Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Hurling Final 2013 - Clare Vs Cork (Megathread)

• 08-08-2013 12:36pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was around town yesterday and noticed more and more flags being flown, it seems with the Under 21s going great guns (back to back Munster titles) and with the Seniors in a very winnable Semi Final next week there seems to be a bit of a buzz around.

I'm a bit biased/blinkered as a Clare GAA fanatic and tend to go to matches no matter what, just wondering what the general consensus is around the place, any one else excited/looking forward/couldn't care less?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Definitely great times for Clare hurling. Underage we are very strong and have a good nucleus for the next 5 or 6 years already at senior level.

Limerick might be a step too far for these guys as they are bigger players and have a better manager along with winning Munster they are on a roll.

Not sure if our game plan at senior level is good enough or positive enough for this bunch of players. I prefer the style that the U21's play which is more direct and less "coached".

Davy is a strategist, a deep thinker of the game who at times complicates things. I spoke to him a year ago (in a pub after the Limerick league 1b final win) before the Kilkenny game and he said "you don't go toe to toe with Kilkenny".

Actually this is just what Galway did and Dublin did and got alot of change out of a creaking Kilkenny side.

I think if Clare go out 15 against 15 they are a force to be reckoned with, a sweeper system might work on the likes of an undisciplined Galway side with one main scoring option but against Limerick who have threats throughout the side we need to hurl and get them thinking about our set up rather than the other way around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There is a huge gulf in difference between Under 21 and Senior, Limerick showed this a few years back with their 3 in a row team.

Clare's "style" of taking on a man to create an overlap and to play the ball in low to the forwards to run onto certainly does have it's benefits, but if teams do like Cork did and play their own game and keep the half back line in place then we can be in trouble, saying that, losing Conlon against Cork was a big blow as he's there to bring a lot of physicality to the forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

They've done exceptionally well so far. I'm not a Gaa nerd so I won't speculate as to their chances next week but I'm certainly more excited about Clare hurling than I've been in ages. We've got a set of players who'll give us plenty to get amped up about for the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

There are people going to this Semi Final who haven't gone to a game for years. Great to see. Loads of kids going too for their first trip to Croke Park. The €5 tickets are a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Car flag up
    House flag hanging
    Tickets got
    Happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Clareman wrote: »
    There is a huge gulf in difference between Under 21 and Senior, Limerick showed this a few years back with their 3 in a row team.

Clare's "style" of taking on a man to create an overlap and to play the ball in low to the forwards to run onto certainly does have it's benefits, but if teams do like Cork did and play their own game and keep the half back line in place then we can be in trouble, saying that, losing Conlon against Cork was a big blow as he's there to bring a lot of physicality to the forwards.

Yeah but how many senior teams would live with Clare 21's last Wednesday or against Kilkenny last year in the final?

That "Limerick u-21" argument has become a cliche now. The reason that Limerick didn't push on was due to player discipline and poor management. Joe McKenna anyone?.

The Clare u21 management team is vastly superior to the senior one I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

buck65 wrote: »
    Yeah but how many senior teams would live with Clare 21's last Wednesday or against Kilkenny last year in the final?

I would say quite a lot, the difference in physicality means that Clare wouldn't be breaking tackles and thus making the space as easily, combine this with more experienced hurlers at senior level as well as more tactical games and less time on the ball at senior level means that there is a massive difference.

I would say that Under 21 level games can be far more entertaining to watch and skillful that a lot of senior games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I was around town yesterday and noticed more and more flags being flown, it seems with the Under 21s going great guns (back to back Munster titles) and with the Seniors in a very winnable Semi Final next week there seems to be a bit of a buzz around.

I'm a bit biased/blinkered as a Clare GAA fanatic and tend to go to matches no matter what, just wondering what the general consensus is around the place, any one else excited/looking forward/couldn't care less?

Havent been to a game in a good few years but i would always follow their progress over the year. Should be a great game against Limerick, cant wait for it!! Nice to see a steady stream of lads coming along the last couple of years and them seem to be a tight knit bunch.

Just wondering if there are many Clare people going to this game?
    It seems that most of Limerick are going

I'd imagine it'll be at least 2-1 in favour of Limerick supporters, not only are they in the minor as well but the buzz around them after winning Munster is huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

certainly looking forward to Sunday but I've only been to two Clare matches in 2013 (Waterford Crystal, NHL and championship) so I'm not going to go around proclaiming myself as a die-hard

if they win I'll be delighted, if not I'll be disappointed but I still think it's been a good year for Clare in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Going to the match as well,very excited altogether..Great to have such a run of a games going between the 21s and all..And in the u21 final you could see the benefits of Davy's system,it just needs to click more in the senior side.. Think this game is wide open despite a lot of talk of it being a lock for Limerick.. Here's hoping for a dry sod and no silly red cards from the referee

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Oh I'll be there!

We are the underdogs for sure but that's the way to handle it! They are Munster champions so should be beating us ;)

I do believe the extra games may well stand for us, they've not had a competitive match in 7 weeks so may well be a little rusty, or least lets hope so :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Oh I'll be there!

We are the underdogs for sure but that's the way to handle it! They are Munster champions so should be beating us ;)

I do believe the extra games may well stand for us, they've not had a competitive match in 7 weeks so may well be a little rusty, or least lets hope so :P

I think its 5 weeks. We have a great chance of winning and we are getting better. Really confident for this now, gonna be a wonderful atmosphere, see ye all there. Up the Banner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Is there a match on?:D:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Is there a match on?:D:P
    "I'm so excited and I just can't hide it" ....................... :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Starts in litterly a few minutes, best of luck to the lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

There is a good match thread over in the GAA forum for anyone who is interested

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057010392&page=16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

I'm one disappointed Limerick fan.

Well done Clare, the Banner showed great composure, skill and coolness on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I miss the banner bodhrans. They were great.
    The banner bangers were great too... It should be done again- just make sure tax, nct and insurance up to date.

Up the banner.

• Advertisement

I miss the banner bodhrans. They were great.
    The banner bangers were great too... It should be done again- just make sure tax, nct and insurance up to date.

Up the banner.

I'm pretty sure they where on the old ones.;)

I'd be fairly sure the bodhráns will be back in September
    And the old bangers might qualify as vintage now? Meaning no NCT and cheap road tax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Disappointed with the Clare turnout yesterday although those of us who did travel tried our hardest to roar them on to victory. No doubt people who didn't bother travelling to any matches this season will be out in droves now looking for all Ireland final tickets. ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

Disappointed with the Clare turnout yesterday although those of us who did travel tried our hardest to roar them on to victory. No doubt people who didn't bother travelling to any matches this season will be out in droves now looking for all Ireland final tickets. ..

we sure will:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

'twas poorest turnout I'd seen. Only traffic was from limerick. A real pity too.
    And buying flags now. My local shops are nearly sold out and they had tonnes of them up to Ben Saturday.

We went by Galway there was a young fella with a Clare flag waving it on the side of the road between Gort and Loughrea I'd say he was a happy kid last night
    Lovely to see hasn't been around for a long time, god love him he wasn't even born in '95 made our journey a bit brighter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I was a fair weather fan in 1995 and I'm a fair weather fan now. Go Isotopes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It was a great day. Train booked for the final. From Limerick. €50.

I was a fair weather fan in 1995 and I'm a fair weather fan now. Go Isotopes!

'topes rule!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Fair play to the group of lads unfurling the giant jersey in the Hill,they never stopped singing and roaring..Great impromptu rally in the bowels of Croker after too

Advertisement