Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SoccerManager.com (#2) The Boards.ie World

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know there are some managers who don't sell that much, likely cause they got a very strong team when they started off, but that's their prerogative. No one should feel they HAVE to sell players.

I'm happy with how my transfers have gone since I started playing. I have shifted out a lot of players I don't personally rate, but I'd like to believe I sent most of them off to teams who were improved by those players, and I gave everyone a fair deal on prices or trades.

As far as buying goes, I've got my two levels of team; my first team and my cup team. As for selling....I've said before, I'll listen to all deals and if I think they are good, I'll always consider it. If I got a brilliant offer for Bale, I'd consider it. But then, I've yet to get anywhere near a brilliant offer for him. And I'm not going to make a deal which weakens my first team dramatically, or after which I feel I won't be able to get an equal replacement in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

swoody wrote: »
    cheers for selling Rodrigo Caio to me last season. went up another +3 today.

he's also the first São Paulo player to play 90 minutes in 24 consecutive games and he's still only 20 :cool:

I'm happy with Luca, even if he has left Juve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Did someone here say the iPhone app is out soon??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

I'm happy with Luca, even if he has left Juve

Sassuolo are the Elche of Serie A :pac:

Sassuolo are the Elche of Serie A :pac:

Sorted :cool:

• Advertisement

Sorted :cool:

can i interest you in Leali or Masi

I've 20m, I'll take your lowest rated player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm interested in a player that sounds like Leali Masi

I know there are some managers who don't sell that much, likely cause they got a very strong team when they started off, but that's their prerogative. No one should feel they HAVE to sell players.

I'm happy with how my transfers have gone since I started playing. I have shifted out a lot of players I don't personally rate, but I'd like to believe I sent most of them off to teams who were improved by those players, and I gave everyone a fair deal on prices or trades.

As far as buying goes, I've got my two levels of team; my first team and my cup team. As for selling....I've said before, I'll listen to all deals and if I think they are good, I'll always consider it. If I got a brilliant offer for Bale, I'd consider it. But then, I've yet to get anywhere near a brilliant offer for him. And I'm not going to make a deal which weakens my first team dramatically, or after which I feel I won't be able to get an equal replacement in.

people are beginning to lose interest in the game. my feeling is that if clubs like Bayern, PSG, Man U and others sold some bench warmers or reserves then the game would revitalise cause to me its getting to a point where it got stagnant. i like you have sold all my bench and reserves to help others but obviously we're a minority. 5 teams are free, probably 5 more soon and so on, nobody new is joining. this league will become like others where only 20 teams with 100+ players will be active and the other 60 will have 24 players, all no hopers. shame really. :(

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I'm interested in a player that sounds like Leali Masi

his manager might respond by 2020 inquire today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

How much effort goes into recruiting?

You're always going to lose players here or there. There are problems with the game and we've discussed them time after time but at this stage I'd be surprised if it was having an impact on the number of people playing.

People in the middle of the game may struggle to sign the players needed to step up to the top but for those of us in the bottom half of the pyramid it is very, very easy to spend money. If I had 20m I could probably sign three first team players.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    How much effort goes into recruiting?

You're always going to lose players here or there. There are problems with the game and we've discussed them time after time but at this stage I'd be surprised if it was having an impact on the number of people playing.

People in the middle of the game may struggle to sign the players needed to step up to the top but for those of us in the bottom half of the pyramid it is very, very easy to spend money. If I had 20m I could probably sign three first team players.

yeah but you'll never get a top top player as these clubs wont sell even if there not in the starting 11 or sitting on the bench. that's my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭batistuta9

people are beginning to lose interest in the game. my feeling is that if clubs like Bayern, PSG, Man U and others sold some bench warmers or reserves then the game would revitalise cause to me its getting to a point where it got stagnant. i like you have sold all my bench and reserves to help others but obviously we're a minority. 5 teams are free, probably 5 more soon and so on, nobody new is joining. this league will become like others where only 20 teams with 100+ players will be active and the other 60 will have 24 players, all no hopers. shame really. :(

and on the other side of the coin you've got 197 players

what is that doing for the smaller clubs with no money when someone comes in to take over, when you & a few others go signing every tom, dick & harry to put on a pair of football boots?

but that's the way you are playing so, so be it, it's your choice & right to play whatever way you want, same for me
    I'm not going to speak for PSG or Man U but the way i'm playing is trying to keep the squad i've got and if i can improve it then i'll let players go

as my good friend rayne wooney will testify to, i'm a fúcking shít manager, imagine how i'd be doing if i sold most of the better ones :pac:

as for people losing interest i think it always happens, for a number of reasons including the ones you & i mentioned, although i do think it happens far faster in this kind of setup (world GW)

also if people think they know about good young players/risers etc. or fancy themselves as some sort of keyboard fergie why don't they take over the struggling teams and see what they can do?
    i

batistuta9 wrote: »
    and on the other side of the coin you've got 197 players

what is that doing for the smaller clubs with no money when someone comes in to take over, when you & a few others go signing every tom, dick & harry to put on a pair of football boots?

but that's the way you are playing so, so be it, it's your choice & right to play whatever way you want, same for me
    I'm not going to speak for PSG or Man U but the way i'm playing is trying to keep the squad i've got and if i can improve it then i'll let players go

as my good friend rayne wooney will testify to, i'm a fúcking shít manager, imagine how i'd be doing if i sold most of the better ones :pac:

as for people losing interest i think it always happens, for a number of reasons including the ones you & i mentioned, although i do think it happens far faster in this kind of setup (world GW)

also if people think they know about good young players/risers etc. or fancy themselves as some sort of keyboard fergie why don't they take over the struggling teams and see what they can do?
    i

if you looked at the price of some of those players you'll find that about 139 of them are 10k - 1M cheapies and 58 are 1M -24M. i dont have 197 90+ players unlike some leagues i've seen. every player is for sale or loan at juve but i havent had offers till this week on 5 cheapies which i'll accept but i was waiting to see if other externals will bid. anyway i sold to buy i dont see the problem with that unlike you refusing to sell as you like the real Bayern team rather then building your own, if you don't want to sell, fine but its not good for the game imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'd agree that player hoarding is far more likely to stop people from playing than Div 1 teams not selling a bench warmer to a Div 2 team. It's certainly a much bigger issue for me.

I appreciate that 95% of these players are crap and would likely stay that way but I can't even take a punt on a youngster as when I've tried I get massively outbid by a bigger club who doesn't even need the player. It's extremely frustrating.

But obviously that isn't changing for all the reasons we've been over plenty of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭batistuta9

if you looked at the price of some of those players you'll find that about 139 of them are 10k - 1M cheapies and 58 are 1M -24M. i dont have 197 90+ players unlike some leagues i've seen. every player is for sale or loan at juve but i havent had offers till this week on 5 cheapies which i'll accept but i was waiting to see if other externals will bid. anyway i sold to buy i dont see the problem with that unlike you refusing to sell as you like the real Bayern team rather then building your own, if you don't want to sell, fine but its not good for the game imo.

i knew the prices of them - it's irrelevant

i'm not refusing to sell, everyone can be bought
    for the right price of course like Vidal, remember? you never said if you'd accept what i sent in the PM ( i hope you're the manager who has him or else i'm just mixing real life clubs up with the game)

you buying up everyone isn't good for the game either - how can you not see that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I can see Swoody's point.

I don't think any lower division teams are going to be prioritizing the purchasing of 10k players. That't not going to be an issue imo. Rather, what will hurt interest is when players get promoted or are trying to strengthen their first team and can't because people won't sell anyone over 88 rating.

That said, you can't pressure people into selling. I don't get the appeal of leaving high rated players with 0 appearances in the reserves, and I know I approached teams about such players when I was shifting round my first team at Spurs. I'd rather sell a player or use him as p/e rather than just have him sitting there eating away at my money.

But I guess some people just want to keep those players in case they improve? Or just to stop other players from improving their team? Different people will play the game in different ways I guess, but that's their prerogative.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'd agree that player hoarding is far more likely to stop people from playing than Div 1 teams not selling a bench warmer to a Div 2 team. It's certainly a much bigger issue for me.

I appreciate that 95% of these players are crap and would likely stay that way but I can't even take a punt on a youngster as when I've tried I get massively outbid by a bigger club who doesn't even need the player. It's extremely frustrating.

But obviously that isn't changing for all the reasons we've been over plenty of times.

how do you go about finding players.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

When ive acces to the laptop i'll post my squad, in's and out's...

I cant afford to let my benched 1st teamers go or im going to be playing 86-87s when 1st 11s get injured/banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Did someone here say the iPhone app is out soon??

I did, I follow SM on facebook ane the posted pics of a potential app, hooefully they press ahead with it

• Advertisement

I did, I follow SM on facebook ane the posted pics of a potential app, hooefully they press ahead with it

Thats class!!

Lads if ANYONE knows anyone who's interested tel em drop by.... Any here post in the football manager thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Thats class!!

Lads if ANYONE knows anyone who's interested tel em drop by.... Any here post in the football manager thread?

If you want this thread to be more active there should probably be a min post count on new managers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

My stance on selling and buying is this.

Everyone in my squad is potentially for sale, but only if I see it as benefiting me, whether that's instantly or in the medium/long term.

If the right bid comes and I think it leaves me in a better position, I'll sell anyone.

Seaneh wrote: »

Everyone in my squad is potentially for sale, but only if I see it as benefiting me, whether that's instantly or in the medium/long term.

If the right bid comes and I think it leaves me in a better position, I'll sell anyone.

I think pretty much everyone is the same.

If you want this thread to be more active there should probably be a min post count on new managers.

How would that help bud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Thats class!!

Yeah it looked easy to use from the pics I seen, im on my phone now but SM are easy to find on facebook and im sure the pics woukd be easy to find also...

Just about the transfer market, I dont think anything will change until one of the big boys becomes unmanaged... then another big team will raid them (or more than 1) and then that team (being stronger for it) will begin to sell some of their squaddies......

Suppose every now and then though there is a 'Tevez' type transfer, or even Madrid, fair play to him, he is at least doing business

Seaneh wrote: »

Same here.

Also if another manager puts in a bid for your player, think if they were in your position would they accept it, 90% of the time it's a definite no.

How would that help bud?

If I suggest to one of my friends it they want to join the league they'll say yeah but if I ask them to make a boards account and post here they'll probably not want to go through the effort, same with most people I'm guessing. At least if they have a few posts on boards they're more likely to start actively posting in this thread.

I'm guessing only ~20-30 of the 80 managers actually post here so it backs up what I'm saying about the friends joining the league but not posting on boards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Same here.

Also if another manager puts in a bid for your player, think if they were in your position would they accept it, 90% of the time it's a definite no.

I'll almost always negotiate instead of rejecting, if they are willing to atleast negotiate, I'm more willing to consider compromise, when they reply to my negotiated offer with their original offer again, I reject, if they aren't willing to budge, I'm not either.

• Advertisement

If I suggest to one of my friends it they want to join the league they'll say yeah but if I ask them to make a boards account and post here they'll probably not want to go through the effort, same with most people I'm guessing. At least if they have a few posts on boards they're more likely to start actively posting in this thread.

I'm guessing only ~20-30 of the 80 managers actually post here so it backs up what I'm saying about the friends joining the league but not posting on boards.

Perhaps from day one yes that would have been better but now we'd take new players in any form

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement