Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Hurling Final 2013 - Clare Vs Cork (Megathread)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Worztron wrote: »
    It seems the ref allowed optimum extra time for Clare to equalise. What's the deal with the phantom extra half minute?

Over a minute was taken up by Cork taking sideline balls during extra time alone, the amount of extra time being played is just an indicator and not a "hard stop", it also needs to take into account stoppages during the injury time as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The screen was very poor quality - it had the resolution of an old Nokia phone. You couldn't make out the score or time, you couldn't see the HD in the RTE Two HD logo, and worst of all you could only see the sliothar when the camera was on individual players, every shot/goal could only be seen by the ripple of the net or the raising of a flag. Sure, for commentary and say live video of a concert it'd be grand but for hurling it was really, really poor.

The atmosphere was great; the last few minutes the place was like a library it was so quiet and when the equaliser went over ye celebrated like ye'd won :D Security were grand, lots and lots of kids and families about and a lovely day over all. Best of luck in the replay, though I'll not be in Ennis for it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Took Literally forever to get home yesterday. Ten to 1 I hit my bed in west clare. We had to park at the stadium for my dad so that was nearly 2hours.

Unbelieveable is all I have to say. If I had one, my pacemaker would need new batteries.

My aussie wife is not used to finals- AFL grand finals are too expensive- you select your team. she is used to rugby international games where if you loose, its dissappointing. In the last few years, since she moved to ireland has been attending matches with me and she was so buzzed. She is still ranting about it.

My nephew and students are all buzzed.

Proud of clare...always

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

For anyone who is interested, Clare FM have podcasts of Syl's All Ireland commentary on their website.

They also have an interview with Davy, John Cooke interviewed him this morning for his Morning Focus programme.

http://www.clare.fm/music/Sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

I came back from Oz for this game and am so happy I did. What a day!! My dad is from Kilkenny and I'm used to going to finals with him. I'm glad I got my day out after the last few years! I'm delighted with these young lads that are here. The skill and passion in them is unbelievable. I am so happy and proud to be from Clare. The way they came back after every goal showed some amount of courage. Many other teams would just throw in the towel. It's a huge testament to Davy and all the lads that have been putting in great work at underage over the last 5 years or so. We have a great hurling future ahead of us.
    Unfortunately I won't be here for the replay but ill celebrate in style in Melbourne :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I just got a facebook page pointing out that Clare supporters looked outnumbered on the TV for the match, I would say it was 50/50, maybe even a slightly larger Clare crowd, but because of all the different colours Clare supporters were wearing it didn't look as good on TV.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wear-the-Colours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Clareman wrote: »
    I just got a facebook page pointing out that Clare supporters looked outnumbered on the TV for the match, I would say it was 50/50, maybe even a slightly larger Clare crowd, but because of all the different colours Clare supporters were wearing it didn't look as good on TV.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wear-the-Colours

Link broken?

No way clare man. We were seriously outnumbered. I was in Quinns and only 5 corkonians... Thinking to myself we would out number 2:1. In the stadium... I felt 'twas a sea of red.

Maybe it could be that most cork fans were wearing red and we had every variation of gear. (I for 1 was wearing A white clare tee shirt but face painted) but I do think we were outnumbered.

Any millionaire out there wiling to sponsor the little clare flags similar to the ones they out at Munster games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I was in the Big Tree and totally out numbered. My aunt was at the match and also said we were out numbered and was wondering about the ticket allocation.

Can't wait for the replay. Such an amazing game :)

• Advertisement

Tis my 30th the tuesday before the replay. So hotel room booked for the Saturday and going to stay above- avoid the mental traffic on the way down.

We came home the Galway road and were in Gort in 3 hours. Only small bit of traffic in gort and loughrea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Too late to be coming home. Hotel booked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i'm not a GAA man so forgive for asking but.....isn't playing under floodlights going to have a major factor on this game??..will the slitor not be impossible to see with the floodlights glare?? or are modern day hurlers use to it??

They train under flood lights on a regular basis due to work commitments. But I stil wouldn't be a fan of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Is there extra time or a replay if its a draw?

Extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

philstar wrote: »
    i'm not a GAA man so forgive for asking but.....isn't playing under floodlights going to have a major factor on this game??..will the slitor not be impossible to see with the floodlights glare?? or are modern day hurlers use to it??
    The U 21 final was under lights last year. It was a 7pm throw in. The Clare lads are used to it anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

No way clare man. We were seriously outnumbered. I was in Quinns and only 5 corkonians... Thinking to myself we would out number 2:1. In the stadium... I felt 'twas a sea of red.

Maybe it could be that most cork fans were wearing red and we had every variation of gear. (I for 1 was wearing A white clare tee shirt but face painted) but I do think we were outnumbered.

Any millionaire out there wiling to sponsor the little clare flags similar to the ones they out at Munster games.

I think the variation of Clare gear colours is easily drowned out by red. I wore a navy long sleeved o'Neills Clare top over my yellow jersey at the match because I was cold. I'm definitely going head to toe yellow if I (hopefully) get a ticket for the replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I think the variation of Clare gear colours is easily drowned out by red. I wore a navy long sleeved o'Neills Clare top over my yellow jersey at the match because I was cold. I'm definitely going head to toe yellow if I (hopefully) get a ticket for the replay.

I'm the same was wearing my club gear which is navy and yellow
    Won't be making that mistake again!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

relaxed wrote: »
    Is there extra time or a replay if its a draw?
    Extra time.

and if its still even steven what then?? penalities??

> has there ever been a penalty shoot out in a gaa match before??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

would never have the same appeal as soccer one aganst 3 just dose'nt have the same ring to it.

no the gaa just keep going with replay after replay until the players are burned out and the fans flat broke!!

they use it in football here in clare though for lesser compitions at the start of the season!!

It goes to another replay. Technically extra time at the end of a match is a new game as well, so if a team has a player sent off during the normal game they can bring on a sub in their place, teams also have more subs to bring on.

As mentioned, some pre-season competitions or competitions that have to finish by a certain time, will have some kind of "Skills Competition" to decide the winner, but that wouldn't be in place for national competitions.

I have a premium hurling ticket for swap only for a football premium ticket. Any interest?

Mods I also have this post in the GAA forum too. If im not allowed to double post can you delete and apologies.

Olympic Gold medalist, World Champion and world record holder at 800m David Rudisha in a clare jersey

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/pic-yes-thats-david-rudisha-in-a-clare-gaa-jersey-with-his-olympic-gold-medal/

272256.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Not so much of a buzz around town, hopefull it will pick up.
    Hopefully getting my ticket in the morning.

babygirlz wrote: »
    Not so much of a buzz around town, hopefull it will pick up.
    Hopefully getting my ticket in the morning.

didnt think the tickets would be released until the weekend or the middle of next week? but yeah very little buzz anywhere at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

didnt think the tickets would be released until the weekend or the middle of next week? but yeah very little buzz anywhere at the moment!!

Well the person getting my tickets just text me the section and row so he must have them, unless the players get them earlier, his brother plays on the team.

babygirlz wrote: »
    Well the person getting my tickets just text me the section and row so he must have them, unless the players get them earlier, his brother plays on the team.

ya they would have first preference to tickets the rest will start floating around the place later next week,

if his brother happens to be from the same town as yourself tell him i hope he gets a run the next day ..... we could do with a goalscorer ;););)

• Advertisement

The first people to get the tickets are the county boards, they'll look after their own people first (this included players), then the tickets are given to the clubs who look after their members. AFAIK the county boards got their tickets yesterday for distribution by this weekend, because the game is on a Saturday and there is less "structured" distribution cause of the fact it's a replay there'll be more tickets available earlier.

Advertisement