Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratchbikes coming to NUIG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

Article from the guardian website.

Campus bike hire: from university to market and back again
    http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/blog/2013/jul/19/university-enterprise-bike-hire-scheme?INTCMP=SRCH

I walked past the racks and workers putting up the signs today. It has a URL on it for registration but I didn't take it down, I'll take a good picture later on my way past and post it here this evening :)

EDIT: found the link http://www.grandscheme.co.uk/galway/Home
    It costs €10.00 per year to register with Spin. Your membership will renew automatically at the end of each 12 month period. Once your a member the following hire tariff applies:

Up to 30 mins = FREE
    0.5 to 1 hour = €0.50
    1 to 2 hours = €1.50
    2 to 3 hours = €3.50
    3 to 4 hours = €6.50
    Over 4 hours = €2.00 / 0.5 hrs

The credit/debit card you registered with will be charged on the 1st day of each month.

Kinda pricey :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Also observed this. Upon interrogation, it was revealed there are 45 bikes.

As for the pricing structure - the purpose is to use the bikes for short trips. The longer you have it the more it costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I know its probably only a see how it goes for now kinda thing but 45 bikes doesnt seem alot! Also I have very little faith that messers are gonna stear clear of them..but I suppose thats very pessimistic!

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I know its probably only a see how it goes for now kinda thing but 45 bikes doesnt seem alot! Also I have very little faith that messers are gonna stear clear of them..but I suppose thats very pessimistic!

Nah I agree with you. They'll be vandalized/stolen no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Eogclouder wrote: »

Kinda pricey :(

I dont think they are meant for any more than nipping around campus or home and back when you dont have the time to walk.

At least that's what I'll be using them for. Especially now that biochemistry dept are largely moving to the far end of the north campus and the shuttle bus doesn't start up for another couple weeks.

• Advertisement

far end of the north campus

Ha its like on the edge of the world compared to where the north part of campus is!

Got an email last night actually that says there is only 40 bikes and 8 places
    SPIN Stations (with purple-painted racks) are now established at 8 locations on campus;
    · O’Shaughnessy Bridge,
    · Quadrangle,
    · Orbsen Building,
    · James Hardiman Library,
    · Sports Centre,
    · Engineering,
    · Corrib Village and
    · The Park and Ride.

so..5 bikes in each location? that is not alot at all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Just seen someone using one!

Strange that this news come from a UK newspaper and not on campus information.

I took a look at the bikes and how they work.

Key in your 10 digit ID number.
    A key draw should open with a key for the D lock.
    30 mins free isn't too bad considering you could probably cycle to Barna in 30 mins.

I don't think that there will be anywhere near enough bikes though and they'll spend so much time/money moving them around it would be easier to just transport people in the trailers of the golf buggies.

• Advertisement

I tried the bikes for the first time while I had to pass through the campus to go to work.
    • You hold the green button until the LED lights come on.
    • You press in your 10 digit code (this is 6 digits they give you, followed by your own set 4 digit pin). the buttons require a fair amount of pressure to register, if you get a key-press right, an LED that's orange in the corner will turn off for a second, acknowledging the input.
    • The "drawer" is actually a metal cylinder, that confused me a little bit. once your code is accepted, about 4 seconds pass and it clicks and pops out, you use it to unlock the bike then you pop it all the way back in, you cant remove it again until you're locking the bike.
    • I put the lock back on the crossbar which was bad, it rattled and got it the way, put it elsewhere!
    • The basket is huge and durable, you could fit a full schoolbag in it no problem.
    • The seats adjustable and comfortable.
    • There are 3 gear settings.
    • Returning the bike is as easy as getting it.
    • They text you once you rent it and when you return it, they tell you how long you had it and how much it costs. I got an email too.

Overall I was impressed, they're handy as ****! My only worry is the number of bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Here is the registration link:
    http://www.grandscheme.co.uk/galway/

I was trying to think how to "break" this system.
    Could you put something else into the key return? sure but they know that you were the last to take the bike and your card is registered, they'll probably just charge you for the whole bike.

I tried the bikes for the first time while I had to pass through the campus to go to work.
    • You hold the green button until the LED lights come on.
    • You press in your 10 digit code (this is 6 digits they give you, followed by your own set 4 digit pin). the buttons require a fair amount of pressure to register, if you get a key-press right, an LED that's orange in the corner will turn off for a second, acknowledging the input.
    • The "drawer" is actually a metal cylinder, that confused me a little bit. once your code is accepted, about 4 seconds pass and it clicks and pops out, you use it to unlock the bike then you pop it all the way back in, you cant remove it again until you're locking the bike.
    • I put the lock back on the crossbar which was bad, it rattled and got it the way, put it elsewhere!
    • The basket is huge and durable, you could fit a full schoolbag in it no problem.
    • The seats adjustable and comfortable.
    • There are 3 gear settings.
    • Returning the bike is as easy as getting it.
    • They text you once you rent it and when you return it, they tell you how long you had it and how much it costs. I got an email too.

Overall I was impressed, they're handy as ****! My only worry is the number of bikes.

I was trying to think how to "break" this system.
    Could you put something else into the key return? sure but they know that you were the last to take the bike and your card is registered, they'll probably just charge you for the whole bike.

Not only that but they text you telling you what specific bike you took. My text said "You've used bike number 15". And they have GPS chips in the boxes apparently.

Also, the bike isnt "returned" until it's been locked to a rack and then the key returned. So you'd just get charged indefinitely or for the bike like you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suil Eile

Will it be possible to take these for a spin off campus, or will the wheels lock at a certain point like some supermarket trolleys?

Suil Eile wrote: »
    Will it be possible to take these for a spin off campus, or will the wheels lock at a certain point like some supermarket trolleys?

They're regular bikes you can take anywhere you want for as long as you want, you just have to pay for any time above 30 minutes. earlier in the thread I think I posted the prices. I assume if you lost it/got stolen, you'd be charged for the damage though. They have GPS chips, they know what bike you have and have your credit-card/details so there's no reason for them to lock them on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Murph93

I like this system, it is handy overall but I hear they're looking at this as a guinea pig to bring it to Galway City, which will make it a lot handier. At the moment you're only really looking at getting from one end of the campus to the other or nipping home to grab something. Will be handier heading home for awhile.e if you could lock up in town

I would really get on board this idea if they put a rack outside the new brb building,would really make my life a lot cushier if and when the move happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

I think this may be an ideal time for me to learn how to ride a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Has anybody managed to register in the last few days?

I'm unable to; there doesn't seem to be a input field in which to enter a credit card number on the registration/payment page.

All the bikes are always all ****ing gone, there just arent enough.

All the bikes are always all ****ing gone, there just arent enough.

That's positive in terms of usage; should be easy for colleage to scale up the scheme.
    From the http://www.su.nuigalway.ie/ says only 40 SPIN bike's are available? Probably need a few hundred for a campus; maybe it will get people to get bike's themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Whenever I pass the one near the Quadrangle, there's usually a bike there. I've never seen more than one though.

Oh dear..bike scheme halted for the time being..looks like they wern't making any money :/

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Oh dear..bike scheme halted for the time being..looks like they wern't making any money :/

Wait, have the bikes been taken off campus?

No idea, My colleague got an email about it this morning..was wondering if the people who registered got one too cause he didn't exactly say much and now he's gone so I cant ask him! Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Here's what I received (I'm not sure if it's in my capacity as staff or having registered):

"Unfortunately Grand Scheme Bike Share Ltd filed for liquidation on Friday.

The bikes are off hire until the University finds a temporary arrangement or a permanent re-arrangement.

We apologise for the short notice but were just informed of developments late on Friday evening."

If its a staff email then for some reason I have been taken off the list :eek: I hope I get paid this month! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement