Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedging advice please.

• 08-08-2013 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭

Hi, this year I have spent a lot of time and money on my garden. It is quite large, one of my last jobs to do this year is to plant a hedge along one side. Opposite side of garden I have fushia planted, but want to put something different on this side. Not really bothered if its evergreen or deciduous. Neighbour has evergreen with the pink flowers on his side.
    It's about 70 yards long, as you can see from pic there are trees at far end that we planted when we moved in, I am thinking of removing them as they were planted all along the boundary but a lot got burnt from frost and we took them out. What would you recommend? Something med to fast growing, and obviously nothing that would impose hugely on my good neighbour (willow etc). Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

leylandi would be perfect there and easily manageable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

leylandi would be perfect there and easily manageable

:pac::pac::D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Hi, this year I have spent a lot of time and money on my garden. It is quite large, one of my last jobs to do this year is to plant a hedge along one side. Opposite side of garden I have fushia planted, but want to put something different on this side. Not really bothered if its evergreen or deciduous. Neighbour has evergreen with the pink flowers on his side.
    It's about 70 yards long, as you can see from pic there are trees at far end that we planted when we moved in, I am thinking of removing them as they were planted all along the boundary but a lot got burnt from frost and we took them out. What would you recommend? Something med to fast growing, and obviously nothing that would impose hugely on my good neighbour (willow etc). Thanks.
    Beech or laurel "rotundifolia" are just two that spring to mind.
    The best thing to do is keep an eye open and have a look at other peoples gardens and see what catches your eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cowabunga

Yeah I would say that beech would be the one to go with. Two nice colours in the year and native. Just what comes to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnthonyB

Griselinia is a lovely green evergreen, tough, grows fairly quickly, but you'll have a good bit of hedge clipping to do in years to come. Laurel the same. Beech would be fairly slow growing, would take a while to get in there, but they can be really nice. We have a beech hedge, a griselinia hedge, and also an Olearia macrodonta - this is a really good alternative, and is a dark, dark green - which would contrast very well with the lawn colour. Nice white flowers in mid-summer too, and they bush out nicely. Still some cutting to do, but they shot up in our place (80m hedge!!) and look great. Clip them back after a year once you're absolutely sure no more frost is coming (so mid-late May, I guess) and they'll thrive.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Cowabunga wrote: »
    Yeah I would say that beech would be the one to go with. Two nice colours in the year and native. Just what comes to mind...

Hornbeam......sturdier/hardier and more tolerent than Beech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Beech isn't considered native:

http://www.nativewoodlandtrust.ie/en/learn/irish-trees

but it makes for a lovely luxurient hedge and in my opinion a superior looking hedge too, if maintained properly.

i have a front hedge of green beech and a side hedge of purple, which make a lovely contrast, not only to themselves but to the lawn and the 3 jackmonti birchs i have planted in the front lawn.

I cut mine with a sacutares in mid winter, to just above a bud. Very few people do this laborious task but you end up with a very straight hedge and preserve buds that contain the next years branches and leaves. It then looks like a waterfall of green in spring after budburst.

Planting is best done in winter from november to the end of february. Plants can then be bought bare root, allowing you to better assess their condition. If you buy plants that are called 90.120's (cm) then you can prune back up to a third off the top and have a good reserve in the roots (which can also be trimmed a bit to encourage more bushy rooting.

I am on a very windy, open and exposed site here and hardyness isnt really an issue, not so exposed any more. I did however start the plants behind a low wall which would have given them some protection, lower than the tops of the plants.

Oldtree wrote: »

but it makes for a lovely luxurient hedge and in my opinion a superior looking hedge too, if maintained properly.

i have a front hedge of green beech and a side hedge of purple, which make a lovely contrast, not only to themselves but to the lawn and the 3 jackmonti birchs i have planted in the front lawn.

I cut mine with a sacutares in mid winter, to just above a bud. Very few people do this laborious task but you end up with a very straight hedge and preserve buds that contain the next years branches and leaves. It then looks like a waterfall of green in spring after budburst.

Planting is best done in winter from november to the end of february. Plants can then be bought bare root, allowing you to better assess their condition. If you buy plants that are called 90.120's (cm) then you can prune back up to a third off the top and have a good reserve in the roots (which can also be trimmed a bit to encourage more bushy rooting.

I am on a very windy, open and exposed site here and hardyness isnt really an issue, not so exposed any more. I did however start the plants behind a low wall which would have given them some protection, lower than the tops of the plants.

+1 to the above......you get out of it what you put into it...as in effort and time to prune.:)

You get away with planting bareroots up to the end of March.

Sure we planted ours very last day of April/very beginning of May and they are all flying...didnt loose a single one.

Ground/Soil type and ground/soil preperation is very important for a good healthy hedge to grow.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Thanks guys for the suggestions, really appreciate all.
    So beech, laurel, griselinla, Olearia macrodonta, leylandi & hornbeam are your ideas. I don't mind a bit of pruning each year, would prefer nothing with thorns (if any of above have), 3 kids etc...
    From speaking to friends beech seems to take forever to grow. Are all of above evergreen? Would like if possible a bit of colour throughout the year.
    I am very new to gardening, always admire other people's but don't have much knowledge. No problem getting stuck into it, will have to show himself how to dig!!
    So what from above would be the best to go with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

So beech, laurel, griselinla, Olearia macrodonta, leylandi & hornbeam are your ideas. I don't mind a bit of pruning each year, would prefer nothing with thorns (if any of above have), 3 kids etc...
    From speaking to friends beech seems to take forever to grow. Are all of above evergreen? Would like if possible a bit of colour throughout the year.
    I am very new to gardening, always admire other people's but don't have much knowledge. No problem getting stuck into it, will have to show himself how to dig!!
    Personally I would go with laurel. I was same as you 4 years ago. Knew nothing so I just chanced bare root laurel. They survived the 2 severe winters no problem and are now 6 foot tall. In fact. I just finished pruning them as they grow fairly quick.
    Do not plant Leylandi !
    That's my advice anyway for what it's worth

• Advertisement

The beech leaves do turn to brown in the winter but do not fall off whilst stunted as a hedge (no production of abscissic acid blah blah) so your not looking straight through it.. There's no such thing as a maintenance free hedge, but hope it all works out..happy hedge time!!

True, Beech isn't a native, stand corrected. But they have stood the test of the time and centuries. And fit in amazing in our landscape IMO.

The beech leaves do turn to brown in the winter but do not fall off whilst stunted as a hedge (no production of abscissic acid blah blah) so your not looking straight through it.. There's no such thing as a maintenance free hedge, but hope it all works out..happy hedge time!!

Also.....Hornbeam,Beech or any deciduous hedge will give you the ability to create leaf mold from the leaves and fantastic quality medium/soil for around the garden and for the likes of fruit/veg patches.:)

True, Beech isn't a native, stand corrected. But they have stood the test of the time and centuries. And fit in amazing in our landscape IMO.

It would be classed as a "naturalized" tree...just like Hornbeeam.

Neither are native,but are that long established in this great country and countryside of ours,that they may aswell be at this stage.

NO DONT touch Leylandi
    You and also your neighbours will regret it in a few years and every year of your life.

Beech and Hornbeam are deciduous....(leaves go a nice golden brown and dark brown in wintertime,and cling on till spring budding time).
    Both make for lovely hedges that can and will establish reasonably quick if you have the right soil conditions and look after them and water them regulary.
    They can make for lovely formal hedges and lovely backdrops to other areas of the garden and its plants/flowers.

When the leaves do drop...collect them and create leaf mold from them.
    Your garden,plants and any fruit and veg that you may grow will love you for it too.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    It would be classed as a "naturalized" tree...just like Hornbeeam.

Neither are native,but are that long established in this great country and countryside of ours,that they may aswell be at this stage.

paddy your'e gonna love this news release from Crann earlier in the year.

http://www.crann.ie/Press_Release:_Crann_calls_for_return_of_diaspora_trees_in_the_year_of_The_Gathering-objectID-1061-mode-0-RecordID-82-z-project.htm

I guess its all about geological periods!!! :D
    I would say..... NO.....:D being a purist and a stick in the mud ;)

deciduous hedges also have the benifit of letting in light during winter, a much sought after thing here in Ireland, esp on the dark side of a hedge, the cause of much consternation.

http://www.crann.ie/Press_Release:_Crann_calls_for_return_of_diaspora_trees_in_the_year_of_The_Gathering-objectID-1061-mode-0-RecordID-82-z-project.htm

I would say..... NO.....:D being a purist and a stick in the mud ;)

deciduous hedges also have the benifit of letting in light during winter, a much sought after thing here in Ireland, esp on the dark side of a hedge, the cause of much consternation.

Ah the dreaded light...it burns my eyes.:pac::pac:

Totally agree with you....especialy on a dull dark winter day.:)

That was/is one of the reasons why we planted the Hornbeam.......aswell as breaking the norm in an urban area and not planting an evergreen hedge.

Well when I say "we" I really mean my missus..;):D

Allmost every house has evergreen hedging......so she planted Hornbeam instead....which is lovely to see the contrasting colours aswell,as the leaves die off.
    Added bonus is great leaf mold for our gardens.:)

Ah the dreaded light...it burns my eyes.:pac::pac:

Totally agree with you....especialy on a dull dark winter day.:)

That was/is one of the reasons why we planted the Hornbeam.......aswell as breaking the norm in an urban area and not planting an evergreen hedge.

Well when I say "we" I really mean my missus..;):D

Allmost every house has evergreen hedging......so she planted Hornbeam instead....which is lovely to see the contrasting colours aswell,as the leaves die off.
    Added bonus is great leaf mold for our gardens.:)

Silly question paddy, but does the hornbeam have thorns? It is an issue for me, 3 kids running around, balls being kicked into hedge etc.
    When our house was being built, the builder planted blackthorn along back boundary fence, (cattle on other side). We had to cut them out two years ago as eldest lad nearly got his eye taken out with the thorns, and about 5/6 balls burst!!

Silly question paddy, but does the hornbeam have thorns? It is an issue for me, 3 kids running around, balls being kicked into hedge etc.
    When our house was being built, the builder planted blackthorn along back boundary fence, (cattle on other side). We had to cut them out two years ago as eldest lad nearly got his eye taken out with the thorns, and about 5/6 balls burst!!

NOPE....:)

NOPE....:)

Great thanks, will seek out a hornbeam hedge to see what it's like. 😉

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I would say..... NO.....:D being
    i'd heard about this. madness.

i'd heard about this. madness.

agreed, quite outside the pale.....:D

Advertisement