Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sofa Covers Using Bed Sheets

• 08-08-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place! :o

We moved into rented accommodation and while the house wasn't in immaculate condition, there was definitely room for someone like myself with a bit of creative flair to make it wonderful. We're here for 5 years but don't want to buy our own furniture just yet. The couch and armchairs, while lovely, are slightly stained and faded. I hate regular throws, they never stay on the chair properly, and the fitted ones are so expensive!

So I was wondering would anyone have any experience with using mattress sheets to make your own fitted covers? I was thinking of buying a king size and two singles, and pretty much doing a tuck and sew job (I did a test run with a double sheet and it looked great, but was just too small) and buying cheap cushions to go over it. All I'm worried about is that the idea is great in my head, and a disaster to bring to life :D

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've never done it but it sounds like a great idea. I'm not too handy with a needle and thread but if it works for you, I'll give it a go myself! We have throws on the sofa and armchair too but they move and look untidy as soon as you sit on them, such a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

miamee wrote: »
    I've never done it but it sounds like a great idea. I'm not too handy with a needle and thread but if it works for you, I'll give it a go myself! We have throws on the sofa and armchair too but they move and look untidy as soon as you sit on them, such a pain.

Penneys does a King Size sheet in pretty much any colour for about a tenner. I think if I can get it to fit and look normal (with the aid of cushions) it'll be a great step up from paying €100 for a fitted one! I'll post a pic next week if I manage to get it to work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Homestore & more do fitted covers from 30euros upwards depending on your size of couch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

I think this is a great idea, sure what can go wrong (kibosh alert!). What about large curtains from a charity shop? I've considered this myself, my aunt made cushion covers for her sofa this way, she didn't even sew them, just wrapped them, they are those big square ones so she made a parcel of them and they look great. Best of luck, sounds like a great idea and costs so little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

coathanger wrote: »
    Homestore & more do fitted covers from 30euros upwards depending on your size of couch...

Do you know what department they keep those in? I've never seen them, and can't see them online. I'd probably be going to the Fonthill store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I think this is a great idea, sure what can go wrong (kibosh alert!). What about large curtains from a charity shop? I've considered this myself, my aunt made cushion covers for her sofa this way, she didn't even sew them, just wrapped them, they are those big square ones so she made a parcel of them and they look great. Best of luck, sounds like a great idea and costs so little.

Charity stores are few and far between around here, there's only two within 20 miles and neither stock textiles, mostly baby stuff and books. Depending on the finances Friday, I'll give it a go. Once I don't cut them they won't go to waste anyway, we have double and single beds here (but I'm really hoping it will work so I can be super boastful :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dotspot

Sheets will be fine in the short term but not very strong. I would recommend buying a few throws in Penneys/Heatons or somewhere like that. You will find they will probably work out cheaper and they will be much stronger also. Otherwise a pair of curtains in IKEA.

Advertisement