Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Notice: Regional Bicycle Share Scheme – Public Display

Options
  • 08-08-2013 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭

Public notice on Galway City Council's Website
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/080813_01.html

Might be of Interest to business owner's in Galway City. Great way of boosting business by having a docking station near by. (Long term bike rental shops less so)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Is this similar to the scheme in Dublin? Looks like a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Fey! wrote: »
    Is this similar to the scheme in Dublin? Looks like a great idea.
    Yes it is similar to the Dublin Scheme.

More information from the NTA website:
    http://www.nationaltransport.ie/projects-schemes/transport-projects/public-bikes-schemes-in-regional-cities/

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

why can't these images be available online? Great idea i hope it works out.

topcat77 wrote: »
    Agree - would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The thinking with a lot of things seems to be that if one actually give a crap, then one will visit city hall.

Besides they probably can't afford the file hosting costs.

• Advertisement

i'd think the more people that get to see the proposal the more chance it has of being a success. I'd call it advertising the idea! get it into the public domain. it almost sounds like they are avoiding feed back when they do it this way, just enough to follow guidelines

I'll go in myself at lunch for a quick look tomorrow.

most people ain't as lucky and don't work close enough for the office hours viewing Monday - Friday 9 till 4. Oh they will have the one day that they can view during the informal information session on the Thursday! 5 till 8

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

When is it planned to be up and running does anyone know.

Thinking of buying a bike but won't bother if this will be up and running soon.

When is it planned to be up and running does anyone know.

Thinking of buying a bike but won't bother if this will be up and running soon.

Buy the bike - probably be another year(minimum) before this see's the light of day in the city. The NUIG scheme "SPIN" look's more promising in being rolled out this year, but dont believe it will be open to the general public to start with.
    See the following link:
    http://cyclingindublin.com/2013/08/06/galway-universitys-bike-share-scheme-may-be-opened-to-public/comment-page-1/

From the NUIG J.E Cairnes School of Business and Economics facebook page:
    "
    The scheme, titled ‘Spin’, is to be trialled “in the coming weeks” with the aim of starting it at the start of the new academic year in September.
    "

Buy the bike - probably be another year(minimum) before this see's the light of day in the city. The NUIG scheme "SPIN" look's more promising in being rolled out this year, but dont believe it will be open to the general public to start with.
    See the following link:
    http://cyclingindublin.com/2013/08/06/galway-universitys-bike-share-scheme-may-be-opened-to-public/comment-page-1/

I'd qualify for the SPIN scheme but why is it so expensive? 30 euro for 24 hours?

• Advertisement

I'd qualify for the SPIN scheme but why is it so expensive? 30 euro for 24 hours?

Because they don't want you to use it for 24 hours. Same as the Dublin Scheme - which is far more expensive if you took a bike for 24hours
    http://www.dublinbikes.ie/Subscription/Pricing-Structure/Pricing-structure

Because they don't want you to use it for 24 hours. Same as the Dublin Scheme - which is far more expensive if you took a bike for 24hours
    http://www.dublinbikes.ie/Subscription/Pricing-Structure/Pricing-structure

Ah I see, so unless there's a docking station at where you want to go (which is unlikely given the limited off-campus docks in this scheme) then it's functionally useless to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

i'd think the more people that get to see the proposal the more chance it has of being a success. I'd call it advertising the idea! get it into the public domain. it almost sounds like they are avoiding feed back when they do it this way, just enough to follow guidelines

I'll go in myself at lunch for a quick look tomorrow.

most people ain't as lucky and don't work close enough for the office hours viewing Monday - Friday 9 till 4. Oh they will have the one day that they can view during the informal information session on the Thursday! 5 till 8

Has your cellphone got a camera?

I'll see what i can do.

had a look at lunch :( had to ask to see the plans as they weren't on public display. What i was given was an A1 size map of the proposed locations and 3x A4 picture of how bike racks would look in various locations. No locations outside the city (As in salthilll) and no info regarding pricing and due/proposed schedule dates. A joke!!!!!

Advertisement