Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs

• 08-08-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I was just wondering from people living in England, is it a good place for jobs at the moment?, I am a recent graduate struggling to get my foot on the career ladder.

I was thinking mainly London but would consider up North if job prospects are good, what do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You've provided next to info about yourself. What's your field?

I'm guessing your not an IT graduate. In terms of jobs, broadly speaking there are more but there's also more competition.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getsome

I'm a recent graduate in business management, areas that interest me are the financial industry or work in sales business development.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I have a job so I'm going to say that the UK is an excellent place to live. If you want to move up north, I'd say Manchester is your best bet as it's essentially the UK's second city. A lot of businesses have their HQs there. There's also Birmingham, Liverpool, Edinburgh and Glasgow. If I had to pick one, I'd probably go for Liverpool. It's my favorite UK city so far.
    If you decide to move over, make sure you've a job arranged first. You'll also need a float to pay for a month's rent and a deposit. A lot of places will insist on proof of employment as well. If you've family, that can make things easier. I got my first job through a recruitment agency while I was still at home.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

But Birmingham is the second city.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

forget construction the market is flooded like ireland was ,so the wages are not great:mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Hootanany wrote: »
    But Birmingham is the second city.

It's not. The Brummies say it is but it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Back on topic, please.

Thanks,
    Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getsome

I have a job so I'm going to say that the UK is an excellent place to live. If you want to move up north, I'd say Manchester is your best bet as it's essentially the UK's second city. A lot of businesses have their HQs there. There's also Birmingham, Liverpool, Edinburgh and Glasgow. If I had to pick one, I'd probably go for Liverpool. It's my favorite UK city so far.
    If you decide to move over, make sure you've a job arranged first. You'll also need a float to pay for a month's rent and a deposit. A lot of places will insist on proof of employment as well. If you've family, that can make things easier. I got my first job through a recruitment agency while I was still at home.

Thanks, can you remember what recruitment agency you were using, or are most them fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Hi,

Currently living in manchester. There is work here but you really have to graft for it. As has been said before the construction industry is cut throat att he moment but if you are a hard worker you would get work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement