Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos in Ennis?

• 08-08-2013 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I heard Argos is coming to Ennis, anyone know if there is any truth in this?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There has been rumours that it'd be part of a new Tesco offering or in the place across the road from Flannan's, I'd imagine seeing as they are downsizing anyway and they have 3 stores in Limerick that Ennis wouldn't be part of their plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

noticed a shop on O'Connell St (opposite the O2 shop) today with piles of Argos catalogues in the window and a sign saying 'pick up your new catalogue today' or similar, but it was closed! Strange!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

dee_mc wrote: »
    noticed a shop on O'Connell St (opposite the O2 shop) today with piles of Argos catalogues in the window and a sign saying 'pick up your new catalogue today' or similar, but it was closed! Strange!

I noticed that as well actually now that you mention it, I would imagine a shop like that would be way too small for Argos though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Clareman wrote: »
    I noticed that as well actually now that you mention it, I would imagine a shop like that would be way too small for Argos though

To be honest, small Argos's aren't all that uncommon in small towns in the uk

I've known them to be in places smaller than Ennis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

There is a shop beside Paddy Power handing out catalogues since last week. Herself picked up one. She inquired where they opening one and was told no they were not. It could be also be a feeler to see if there is enough of a demand in Ennis for a shop. I would think that there is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

With people buying more and more stuff online I don't see there being as much of a run on these places as there was in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Homebase which has same parent company as Argos has gone into examinership in Ireland. Seems Argos which is struggling also is just having a go at upping distribution of catalogues.

ads20101 wrote: »
    To be honest, small Argos's aren't all that uncommon in small towns in the uk

I've known them to be in places smaller than Ennis.

I was thinking more the physical size of the shop rather than the town, looking at the 3 in Limerick they need a rather sizeable warehouse out the back and a largish shop front for their shops, that shop on Abbey St. is small even for a shoe shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Maybe children's shoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I would think that Argos needs to be on a busy street or a busy mall like Dunnes. They would need at least 10,000ft2 of warehousing. Hard to see it coming to Ennis until a new shopping centre does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

buck65 wrote: »
    Maybe children's shoes?
    Off topic but isn't there already a children's shoe shop in Ennis near the cinema?
    I don't think there would be enough business for an Argos in Ennis with Limerick so close, never saw catalogues stocked anywhere other than in Argos stores though, so I wondered if they had plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

I don't know where I saw it but I'm sure I read somewhere that Argos was considering changing the way they do business as in order online / instore for collection instore with stock to be kept in central warehouses and shipped as ordered. If that were the case they wouldn't require huge premises in Ennis?

Probably just wishful thinking I'm a bit of an Argos addict:o

Found linky: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9630203/End-of-the-road-for-the-Argos-catalogue.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

dee_mc wrote: »
    Off topic but isn't there already a children's shoe shop in Ennis near the cinema?

Yeah there is, I think this is the place your talking about

http://www.piggyshoes.com/

I don't know if it would do well in town to be honest. It would be good to have, but I try to support local businesses too when I can, instead of the MNCs.

Advertisement