Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crate for labrador?

• 08-08-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I have a ten week old male lab and want to start crate training asap. I looked at jebb tools but the xxl they recommend for a lab (and even the xl) are out of stock until late next week (which would probably mean early the week after that). Would the xxxl be ok if I partition it properly or would it be too big? If I go with that I'd have it tomorrow and could get going with the crate training.
    They have one locally in maxizoo but for about €130 vs the €75 on jebbtools.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have the XL for my retriever pup and it's prefect for her but too small for my 4 year old adult retriever. I have the XXXL too from when he was on crate rest and it's HUGE - I wanted extra space so he could move around easily etc. If space isn't an issue then go for the XXXL or if you want to save space go for the smaller one and you could upgrade in a year or so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

I got my crate from Amazon and it's very good quality and was cheaper than Jebb Tools at the time I got it. I got the medium but would this one suit OP? I know though that you probably wouldn't get it until next Tuesday so that might be too late for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The XXXL is *humongous* but if space isn't an issue, your lab would love it when he's fully grown. I have my greyhound in one and she can stretch right out at night. :)

I could sit in the XXXL one and the dog beside me - with space to spare lol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Crap, maybe the xxxl is too big then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

robocode wrote: »
    Crap, maybe the xxxl is too big then!

Where are you???

Few on done deal... Handy money too!

Search 'dog crate'

I checked donedeal and adverts but no suitable ones within a reasonable distance

I'll upload a pic of the XL one with pup inside later this evening if you want to get an idea?

Thanks but no need. The xl looks great but won't be back in stock in time and I want to get him started asap. I'll try petmania on the way home from work. If I have to pay more to get going straight away I figure it'll be worth it long-term. Thanks for the kind offer though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

If you have the space I would get the bigger one from jebb. Once he is housetrained it can't be too big!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I have a ten week old male lab and want to start crate training asap. I looked at jebb tools but the xxl they recommend for a lab (and even the xl) are out of stock until late next week (which would probably mean early the week after that). Would the xxxl be ok if I partition it properly or would it be too big? If I go with that I'd have it tomorrow and could get going with the crate training.
    They have one locally in maxizoo but for about €130 vs the €75 on jebbtools.

Whereabouts are you located OP ?

Thanks everyone but wanted to get him used to a crate straight away (jebb could end up being another 10 days) so picked one up in petmania on the way home from work yesterday. Once I set it up he walked straight into it and lay down which was great! Had his first night in it and didn't wake me until 5am so it seems to be working great! Fingers crossed this keeps up!

Just wanted to follow up on this by saying the crate is the business! Not even a week in it and last night he slept through from 11 till 7! Then I got him up and straight out to do what needed to be done. Such a relief to get a good nights sleep! I'm sure every night won't be like this but it's a great sign!

Thanks green_bow but I picked up a crate locally in the end.

Just wanted to follow up on this by saying the crate is the business! Not even a week in it and last night he slept through from 11 till 7! Then I got him up and straight out to do what needed to be done. Such a relief to get a good nights sleep! I'm sure every night won't be like this but it's a great sign!

You'll find it invaluable (if like us) you go travelling with your pet, camping, need it for rest after an operation or just somewhere to put your dog for a short period if you've a job to do or guest (non dog lover) to welcome in...

I'd be lost without our crates. We've a fabric version for camping, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Hooked wrote: »
    You'll find it invaluable (if like us) you go travelling with your pet, camping, need it for rest after an operation or just somewhere to put your dog for a short period if you've a job to do or guest (non dog lover) to welcome in...

I'd be lost without our crates. We've a fabric version for camping, etc...

I second this. I'd be lost without the crate. we also have a fabric version for car, when visiting family etc .. .

Just another question on this. The pup is coming up on 3 months old and the last two nights he has slept soundly in the crate for about 7 hours. He's brought outside before he goes in the crate and then once he gets restless in the morning I take him out and he does his business pretty quickly. On one hand I'm delighted to be getting a full nights sleep but on the other I'm worried that he's holding it too long. Some people online say at that age I should be waking up every 2-3 hours regardless and bringing him out. The first few nights in the crate we did this because he would wake us clearing want to go but now he's sleeping soundly until the morning I don't know what to do.

Just another question on this. The pup is coming up on 3 months old and the last two nights he has slept soundly in the crate for about 7 hours. He's brought outside before he goes in the crate and then once he gets restless in the morning I take him out and he does his business pretty quickly. On one hand I'm delighted to be getting a full nights sleep but on the other I'm worried that he's holding it too long. Some people online say at that age I should be waking up every 2-3 hours regardless and bringing him out. The first few nights in the crate we did this because he would wake us clearing want to go but now he's sleeping soundly until the morning I don't know what to do.

Our guy was holding it thru the night at about 16-17 weeks. If I were you, I'd be up once during the night for another month BUT then you say he's holding it already??? I'm no expert, so lets see what others think... Delighted the crate is working out for you both.

My pup is 3 months tomorrow and has slept thru a good few nights especially if she doesn't drink anything before bed. Some nights she's really thirsty so I don't think it's fair to not let her drink. She goes straight back asleep anyways and only wakes up once so not too bad.
    We've had no accidents during the day the last 3 days! :)

Same here tk123, sometimes he decides to wait until bedtime before drinking loads of water. I know some people say 'no water 2 hours before bed' but I don't think it's fair. I let him drink as much as he wants and if that means me waking up during the night then so be it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement