Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cordyline

• 08-08-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭

i bought a small cordyline yesterday for 3.99 in supervalu. bit of a small impulse buy ;)
    anyway i had planned on planting it to one side of garden shed door as i was under the impression that it was a small/medium sized shrub.
    having looked into it in a bit more detail i may be wrong?
    does it really grow into a massive palm tree?
    its a red cordyline

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

km79 wrote: »
    i bought a small cordyline yesterday for 3.99 in supervalu. bit of a small impulse buy ;)
    anyway i had planned on planting it to one side of garden shed door as i was under the impression that it was a small/medium sized shrub.
    having looked into it in a bit more detail i may be wrong?
    does it really grow into a massive palm tree?
    its a red cordyline

Depends on the variety

Take a look at the label - what is the specific variety given? It should also give maximum height and spread

On average and depending on variety they can grow from 3 - 10 metres in height

Few or any are hardy meaning that in Ireland nearly all cordylines were wiped out in the cold winters of a couple years back - though I have noticed that in costal areas of cork / Kerry some specimens have survived ....

Tbh I think they just look plain odd in the Irish landscape

Many previous planting that died in that cold spell dated from the 1970s and were often found outside sea side B&Bs to give them an exotic / holiday type chic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

No specifics I'm afraid . Could I keep it indoors ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No it indoors unless you have an old fashioned hot house However there is an indoor variety - it could be that is what you purchased?

Outside and For cold winters you can insuluate the stem and top with straw and sacking

As far as I know the red type varieties tend to be smaller than other varieties
    You could take a look online to try and figure out the variety for more specific details.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

You could but to be honest it's not an ideal indoor plant. Any chance you could keep it in a cool, well lit shed or porch in the winter and then wheel it out for the spring? The purple ones tend to be more frost/weather vulnerable but just a little protection will save them. The rain and wind will damage them and bad frost will kill them. We have a few monsters (green variety) - 7 or 8m plus - and the scent from their flowers is wonderful. The fallen leaves are not lawnmower friendly though and need to be picked before cutting the grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sounds like a disaster of a yoke :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Sounds like a disaster of a yoke :(

Not really - it can be a lovely plant in the right place. Put it in a nice pot in a sheltered spot and if we get a very frosty spell put it indoors or in a shed for a few weeks.
    Failing that, it might make a good present for someone :)

Advertisement