Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Rebirth in November

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Freespace 3 is the only thing we really need.

This looks fantastic though. They've really added a lot to the game, and as usual, it's graphically stunning. Will definitely be picking this up. I also don't mind not being able to pilot larger ships, as they were a chore to move about, but i would like to be able to change into smaller ships. Never a fan of being stuck in the same ship for an entire game, even if it is upgradeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Have played all the X games so this is a definitely a purchase for me, dunno how many hours I wasted in X3 The Terran conflict.

It looks amazing and I think one ship fully completed and "walking-around-able" could be a better direction to take. I am sure in time the mod community for this will add more anyway. X3 didn't even come with cockpit views originally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I want to control a battlestar type craft.

I want a CIC, stand in the middle with my crew running around doing crew stuff

while I issue fleet commands.

To much?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

To much?

Have you considered a career in the US Navy?

We have Battlestars in the Navy now? :eek:

Sign me up! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

To much?

They tried it, it didn't work terribly well.

Sarky wrote: »

Nothing in that game worked well..or the 'arcade' version, "Universal Combat"

But Capital ship fighting worked well in X2 and X3. Had many a battle with Xenon ships and mine, side by side, blasting each other out of it, while fighters did their work.

It works very well in EVE online too.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident had some nice Capital ship controls too.

My money is currently on Star Citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ah, Nexus, I played a good bit of that back in the day, it was great up until some stealth mission or other that utterly refused to work for me. And the massively over-long intro, but meh.

Sarky wrote: »
    Ah, Nexus, I played a good bit of that back in the day, it was great up until some stealth mission or other that utterly refused to work for me. And the massively over-long intro, but meh.

The last missions with the big fleets were cool

In fact, think I may root around for that game and give it another go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Can't wait for this, heard a rumour that they are removing SETA from the game (A device that let you accelerate time up to 1000%), I wonder how that will affect it. Another cool thing they've mentioned is more customisability, especially regarding stations and capital ships, hopefully the days of kilometers of nightmarish tubes linking multiple stations is long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Can't wait for this, heard a rumour that they are removing SETA from the game (A device that let you accelerate time up to 1000%), I wonder how that will affect it. Another cool thing they've mentioned is more customisability, especially regarding stations and capital ships, hopefully the days of kilometers of nightmarish tubes linking multiple stations is long gone.

Used to park in my destroyer off to the side of an area and just have that going at full speed.

Having the thing on when docking was a bit frightening and I not sure if it was safe, I did occasionally kill myself doing that.

Varik wrote: »
    Used to park in my destroyer off to the side of an area and just have that going at full speed.

Having the thing on when docking was a bit frightening and I not sure if it was safe, I did occasionally kill myself doing that.
    It's really handy when you have 2 complexes and 8 Universe Traders going and need a bit of cash, or when you're training marines, I have had it mess with the autopilot though, once in a Centaur it managed to smash me into the side of a jump gate, just managed to stop it in time before I blew up.

, just managed to stop it in time before I blew up.

A lot of the time I think me interfering and going back to manual was what kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

They're going to have traffic lanes now, they look just like tubes that you can fly in to and pushes you along, there was a bit in the trailer showing them http://youtu.be/eNs1rdSkUi8?t=1m18s

Mantel wrote: »
    They're going to have traffic lanes now, they look just like tubes that you can fly in to and pushes you along, there was a bit in the trailer showing them http://youtu.be/eNs1rdSkUi8?t=1m18s
    Yeah, looks like a pretty cool way to get around, still, without SETA some things will take a long time, especially if station building takes much longer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Yeah, looks like a pretty cool way to get around, still, without SETA some things will take a long time, especially if station building takes much longer now.

While changes like this don't really endear me to the idea of the game, and I'm worried about how much they're changing (single ship, traffic lanes, no SETA, etc) they've earned a bit of trust with their efforts throughout the series. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and will almost surely get this game when it comes out.

Still apprehensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

After watching the vid I had flashbacks of Freelancer...

I'm surprised to hear there is no SETA and only a single ship, I can't compute how they intend to implement the x gameplay into that sort of scenario (whether you'd think of it as 'cheating' it was mighty handy to go sit in a quiet spot, whack on seta for 20-30 and go do something around the house for a while. I also just can't see a company that knows the only reason it has been so successful is it's freeform gameplay throw that away so I'd say I'm carefully interested in how this turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

X games terrify and confuse me, and i suck at them, but ill be damned if that trailer didnt make this game look like THE space game ive wanted all my life. Instabuy.

After watching the vid I had flashbacks of Freelancer...

I'm surprised to hear there is no SETA and only a single ship, I can't compute how they intend to implement the x gameplay into that sort of scenario (whether you'd think of it as 'cheating' it was mighty handy to go sit in a quiet spot, whack on seta for 20-30 and go do something around the house for a while. I also just can't see a company that knows the only reason it has been so successful is it's freeform gameplay throw that away so I'd say I'm carefully interested in how this turns out.

Yeah SETA was a really good way to speed up the boredom of system travel. Wasnt really cheating, just speeding up time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

X games terrify and confuse me, and i suck at them, but ill be damned if that trailer didnt make this game look like THE space game ive wanted all my life. Instabuy.
    Ha, I am the same.

I always loved the look/idea of the X games but never fully got into them. I always completed the main quests even thought it was never really meant to be the 'main' game. Building up an empire was always the goal but required some amount of patients/time, not to mention trying to position those space stations was a nightmare.

Saying that I have still pre-purchased X-Rebirth ...I am weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The convoluted control system has always been the weakness in the X series. Every time I stop playing for more than week or two, I forget half the controls of control requirements and feel like a new 'lost' player again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

returnNull wrote: »
    Gimme freelancer 2 and I'd be a happy camper :)

Free lancer was great fun. It was just right not to overwhelming.

I got X3 in a steam sale and had to look up how to set up trade vessels. It worked for a while but then they just stopped trading and I was spending most of my time in space idle with time set to full. It would be nice if they made this simpler. I guess I didn't have the time to really get stuck into the guts of things. I still will give this a go.

I'm glad it's not another MMO as the trading in those is just too time consuming. There are usually key stations that you just get undercut in by people logged in all the time or others that people just don't use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Out tomorrow:

Now if you could just turn off the sound effects for explosions and other stuff that you wouldn't actually hear in a vacuum I'd be delighted. Went to see Gravity last night and the silence of stuff going to sh1t is far more effective to me than any sound effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That's my Christmas game sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

mewso wrote: »
    Now if you could just turn off the sound effects for explosions and other stuff that you wouldn't actually hear in a vacuum I'd be delighted.

I decided a decade ago that all sci-fi involves technology that recreates plausible sound effects for pilots in space so as to avoid disorientation! It'd be a nifty gimmick but I really think sound effects are just much more fun.
    Went to see Gravity last night and the silence of stuff going to sh1t is far more effective to me than any sound effect.

Did you notice how they kind of gave up on it half way though? Like, we started hearing "whipping" noises as the debris went by and the boosters on the escape vehicle made a big flaming burst noise.

AAAnyway, I am super duper excited about this game and I am trying to stop myself from pre-ordering it before I see proper reviews but it looks so good.

I would love to play this tomorrow, but i don't have a gaming pc at the moment. I guess waiting a few months and having them iron out all the patches (and maybe get some mods to fix the usual minor issues) isn't such a bad thing.

I'll get the game cheap later, there'll be plenty of problems with the game for a long while.

Got stuck after 200 hours with a Goner missions messing up and was never able to get past it to get that huge ship at the end.

Actually just watched the launch trailer there...holy crap it's pretty. I know it always is, but still. Can't wait to see it in action when i do eventually get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

mewso wrote: »
    Out tomorrow:

Now if you could just turn off the sound effects for explosions and other stuff that you wouldn't actually hear in a vacuum I'd be delighted. Went to see Gravity last night and the silence of stuff going to sh1t is far more effective to me than any sound effect.

Turn off your speakers. No sound to build tension can work in a movie but I cant see it working for a game where you spend all your time in space.

Advertisement