Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing a childminder to afterschool care

Options
  • 08-08-2013 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Folks

We've had our childminder since our kids were babies and she's great. We pay her about 350 a week. Both our kids are in school now our eldest is going into 3rd class and our youngest son is starting school in September.

The amount we pay should be coming down now that they are both in school but I'm not sure what the going rate is in this case.

Also this is a tricky conversation to have. Any advice on how we broach this would be appreciated.

Anyone have any thoughts on how much we should be paying.

Apologies if this is wrong forum for this
    Many thanks
    B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Yup it's a tricky one.
    Some people have no issues in asking for the reduction.
    But I look at it a bit differently .
    If your child minder is being paid less will she have to take on other kids to make up shortfall? . Would this affect her ability to mind your kids and traveling arrangements?
    If she is dropping kids too and from school she has extra traveling expenses. Also kids cost more to feed as they get older.
    Personally I've not asked For a reduction because I'd hate to lose my child minder .

Good luck what ever you decide

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

5 euro an hour is the going rate for after school care in the minders own home and then what ever discount she offers for siblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭moochers

Hey there OP,
    Last year when my two were in after school care (2.10-5.10) in the childminders own home, I was charged 25 euro a day for both children which was an excellent rate. Rates vary in different cities, don't know where you are based but I know that Dublin, for example, is expensive. I think 30/35 is a reasonable rate.

Advertisement