Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onions

• 08-08-2013 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Below is a photo of some of my onions (Sorry its so bad, dark and wet outside and on a camera phone). When can I harvest them? Iv read everywhere that they fall and then turn yellow. How long does this take? They are fallen 3-4 weeks now, but the leaves are still green.

266351.jpg

Cheers!!!
    SP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

I personally would lift them now and let them hang on a trellis or some type of mesh. Leaving them in the ground any longer may lead to rot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Are you happy with the size? You could give them a feed to bulk them up more before lifting them. Unless the conditions were atrocious wet I would leave them till the leaves are obviously turning brown/yellow. But that's just me. Looks like they have plenty of life left in them so up to you really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

First time growing oinions this year. I pulled mine a couple of weeks after the stalks collapsed. They were not very big so immediately pickled them and set them aside for at least a month..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Really depends on the weather OP. I normally start to test them when they get to the stage in your pic and gently pull at one or two if they come up very easily then its time to harvest if the weather looks like it going to be wet for a while or leave them to dry off naturally if the weathers going to be hot. Either way once you pull them dry off fully on greenhouse staging or somewhere you can get them nice and dry before storing. Traditionally you pull them all on the morning of a hot dry day and leave then in situ on their sides to dry off before final drying on mesh frames as already suggested but we can't always rely on the weather to do that.

If you have any that started to flower (any you picked the flower buds off) they don't keep very well because they are wide necked so put them to one side and use them first.

Advertisement