Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Rebirth in November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Moon54 wrote: »
    I've just been watching a Twitch.tv livestream by Willfe and X-Rebirth has crashed about 5 times in the last hour. :(
    http://www.twitch.tv/willfe

I think I'll wait a while until the game gets patched up.
    Anyway I'm playing X3-Albion Prelude atm, so there's no rush to get this for me.

They can't patch the poor excuse for gameplay that's in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Jesus, the game is getting shredded on other forums. I was almost going to put my hand in my pocket and get this pre release. Sooo happy I didn't now. On the plus side I think I'll fire up a game of Terran Conflict and play X like it's supposed to be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

There is a lets play up here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2NAirDLYDE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I had this and Rome II pre-ordered since early August... shame on me really. Last pre-orders I'll be making for awhile.

I hope a few patches might improve somethings but god those character models look shocking! Ships and Stations look nice though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    I had this and Rome II pre-ordered since early August... shame on me really. Last pre-orders I'll be making for awhile.

I hope a few patches might improve somethings but god those character models look shocking! Ships and Stations look nice though :)
    That's what I just can't understand. The game looks amazing and they just put no effort into the character models. It's insane.

And I also can't believe that a single person at Egosoft saw the small-talk mini-game and thought it was good. I know I complained about it before, but it is mindbogglingly stupid.

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    That's what I just can't understand. The game looks amazing and they just put no effort into the character models. It's insane.

And I also can't believe that a single person at Egosoft saw the small-talk mini-game and thought it was good. I know I complained about it before, but it is mindbogglingly stupid.

They could cut out the need to enter stations and trade from the dock. From the lp it looks like a pain finding people.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Potatoeman wrote: »
    There is a lets play up here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2NAirDLYDE

Jesus...that's some crappy voice acting right there. Is it really that hard to find decent voice actors?

I'm getting the impression that they just used their own staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Kiith wrote: »
    Jesus...that's some crappy voice acting right there. Is it really that hard to find decent voice actors?

Not so much hard as expensive. It's a luxury (at least when compared against things like 3d models, textures, sfx, music), so it's probably pretty far down the list of priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Not so much hard as expensive. It's a luxury (at least when compared against things like 3d models, textures, sfx, music), so it's probably pretty far down the list of priorities.
    You say that but bad voice acting will shatter the immersion just as quickly as a dodgy texture. I've played games where I've had to turn the sound off entirely because the voices were so bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Reekwind wrote: »
    You say that but bad voice acting will shatter the immersion just as quickly as a dodgy texture. I've played games where I've had to turn the sound off entirely because the voices were so bad

Bad VO is an immersion killer, I agree. I've often wondered why they include it if it isn't up to scratch. Maybe it sounds okay in the developer's ears.

My point was that VO is less essential (i.e. it can be done away with) than the other things.

Reekwind wrote: »

They dont seem that bad but the same conversations to increase rep seems likea bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

They've already release mods to fix some of the most obvious annoyances. There's one that disables entering stations, another that gets rid of the stupid bloody shut up Betty dialogue and the constant SHOW ME YOUR WARES PLEASE nonsense.

I still think the fundamental gameplay just isn't really there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Zillah wrote: »
    There's one that disables entering stations, another that gets rid of the stupid bloody shut up Betty dialogue and the constant SHOW ME YOUR WARES PLEASE nonsense.

"Nice talking to you, NOT!"
    humanji wrote: »
    I'm getting the impression that they just used their own staff.

From the other X games I got the impression they just used a text to voice program, a few of the voice sound like the ones from X3 so it's the same job again but with less dialog planned out.

Zillah wrote: »
    They've already release mods to fix some of the most obvious annoyances. There's one that disables entering stations, another that gets rid of the stupid bloody shut up Betty dialogue and the constant SHOW ME YOUR WARES PLEASE nonsense.

I still think the fundamental gameplay just isn't really there.

You cant speed up time either. So it may force you to do other things. Not sure if its good or bad..

Considering that doing other things sabotages the trading AI, it is a bad thing. This happens many people very early in the campaign where their freighter gets stuck due to confusion over trying to follow you instead of doing the job.

It also charges to its death in the next mission by following you, even if you tell it to leave your squad. This game just doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

My 3rd hour playing, was flying around (after reloading the game, crashed several times)

Got a message from some argon police "You are now on the list of undesirable"
    No idea, what had happened, seems my freighter had been ramming other ships! Ugh, come on steam with the refund, game is broke :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

My 3rd hour playing, was flying around (after reloading the game, crashed several times)

Got a message from some argon police "You are now on the list of undesirable"
    No idea, what had happened, seems my freighter had been ramming other ships! Ugh, come on steam with the refund, game is broke :(

ah lol.... Poor old Egosoft.

I'm seeing a lot of rumours stating this game was basically going to be made for next gen consoles but they backed out of the idea and ported the game to a pc state hence the shoddy UI etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Is it possible to get a refund from Steam for Steam Wallet? I don't think g2play will refund seeing as the code is used.

They've officially apologised and say they're going to overhaul pretty much everything: Rock Paper Shotgun and the actual post on the Steam forums.

While I can't see it becoming as engrossing as the previous games, it has enough promise that it could be enjoyable if enough of the kinks were worked out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I gave that a read there and that's not much of an apology.....more a list of temp fixes.

"We are sorry if some of you are having issues" is pretty much the same as "I'm sorry if you were offended by that". It's pretty much a non apology. If the game is as broken as some claim than a proper mea culpa would sooth people a lot more.

Well they could go the usual developer direction of ignoring all criticism and claiming it's the users fault (EA, I'm looking at you :P ).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ah lol.... Poor old Egosoft.

I'm seeing a lot of rumours stating this game was basically going to be made for next gen consoles but they backed out of the idea and ported the game to a pc state hence the shoddy UI etc.

More info here.

- The fact the whole game was written around the Xbox controller. The whole UI and controls were designed around it. Keyboard+mouse works (kind of), but joystick support is abysmal, not to mention the other controllers like HOTAS, but what works seamlessly with the game is the Xbox controller alone.

- The control options are drastically cut back and there are unbindable and missing hotkeys. Kind of like all bad console ports we've seen. (no targeting controls? In a game with space dogfights? REALLY?!)

- Rebirth's engine uses DirectX 9.0c, not DX10 or 11, but 9, the same version used by the Xbox 360.

- Texture quality and graphical fidelity is horrible across the board. It's only made to look better by piling on tons of shaders and effects, which ultimately caused the appalling framerates on even the strongest rigs.

- Text on the screen is tiny and unreadable at high resolutions. But it's perfetly readable at 720p and lower (TV resolution).

- The FOV is locked to around 60 (perfect for TV).

- Heavily compressed file sizes (fit neatly on one DVD), mostly seen in Xbox360 releases. Not required (and actually counter productive) for PC releases.

- "Xbox" tags are all over in the game's files. In a PC-only game...

- The UI is terrible and a nightmare to navigate with anything other than the Xbox controller. There is also no gravidar (again, in a space game with dogfights), the map system is a joke and there are no control option for anything else.

- Now, it can be argued this is mere conjuncture, but the popular gimmicks (FPS mode), the flashy spectacle instead of functional graphics, horrible UI, the minigames and the woefully restricted gameplay is a staple of console games and console ports and have absolutely no place in PC-only simulator games. They look really out of place, not to mention no X title (or other PC space simulation) ever had any of these.

The controller support is for Steam's Big Picture. The 360 references in the code are because they used DirectX. Pretty much everything else is circumstantial and they have always spoken about it being a PC game.

It's bad but not for that reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Steam are refusing refunds.

But I am not giving up. Surely I am entitled to a refund under the 'Sales of Goods Act & Supply of Services' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Honestly im enjoying it, haven't crashed once.

Got hunted down by a Warden today, served me right I guess for going around blowing up PMC freighters engines for the laugh.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/903265586269793842/983FD60FE24636B135B4990FBB48297BE1A124AB/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Annoying all the apparent bugs, that screenshot looks pretty damn awesome.

Steam are refusing refunds.

But I am not giving up. Surely I am entitled to a refund under the 'Sales of Goods Act & Supply of Services' ?

I begining to see the downside of steam. A friend of mine got rid of his internet to save some cash and now cant play any of his steam games. It locks them all out after two or three weeks. The price for new games is the same and you get no physical product.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I begining to see the downside of steam. A friend of mine got rid of his internet to save some cash and now cant play any of his steam games. It locks them all out after two or three weeks. The price for new games is the same and you get no physical product.

What? Is this actually true? :eek:

I find this hard to believe and he's just pulling your leg. Sure you can play offline mode on nearly every game.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    What? Is this actually true? :eek:

I find this hard to believe and he's just pulling your leg. Sure you can play offline mode on nearly every game.

You need to sync up every few weeks. I think they look at it from the view that you could have multiple clients offline. We are going to see more of this online connection and licencing. So you dont own the games but lease them.

Advertisement