Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minimum amount you would work for in a job you hated

• 08-08-2013 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

We will assume that some company has a year long job placement available and you decide to apply for it.

It turns out that the job is something you can do but the conditions aren't great. Co-workers may not be too pleasant, it may be in a country that you don't enjoy living in, the weather and society isn't too great, far away from everything - whatever you want.

Bottom line is that you don't particularly like your job but tip along at it nonetheless.

What is the minimum amount you would work for in a job that you didn't particularly enjoy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

depends on your circumstances, add that you are long term unemployed and you will get reasonably honest responses. As it is i expect you will see a lot of Dr Evils.............1 Miiiiiiiiilllllllliiiioooooonnn dollars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Depends on the job. I had a lot of unpaid work and enjoyed most of them but feel that getting paid for a decent job even if min wage I be happier to do but depends on the job if I feel suited. I applied to jobs suitable and over and under stretched but without sufficient experience and skills beginning to be outdated is making it harder to find a job even the ones I want or don't want even ones that are simple jobs and jobs easier to get into a few years ago.

Civil service office and shop jobs and admin are lot harder to get into more competition and cuts. Go for a job you like but sometimes you have to start somewhere do something you don't like but if you think it won't get you to next step in career ladder then look else where.

Stability and independence is important too but I still wouldn't stick with a job I hate but with the exception if it challenging or boring maybe but if dead end no wouldn't go there. My happiness is more important than a drained mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

They don't pay me enough to work the job I currently hate now, an aversion to starvation and homlessness however ensures that I swallow my bile, pints of it....daily.... *sob*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

How much are you getting paid? If it was minimum wage I'll do my best to get myself fired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I wouldn't work in a job I hated for any amount of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You gotta do, what you gotta do tho, right?

As long as the job paid more than the dole you would keep it up and if you hated it so much you'd be naturally looking for another job at the same time (of course getting another job is the hard part)

It all comes down to money. If the alternatives are less you have to stick it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Stick it out - check jobs.ie for my replacement job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

It would depend entirely on what circumstances I would be leaving behind to take the job. In my current circumstances it would have to be offering pretty spectacular wages to make me move abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

A job's better than no job in current circumstances ain't it ?

Advertisement