Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend cook book for kitchen aid mixer

Options
  • 08-08-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

My family bought me a lovely kitchen aid mixer for my birthday in Febuary. I have hardly used it because I need a good receipe book. (there was none with it, shame)
    I have looked at most on amazon but the reviews are not great for most.
    Can anyone advise???

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I don't understand why you need a cookbook for a mixer? You just use it for whatever you need. Use the beaters when you're making cakes, the whisk for whisking, the dough hook for making any dough... Can you be more specific about what you want a cookbook to provide? It's just a replacement for your hands in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

ok, well that certainly put me in my box. sorry im not such a brilliant cook :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

gubby wrote: »
    ok, well that certainly put me in my box. sorry im not such a brilliant cook :-(

Get over yourself!

I need some help too:
    I just bought a new frying pan. Can someone recommend a cook book to go with it?

It wasn't supposed to 'put you in your box', but it is an odd request and I was trying to establish was your needs are. It's just a tool, like a saucepan or knife or whisk, so I just don't understand why you need a specific cookbook for it.

It also depends heavily on what attachments you've got with it, what level of cooking you're comfortable with, whether you bake or not... If you bake, then just use the mixer to do everything you normally do by hand like beating, whisking, kneading. If you don't bake, then depending on attachments, it's useful for prep. It won't actually cook anything for you, and cookbooks usually concern cooking methods rather than preparation.

What would you like the cookbook to do?

Also, the beer revolu, be nice or don't post on the thread again. It's a valid thread, even if we don't understand the question completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

There are millions of recipes on the internet, tried and tested, with reviews. You don't reeeeally need to rely on a cookbook to kickstart the usage of the mixer, or stop it from going rusty.
    But if you really insist on it and have a few quid to spare, DK's Step-by-Step Baking by Caroline Bretherton is great.
    edit: it doesn't necessarily tell you how to use your mixer, in fact, most of the recipes assume you don't have one. but i just thought it's a great step-by-step book.

By the way, when you send in the warranty card to KA, they will send you their cookbook.

• Advertisement

ok thanks for the comments and just to let ye all know I am not a complete nut job. I dont need a cookbook for a frying pan.. there was no need for that comment.
    Its just this is my first "stand" mixer and as it cost such a lot I expected a cookbook with it. I bought a juiser last year and there was a great book with it. I bough a kenwood mixer for my daughter and she loves to book that came with it. I guess I was surprised there was no book with this. I have checked on Amazon and the reviews are not great for the book advertised for the KitchenAid mixer.
    I am not a major cook and I guess I should just have asked for a recommendation of a good cookbook from all you "experts"
    btw I dont think I need to "get over myself" It wasnt a such an odd question surely. I have found most things come with some sort of instructions/receipies... apart from the frying pan of course.
    be kind!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The reason for my comment was the fact that Faith tried to be helpful with her first reply but only received an overly defensive and ungrateful response.

The beer revolu... I am sure Faith is able to defend her/himself.. and did, without the smart mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

My family bought me a lovely kitchen aid mixer for my birthday in Febuary. I have hardly used it because I need a good receipe book. (there was none with it, shame)
    I have looked at most on amazon but the reviews are not great for most.
    Can anyone advise???

I got a kitchenaid last month and was looking for a few books aswell just for hints a tips on what recipes work best on it so In my opinion it was a fair question to ask and in no way confusing.

Boards is a great site but sometimes you do get smart arses with nothing better to do than try and act the almighty behind a pc.

Anyway, if you have an ipad there is a great free app that has loads of recipes in it especially for the kitchenaid.

I havent ordered any books yet as like you the reviews arent great.

Hope you enjoy the kitchenaid, its a great piece of kit.

Okay, I don't think this thread is going anywhere. Gubby, you still haven't explained what you want from the cookbook, nor whether you want it for cooking or baking, and a KitchenAid doesn't produce anything like a juicer does so I don't see you getting much help from this thread. Instead, I'm going to direct you to our long-standing general cookbook recommendation thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054978683. I hope you find something in there that helps.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement