Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless repeater causing connectivity issues on network

Options
  • 08-08-2013 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone can point out the (probably rookie) mistake I've made setting up a Netgear WN2000RPT wireless repeater. I added this onto my local network to supplement a weak wireless signal from our UPC router in an extension outside the original outside wall of our house. I used the set up web dialogue to use the device to extend our existing network (NetA) into the problem area and all was well and good...wirelessly. What we discovered however was that when I booted up my wired PC the following day and tried to access web pages it started prompting me for the username and password for the new wireless extender (browser opened up the www.mywifiext.net page by default and generated the login dialogue) and I couldn't access any other pages without first logging into the extender.

I suspect what's happened is that the PC has somehow picked up DHCP details (most problematically the gateway) from the Netgear extender rather than the UPC router but I don't get why that would be the case as the PC has no wireless connectivity. Any suggestions as to where I've gone wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

When you first install the new Wireless Router, Did you turn off DHCP ? did you change Channel so both aren't running on the same channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Hrm - I hadn't thought that it would be supplying addresses itself - would the best way to address this (if it is) be to change it to using a different range than the 'main' network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

if the Main Router is on Channel 11, and you Bridge Wifi is on 11 that could cause problems in lost packets if the 2 channels overlap.

but having 1 on 11 and the other on 9, the band width can overlap without causing lost packets.

The Main Router is the only router that should be giving out IP Address, Your Bridge Router should be getting a pool of IP Address and passing them onto devices connected to that router.

otherwise this can cause a hell of a lot of problems if both are giving out IP Address the though of having 2 Computers with the same ip 192.168.1.12 over a Wireless network on the same domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Honestly I had assumed as the device is marketed as a wireless repeater that it's default settings for this purpose would have been appropriate >.< My own fault for assuming I guess. Thanks Cork, I'll check the config when I get home tonight.

Advertisement