Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Looking for Smartphone that will act as tablet replacment...

• 08-08-2013 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

I spend a lot of time on the web on my phone.

I'm currently using an iPhone 4s which is great, but the tiny screen is driving me crazy - and not doing my eyesight any good either.

I don't want to go the tablet route and have yet another device to carry around and look after. I want an all in one solution.

The iPhone 5 screen doesn't have the acreage that I'm after. In addition, I'm guessing that with the mini-iPad, Apple are never going to release a phone that has a screen that threatens it in any way.

So, I'm considering these four phones and I'd appreciate any feedback.....

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    HTC One
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Sony Xperia Z

Any thoughts on the above?

Also, if I switch to one of these, will I be able to transfer my contacts from the iPhone?

For what it's worth, I'm with Vodafone.

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Dinarius wrote: »

I'm currently using an iPhone 4s which is great, but the tiny screen is driving me crazy - and not doing my eyesight any good either.

I don't want to go the tablet route and have yet another device to carry around and look after. I want an all in one solution.

The iPhone 5 screen doesn't have the acreage that I'm after. In addition, I'm guessing that with the mini-iPad, Apple are never going to release a phone that has a screen that threatens it in any way.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    HTC One
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Sony Xperia Z

Also, if I switch to one of these, will I be able to transfer my contacts from the iPhone?

Many thanks.

D.
    September 4th, Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
    Plenty of apps and cloud solutions to Transfer contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the reply.

I figured that the Christmas phones would be launching in the next couple of months, so I'll probably wait until then anyway.

Also, it's probably the case that my choice will still be an updated version of one of the four above, rather than something entirely new.

Cheers.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Dinarius wrote: »

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    HTC One
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Sony Xperia Z

Many thanks.

D.

If you're willing to wait, have you considered the cheaper options below?

This is a 5.7 inch phablet priced at €300 available soon
    http://www.expansys.ie/acer-liquid-s1-black-250504/

Acer review here

The 5 inch Wiko Stairway (~€280) and 5.7 inch Wiko Darkside (~€310) (Available mid-late Aug from Amazon.fr) will be priced similarly.

Personally I'm looking at the Stairway or Darkside, but can't decide if the larger screen on the Darkside is too big and heavy for everyday use as a phone.....

Sure you and I have never heard of Wiko but they are big in France. The Wiko Cink Five (5 inch) (wikomobile.com) has great reviews but no Gorilla Glass priced @ €200 here - Think it's about 10 Euro delivered to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

MBSnr,

Cheers!

Yes, I can wait.

Also, under my contract, most of the phones I've listed are either free or cheap, so I'm not too concerned about the cost, just the phone.

Thanks again.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Ah I missed that you didn't want SIM free... must have read that on one of the million other posts about phones ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement