew this ,it was two gardens ,
    so they left fence as it was built.
    eg joes garden was 2ft x 15ft larger on 1 side.
    since there was no building going on ,no one was bothered by it.
    eg garden was 2ft larger on one side then the legal boundary.
    ie the deeds do not always correspond with the fence ,wall
    in the back garden.
    in some case,s.

JUST say i want to make sure its safe ,with no excessive overhang.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

martinn123 wrote: »
    These would be the same Planning Inspectors who signed off on projects like Priory Hall. Yea Right.
    They never inspected the place because they aren't there to sign off whether a building is to code. They changed that years ago to be done by a surveyor hired by the builder. That is what happened with priory hall but it possible that the surveyor was duped. I have heard of reinforcements being shown to a surveyor and when he leaves it being removed before the concrete went in.

90 per cent of apartments ,were never inspected ,
    THE council would look at the plans ,and presume the building was built up to spec ,
    OF course alot of fireproofing ,sound proofing was not installed properly ,and did not always follow the architects plans precisely .
    THE best apartments built in the last 10 years are the ones built in ballymun social housing.
    They are built to a high spec ,re sound and energy effeciency ,security ,etc much better than the average private apartment

MAYBE in the boom ,they simply had not enough staff to inspect all the new buildings.

I presume there will be a water gutter , 1 or 2 drainage pipes underneath the roof,on your side,
    which may overhang your property by a few inchs.
    I,M presuming the roof is not flat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

OP did you have any joy with your neighbour?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

martinn123 wrote: »
    The overhang is a Civil matter, of no interest to Co Council

So people can build what they like, where they like, and the council are not interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

spockety wrote: »
    OP did you have any joy with your neighbour?

Good afternoon,

Yes I spoke to the neighbours on Saturday. And Expressed my grievances. They claim to not have been aware of the overhang plans etc... I take everything with a pinch of salt to be honest, but I have no real reason not to believe them. Anyway, the builder is on hols now until Wednesday, so they said they'd arrange a sit down before the work recommences (with me, them, builder (will also have my construction friend there)).

So we'll have to see how that goes. They know my unhappiness at the situation and it was made clear to them at the very minimum that there'd be no overhang permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Uriel. wrote: »
    Good afternoon,

Yes I spoke to the neighbours on Saturday. And Expressed my grievances. They claim to not have been aware of the overhang plans etc... I take everything with a pinch of salt to be honest, but I have no real reason not to believe them. Anyway, the builder is on hols now until Wednesday, so they said they'd arrange a sit down before the work recommences (with me, them, builder (will also have my construction friend there)).

So we'll have to see how that goes. They know my unhappiness at the situation and it was made clear to them at the very minimum that there'd be no overhang permitted.
    they have still builth on the boundary what was the reply to that ? there will be overhang still.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

they have still builth on the boundary what was the reply to that ? there will be overhang still.

To be fair, the neighbour has agreed to sit down with the OP and the builder before the work goes any further and talk it out so I'd be inclined to take them at their word (for now!) and see what the outcome is.

It's very possible the builder is telling both sides different stories after all. I'd wait and see what they have to say for themselves.

End of the day it's in both sides interest to keep the lines of communication open and reasonable/friendly which so far at least seems to be the case.

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    To be fair, the neighbour has agreed to sit down with the OP and the builder before the work goes any further and talk it out so I'd be inclined to take them at their word (for now!) and see what the outcome is.

It's very possible the builder is telling both sides different stories after all. I'd wait and see what they have to say for themselves.

End of the day it's in both sides interest to keep the lines of communication open and reasonable/friendly which so far at least seems to be the case.

aggreed. i think the OP should ask if the foundatios were checked in all likelyhood the foundations wont be sufficient for extention. The OP should insist that this be checked independantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Any update OP?

THE BUILDER may not have told them, or may think,
    a few inches overhang,
    so what ,what difference does it make.?TO anyone.
    depending on what drainage system,
    gutters ,they use, the type angle of the roof,those factors
    WILL effect the overhang,
    ie will they need to install pipes,or gutters on your side of the extension.
    if so they will be reponsible for the maintenance of those fittings,
    over the next 10 years ,onwards.
    IE roof could be designed, at a slope, angle,
    to minimise the need for pipes ,or gutters on the wall that faces or overhangs, your garden.
    eg to allow most of the water on the roof, to drain into ,gutters,pipes, at the rear of the
    extension,

If there is large, 9 inch, solid blocks being used ,on the walls that are beside
    your garden,resting on the boundary wall,
    I,D BE concerned that the foundations are strong enough to support them,
    plus the weight of a heavy slate roof.
    eg as opposed to lighter woodframe type wall , or hollow block walls .
    is this an extension with a first floor ,and stairs in it?
    HOW high is it,?
    if they put gutters ,or pipes ,on your side ,
    of the extension,
    THEY should be of the highest quality fittings,,
    to minimise future maintenance issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 theequaliser

Just a little titbit from my own experience--if you have any problems regarding a boundary issue, please go to your solicitor asap, it will be the best money you will spend---everyone else will give you the 'mushroom treatment' and forget about the local authority as they're only interested in collecting money.

Another titbit is, that the council will be hoping to see Priory Hall demolished so that all its 'secrets' can disappear also.

The local authority will only target private residential extensions who are easy prey and always obey, thereby making the local authority look good.

How did it all turn out ? Is the neighbour under the patio!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Sorry all for not being back for awhile. It was for a reason.
    Unfortunately, things haven't progressed well.

For various reasons I can't go into too much detail at the moment, so firstly my apologies. But to give you the gist of developments.

Amicable discussion had around the time of my last post. Agreed a way forward. Shortly after a fuller discussion was had with all parties (including builder) present. Agreement on how best to proceed was made with, IMO compromise, balanced more on my part. Agreement was to be formalised. I had to go away for two weeks.

On my return, agreed way forward was completely shredded and significant work completed which was expressly barred. :mad:

So now the matter has to be escalated and communication has broken down.

I can't really say much more than that now. May have said too much already :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Such a shame. And you were being so reasonable. Time for solicitor I guess.

i think it was always going to break down sorry to say. The neighbour was playing dumb and hopeing youd roll over . Its disappointing that he choose to proceed and renaige on your aggreement.I assume you now have a solicitor on board and wish you the best of luck. One thing I would say is make sure u have the solicitor costs nailed down from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Bstard basically. Take him to the damn cleaners

Advertisement