Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Rebirth in November

Options
  • 08-08-2013 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Had X3. It was flawed but entertaining. This however looks stunning. Hope my overclocked Q6600 and 6870 can play this with reasonable frames.

Specs required: (minimum Intel i-series 2GHz or equivalent/NVIDIA GT[X]400 or AMD 4870HD/4 GB RAM, recommended i5 quad or i7 2.5 GHz or equivalent/NVIDIA GT[X]500 or AMD 5870HD/8 GB RAM)

Edit: Hey Mods, this thread should probably be merged with this older thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have a feeling we will have a TON of Star Citizen clone games, like we had WoW clones back in the day.

Honestly, this looks really damn good and interesting. I presume Full on blast MMORPG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

According to it's Steam page, there is only single player with achievements. Pity.

According to it's Steam page, there is only single player with achievements. Pity.

Why on earth no on though of some sort of EVE online mmorpg, but with direct in cabin control mmorpg? Instead of we got a million WOW clones.
    Odd thing they introducing it as mmorpg in videos, not an SP game... Though even SP game likes this should be fun.

If the single player universe is flexible and responsive, I could definitely live with only single player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I have a feeling we will have a TON of Star Citizen clone games, like we had WoW clones back in the day.

Honestly, this looks really damn good and interesting. I presume Full on blast MMORPG?

This series has been around since the 90s its in no way a star citizen clone to call it such is a huge disservice to a very deep and very impressive game

• Advertisement

bizmark wrote: »
    This series has been around since the 90s its in no way a star citizen clone to call it such is a huge disservice to a very deep and very impressive game

I know, its a bit strong phrase for it, but we getting promised a lot of space sims these days. Its like a new fashion thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I know its a happy time to be an old wing commander/starlancer x2/x3 etc fan and current eve subscriber

bizmark wrote: »
    I know its a happy time to be an old wing commander/starlancer x2/x3 etc fan and current eve subscriber

I am thinking everyday of resubbing again. :( I need only to pay one month as I still got over 2bil ISK left over on account to keep me going for a while and buy plex to sub.
    Its just I am afraid to sink all my time in to it again. :(

It's funny, for years most the games from C64 onwards were based in Space. It was quite a revolutionary to step into the FPS for the first time, especially when they were all hell bent on realism. You could hand Hitler his ass in Wolfenstein. Anyway, it's coming full circle when we FPS on ships and space stations for realism in... you guessed it... space!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I was reading about it earlier,seems like a very interesting game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This looks really stunning.
    Kinda sad I'll probably never get around to building a machine for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I know, its a bit strong phrase for it, but we getting promised a lot of space sims these days. Its like a new fashion thing.
    And how many of them are coming via the traditional route of a boxed release from one of the larger publishers? There's the hint. :)

X Rebirth - Scale and Detail.

Another video here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Steam says it's available right about the same time my current contract ends and I become a jobless bum with way too much free time. This is clearly a sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I have X3 and really like it, i will be buying this. Its been likened to the offline version of eve in the past and i think it rings through you can basically do anything you want in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

I had x3 years ago, spent probably hundreds of hours going from having 1 little merchant ship to a fracking galactic corporation\empire with dozens of huge factories complexes, hundreds of automated merchant ships and whole fleets of battleships, carriers and fighters.

I seriously doubt I could have the time/patience to do that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It looks amazing and I loved the previous games, but one thing that bothers me is that all the blurb about it that I've read so far seems to indicate that you only have one ship, and nothing has said or even hinted that you can get others. I hope this is just an oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

humanji wrote: »
    It looks amazing and I loved the previous games, but one thing that bothers me is that all the blurb about it that I've read so far seems to indicate that you only have one ship, and nothing has said or even hinted that you can get others. I hope this is just an oversight.

From what I've heard you only directly smaller ships, and take the captains chair to command larger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

yeah the trailer seemed to say that you purchase other ships and then hire crew to fliy them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

To me it's refreshing to see a single player space game. We have MMO bleedin everything these days and as someone with zero interest in MMOs of any kind I'm glad these guys didn't get tempted. KOTOR, D & D, Elder Scrolls. The list of franchises that have gone over to my zero interest column is too big.

• Advertisement

I'd like to be able to drop into another persons universe and either help or hinder but I'd prefer it's stay as a mostly offline sandbox game.

mewso wrote: »
    To me it's refreshing to see a single player space game. We have MMO bleedin everything these days and as someone with zero interest in MMOs of any kind I'm glad these guys didn't get tempted. KOTOR, D & D, Elder Scrolls. The list of franchises that have gone over to my zero interest column is too big.

Thing is we got plenty off fantasy magic mmorpgs and we got only EVE online for space sim people. There is a market for proper space sim mmorpg with direct control.
    Saying this, its quite a good thing that this one is a single player. In a way it will be fun just to do your own stuff in your own world with no idiots around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Min spec of Win7 64bit is a bit risky. A lot of pc's are still on 32bit OS.

I've been hooked on these type of games since the original Elite game. So it's a given that I will buy this!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

limitedIQ wrote: »
    yeah the trailer seemed to say that you purchase other ships and then hire crew to fliy them.

I don't really like the sound of that. That's half the charm of the X series (barring the first one where you could only fly the one damn ship obviously) is upgrading your ship from a crappy scout to a heavy fighter, or jumping into a corvette for something more fighty, then going back to a transport for some manual trading runs. Show those stupid Universal Traders how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Looking forward to the game,

was seriously thinking it was dead or dying.

But wonder how it will compare with the upcoming game 'Star Citizen'

Edit: That Battlestar style ship at 1:54...... I want it!!!

I take it capital ships are still available to purchase and fly, there was some confusion over this on the x-forums??

Just found you cannot steer capital ships, and you may actually be stuck with your one ship, and control your fleet with 'drones'
    Sorry but one of the reasons I loved the other X games was the ability to directly control and steer capital ships and vessels I purchased.
    X-rebirth seems very similar to 'Darkstar-One'

May be Star-Citizen for me....but I will be keeping an eye on this.

The problem with steering the larger ships was others flying into you and your rep getting damaged, in the older games I'd only fly a capital ship myself if I jumping into a system and straight into battle; some weapons really needed a human player.

Hopefully the fix the in system/out system combat this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Varik wrote: »
    The problem with steering the larger ships was others flying into you and your rep getting damaged, in the older games I'd only fly a capital ship myself if I jumping into a system and straight into battle; some weapons really needed a human player.

Hopefully the fix the in system/out system combat this time around.

I found that in X3, the problem of 'whacking' other fighters rarely happened, they seemed to buzz around me. Only problems emerged near jumpgates, but with the carriers, you used your own jumpdrive to different sectors.

(Actually had a really cool mod, using the Battlestar Galactica and jumping into a fleet of Xenon ships, epicness)

I do not mind if I can be on my capital ship, direct orders like a battle-map, but still control ship functions, maneuvers, way-points, weapon strategy, etc.

humanji wrote: »

I think we only get to fly one ship directly, the ship you begin with. You can however fly drones of various types. The ship you fly can be upgraded also and you can hire more crew. I believe you can walk around the ship, and space stations etc. You give orders to your fleet. I guess simulating one ship in high-detail is one way of increasing the immersion of the game. Not everyone will be happy no doubt.

Edit:
    Capital ship control

Where the drones are your preferred vehicles for specialized tasks inside and near the surface of a station, capital ships are your vehicle of choice for all the many "big" tasks. From transportation of goods, collecting of resources like ore, gas or plasma up to large carriers and destroyers. They all exist in X Rebirth and you can of course own and operate many of them!

You can in fact even land on these beasts and get out of your playership to meet NPCs while watching the large ship move around in space FROM the deck of the ship!

You won't be sitting in the cockpit and steer such a capital ship from the first person perspective anymore simply because that is boring. Steering huge and slowly-turning ships manually just doesnt make sense. It would force us to make them turn and move unrealistically quick and even then they would be impossible to maneuver near our huge and complex shaped stations.

Instead the steering is done by NPCs who work for you but closely follow your orders. You can control capital ships who work for you in many new ways.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=306576

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

I know, its a bit strong phrase for it, but we getting promised a lot of space sims these days.
    Gimme freelancer 2 and I'd be a happy camper :)

• Advertisement

returnNull wrote: »
    Gimme freelancer 2 and I'd be a happy camper :)

Main reason I hated the original Xbox was rumours that MS cancelled Freelance 2 due to moving devs to console and the game not being suited for console.

Advertisement